Mark
Home gardener & plant fetishist
Berkeley, California, USA

Longwood Gardens,another stop in the summer of 2005

22 Apr '07 6:40 am
This is one of those huge estate gardens left to us plebian sorts by one of the robber barons of the last century here in the U.S., Pierre S. du Pont. Perhaps an overly harsh description, but be that as it may with enormous inequities in wealth comes the possibility of creating gardens on an other-worldly level of scale and expense. Longwood Gardens is such a place. I always wanted to go to see these enormous water lilly pads, hybrids over a meter wide purportedly capable of supporting the weight of a 70 pound child. (They don't actually let you try this.) Here are some of the more in-focus pictures I managed to squeeze off.
Lia @ Pond.jpg
My much better half at lilly pond.
Blush Pink W.jpg
Blush pink water lillies.
Blue w.jpg
Pink W Lillies.jpg
Pipevine Swallowtail in flight.jpg
Pipevine Swallowtail.jpg
Hot house hibiscus.jpg
Hot house plant.jpg
Lilly Pad detail.jpg
Lilly Pads 1.jpg
Mark in California

Q: "Do you ever sit down?"
A: "All the time until the urge to 'play' some more becomes too strong."

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

Beautiful pictures!

22 Apr '07 7:42 pm
Mark, how beautiful, joyful pictures you present us here! I love the butterfly photos, too! And your Lia looks so lovely!

I wonder , if a golden yellow climbing Rose I have , which is called "Madame P.S.du Pont", is his creation! She is the first to bloom like crazy every end of Spring -- now she is already full of buds. But, although I bought her as scented and Repeating, she scarcely has any bloom in July-August...She looks like a twin sister of Maigold climbing Rose.
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

Anna
Gone to seed
Hamilton, New Zealand

22 Apr '07 8:18 pm
I always wanted to go to see these enormous water lilly pads, hybrids over a meter wide purportedly capable of supporting the weight of a 70 pound child. (They don't actually let you try this.)

Darn. *excuses 70 pound child whose presence is no longer required*
Woof?

Mark
Home gardener & plant fetishist
Berkeley, California, USA

Liza and Anna, glad you were able to take the tour

23 Apr '07 4:31 am
I'm such a reluctant, miserly photographer. There are so many gardens I've seen that would be nice to share. Now that I have a place to share them maybe I'll be more inspired to take out the camera.

Anna, I know one of those pads won't support me but I'd be willing to try to balance over three of them, like the old game of twister.

Liza, thanks for noticing my Lia. Do you know she has ten years on me but everyone thinks I'm the older one. It is amazing how little grey hair she has while most of mine has gone white. With her father going strong at 92 (and everyone thinks he is her age) I think I may yet get a good return on my investment. Heck, I've already gotten 24 good years.

Did you know they put a kind of 'blacking' in the water with the lillies to set them off better?
Mark in California

Q: "Do you ever sit down?"
A: "All the time until the urge to 'play' some more becomes too strong."

Return to Garden Tours