Fields of cosmos

jack two
The new improved Jack Holloway v.2

Fields of cosmos

30 Mar '08 12:10 am
Since no-one has posted a garden tour since 1 Jan (what a lazy, housebound bunch we are!) I will tell you about the fields of cosmos on this forum. I've just returned from an 1800km roundtrip to pick up a 2nd hand vehicle. Seems crazy? But it was worth it! We are upgrading from wheelbarrows on the farm. After much research I decided that an ancient (and thus cheap) but mechanically sound 4x4 truck or ute (known as a 'bakkie' in SA) was what I needed, rather than a garden tractor or quadbike combo. I then traced the perfect vehicle, proudly owned and not used too often over 18 years, to a rather distant place. Having driven it home over 900km I am convinced it was an excellent buy - and I am pleased to be back in my air-conditioned vehicle!

We passed through the flattish plains of the central highlands where cosmos has become naturalised. In my youth we used to drive through the area every easter and one of my earliest memories is of fields of cosmos, often growing in lands left fallow. This past summer was a particularly good one and the cosmos was gorgeous. I share a few pics with you! For the curious, they were taken in the Freestate, near the Gauteng border and the town of Villiers on the main highway between Durban and Johannesburg.
Freestate.jpg
fields of cosmos.jpg
clouds of cosmos.jpg
cosmos and light.jpg
cosmos in the wind.jpg
cosmos detail.jpg
Reason for the trip.jpg

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

30 Mar '08 12:25 am
How very beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

faerisweet
Poolville,Texas

beautiful

30 Mar '08 4:46 am
I plant a few every year because I can't resist the lacy delicate look of them. They are a lot hardier than they appear tho.

moosey
head gardener

31 Mar '08 3:25 pm
I never imagined cosmos growing like this. Wow! I plant some every year - I love the colours, and for me they are a late summer flower. But to see fields of cosmos - really beautiful! And go the new farm truck. So ancient equals cheap, does it? Hmm... wish I hadn't sold my old morris minor...
cheers
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

GardenGnome
Happily Toiling Away
Regina, Saskatchewan

WOW!

4 Apr '08 7:23 am
Just amazing! Made our day to see this.

Thanks, Jack.

Christopher
A Gnome's at home in his garden.

Mark
Home gardener & plant fetishist
Berkeley, California, USA

Delicious!

8 Apr '08 4:32 pm
That fourth one, Cosmos and Light, should be a jigsaw puzzle or a poster. I think the balance between having the maximum number of blooms to get that feelinig of plenty -while at the same time having each bloom large enough to appreciate in some detail- is perfectly achieved. Also the variety in color shading is just wonderful. It could almost be an impressionist painting.
Mark in California

Q: "Do you ever sit down?"
A: "All the time until the urge to 'play' some more becomes too strong."

Return to Garden Tours