moosey
head gardener

4 May '08 8:35 pm
Jack, When I saw your latest wildlife posts this morning I was tempted to stay inside and read and click. But self-discipline kicked in, and now I'm back, it's evening, probably will be the first real frost (down to 2 degrees C already). I just wanted to say how much pleasure I got and am getting (bad grammar!) from peering at these photos.

I love the turquoise bird - what a camera charmer! My heart goes out to warthogs - like British bulldogs they are considered uglies, so I've always been a fan.

I haven't got much to add, really - would love to one day just see these creatures wandering around. Big cats, zebras, giraffes - you are so lucky to live so close and to be able to experience them not in a zoo or on the discovery channel!
Cheers.
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

jack two
The new improved Jack Holloway v.2

A few shots from day three

4 May '08 8:51 pm
After a stunning brunch (cooked by you-know-who) outside our hut overlooking the river (one of the nicest positions in my favourite camp, right in front, right on the side so that one is hardly aware of anyone else), we set off on the day's adventures. On the whole this was the most low-key day (well afternoon, to be exact: midday to sunset) of the trip. Sunset and its highlights I'll look at separately!
37 Brunch outside our hut after the walk - the Olifants River below us.JPG
38 Looking back up the Olifants from the point closest to the confluence one can reach.JPG
39 Hippos basking; find them in the previous pic; find the Impala in this one.JPG
40 Looking towards the confluence.JPG
41 Young Impala rams, 5-6 months old.JPG
42 And a young ewe, hanging out with the girls to one side; Impala have very strict social groupings.JPG
43 A fine Baobab by the side of the road.JPG
44 Stapelia gigantea in  flower in thewild - the first time I've seen this.JPG
The common name is carrion flower and it both looks and smells like rotten meat. It is polinated by flies (and I'd guess successfully so!)The flowers can be 250-400mm across, of the largest in the plant kingdom.
45 Bushveld trees.JPG
46 Fine Bushveld tree in fine Bushveld scenery.JPG

jack two

The highlight?

11 May '08 6:53 am
Was this the highlight? I believe so. The simple combination of arriving (without planning it so) at the bridge across the Olifants River just at sunset, and the pure chance that the elephants were there and crossing... the rather chocolate boxy photos don't do justice to the grandeur of the moment. Suffice to say that I think for our guests this was the highlight of the many good moments during our visit! Cheers, Nick and Sophie!
47 As we get to the bridge over the Olifants River we realise two things - it is sunset, and the elephants are crossing.JPG
48 And the rest is silence.JPG
49.JPG
50.JPG
51.JPG
52 Mommy wait for me!.JPG
53.JPG
54.JPG

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

11 May '08 2:46 pm
Wonderful photos. How special for you to be able to see it.

Mark
Home gardener & plant fetishist
Berkeley, California, USA

12 May '08 12:32 am
Definitely a highlight but on a trip with lots of comptetition for that status. Fantastic!
Mark in California

Q: "Do you ever sit down?"
A: "All the time until the urge to 'play' some more becomes too strong."

jack two

Nick's pics

18 May '08 10:01 pm
These last photo's, taken by Nick, I just have to share with you... (my camera missed the moment); on the last days we came across a kill, perhaps in its second day. The lions, which we could not see, had dragged a giraffe into the bushes and were now guarding their next meal. The jackals and hyenas were doing their best to get at some of the meat. Every now and then they would scatter, obviously as the lions were chasing them. But as we arrived on the scene one triumphant hyena managed to (or was allowed to?) escape with a leg that the lions had lost interest in. He ran across the road, pursued by other hyenas hoping to take his prize.
The hyena that stole the giraffe's leg from the lions.JPG
The hyena - a proud creature.JPG
Despite its reputation for cowardice and its silly giggle.jpg
Jackal, the African fox.JPG

mandys
helper

RE: Visit to Kruger Park

19 May '08 6:58 pm
Its wonderful shots. Very well done. Please Keep posting.

Thanks,
Mandys
--------------------
New Trends in Spring Fashion

paragshah
helper

Kruger park animals

27 Feb '10 8:59 pm
Kruger is one of the premier game-watching destinations in the world.Approximately 145 mammal species occur in the park.It is possible to see all the classical African big game, including elephant, black and white rhino, hippopotamus, giraffe, zebra, buffalo, warthog and many antelope species.The only way you can experience the magnificence of the http://www.travelafrica360.net/kruger-national-park-largest-game-reserve-in-africa.htmlKruger%20Park is to come and experience it for yourself,and while you're at it,experience this country with its unique peoples,heritage and beauty a world in one country.

paragshah
helper

Re: Kruger park animals

27 Feb '10 9:02 pm
Kruger is one of the premier game-watching destinations in the world.Approximately 145 mammal species occur in the park.It is possible to see all the classical African big game, including elephant, black and white rhino, hippopotamus, giraffe, zebra, buffalo, warthog and many antelope species.The only way you can experience the magnificence of the http://www.travelafrica360.net/kruger-national-park-largest-game-reserve-in-africa.htmlKruger%20Park is to come and experience it for yourself,and while you're at it,experience this country with its unique peoples,heritage and beauty a world in one country.[/quote]

Previous

Return to Garden Tours