Pusslil
honoured member
Matamata NZ

THE GARDEN OF JEANETTE BLACKBURN.. Rotorua NZ

9 May '07 3:47 pm
Back in March I was invited to go see the gardens and gallery of one of New Zealands most famous Wildlife,Flora and landscape Artists. One has to make an appointment to visit (for a small cost) but what a treasure trove of delights her place is!

Arriving at her gate you would think..." Oh a small garden..." but once in the high gates you get an idea that this is much more than a"City garden" We were met at the gates by Jeanette herself as she is your Guide for the ramble! Every visitor is treated like a family member and within a few minutes you feel as if you are a VIP!
The whole of their land is about 1/3 acre and no lawns...all garden of the most beautifully planned colours, foliage and variety. Paths are cobblestones for easy walking too! They have lived in this home for 41 years!

Her husband is the gardener while Jeanette concentrates on her painting,but her love of plants is as avid as his..she knows the name and history of every plant they have and many feature in her work. The ramble took just over an hour and even then I did not get to see it all... I got caught up in her Gallery but that's another story!
I took some photos but kept forgetting I had a camera... there was so much to admire!

Jeanette's garden is visited by many overseas Tourists... by the busload and by individuals.... people get a double whammy when they visit here!

Here the photos I did manage to take....
DSCN1174.JPG
Looking back toward the 'front'
DSCN1178.JPG
Buzzie Lizzies in one of the raised borders
DSCN1181.JPG
I can't remember the ame of this plant...it's a pendulant plant and exquisite to look at!

'A garden is a love song, a duet between a human being and Mother Nature'

Pusslil
honoured member
Matamata NZ

9 May '07 3:55 pm
A few more photos...
DSCN1170.JPG
One of the really good statuary in the garden
DSCN1172.JPG
A huge Hosta that looked splendid near a pond
DSCN1182.JPG
Another shot of that other plant in previous post
DSCN1173.JPG
Tuberous begonias just starting to come away... note the concrete toadstool in the back...
DSCN1179.JPG
A close up of semper begonias..these were massed under atree at the entrance to the Gallery,an amazing sight but I wanted a closeup not the whole picture!

Pusslil
honoured member
Matamata NZ

9 May '07 4:05 pm
Mmmm.. I may have sharpened those pics a bit much :roll:

If anyone wants Jeanette's Web addy I'll pass it on....
I must say here that she donated one of her Limited Editions to the Charity I am treasurer of...we raffled it to raise funds and surprise surprise I won it!

Here it is unframed....
DSCN1188.JPG
"Bushland Farming"
The bush in the background is taken from the Mamaku's near me!

Anna
Gone to seed
Hamilton, New Zealand

10 May '07 1:49 pm
Great to see you again Pusslil. :)

I must say I have no idea what the mystery plant is, but I like it!
It looks to be a nice place. Yet another to add to my must see list. :)
Woof?

Return to Garden Tours