Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

Springtime in Ancient and Modern Athens/The Acropolis-Museum

16 Apr '07 7:10 pm
This beautiful city with the million facets, one of the most densely populated capitals of the world, used to have lions and tigers among its forest fauna...This is what we see in certain ancient wall paintings found in its precious ancient monuments...

The Spring Athens by the sea -- in its south, is about a month ahead from the rest of it, like its northetn suburbs, where I used to live...It is warmer and more summer like...People were already swimming during these last Easter holidays in certain areas..I will show you now, some of the bloomers I met in some private gardens, especially by the sea:

1-- Springtime in Modern Athens:
Springtime in Modern Athens.JPG
Springtime in Modern Athens (1).jpg
Springtime in Modern Athens (2).jpg
Springtime in Modern Athens (3).JPG
Springtime in Modern Athens (4).JPG
Springtime in Modern Athens (5).jpg
Springtime in Modern Athens (6).jpg
Springtime in Modern Athens (7).JPG
Springtime in Modern Athens (8).JPG
Springtime in Modern Athens (9).JPG
Springtime in Modern Athens (10).jpg
Springtime in Modern Athens (11).JPG
Springtime in Modern Athens (12).JPG
Springtime in Modern Athens (13).JPG
Springtime in Modern Athens (14).JPG
Springtime in Modern Athens (15).JPG
Springtime in Modern Athens (16).JPG
Springtime in Modern Athens (17).JPG
Springtime in Modern Athens (18).jpg
Springtime in Modern Athens (19).jpg
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

16 Apr '07 7:28 pm
2-- Springtime in Ancient Athens.

Ancient Athens is found all around the Sacred Rock , around and in the Acropolis site, and near the old city of Plaka, at the Ancient Agora, the ancient market place. Of course, the bloomers are mainly wild flowers, but there are some blooming trees as well, like the Judas Tree (botanical name??) and a lovely Mimoza:
The Acropolis Spring Gardens.JPG
The Acropolis Spring Gardens (1).JPG
The Acropolis Spring Gardens (2).JPG
The Acropolis Spring Gardens (3).JPG
The Acropolis Spring Gardens (4).JPG
The Acropolis Spring Gardens (5).JPG
The Acropolis Spring Gardens (6).JPG
The Acropolis Spring Gardens (7).JPG
The Acropolis Spring Gardens (8).JPG
The Acropolis Spring Gardens (9).JPG
The Acropolis Spring Gardens (10).JPG
The Acropolis Spring Gardens (11).JPG
The Acropolis Spring Gardens (12).JPG
The Acropolis Spring Gardens (13).JPG
The Acropolis Spring Gardens (14).JPG
The Acropolis Spring Gardens (15).JPG
The Acropolis Spring Gardens (16).JPG
The Acropolis Spring Gardens (17).JPG
The Acropolis Spring Gardens (18).JPG
The Acropolis Spring Gardens (19).JPG
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

16 Apr '07 7:48 pm
3-- The Acropolis:

The Acropolis , meaning "city on the summit", is built on a hill, called The Sacred Rock, found in the center of modern Athens. It has always been a powerful fortress, from the prehistorical times. After the invasion and destruction by the Persians , the Acropolis was reconstructed with the glory we all know during the "Golden Century of Pericles", meaning during the 5th century B.C. The surface of the site is 300x150m, and 156 m h. from the sea level.It is 60-70m h. from the base of the Rock.

The site includes :

a) The Parthenon (= The Temple of the Virgin godess Athena) : The Temple dedicated to godess Athena. The huge statue of Athena used to stand in the middle of the Temple, made thoroughly by gold and elephant tooth. The Parthenon is 70m long, and 31m large. Its construction started in 447BC, and lasted for 9 years.

b)The Erehthion (420-404B.C.):the Temple dedicated to god Possidon the Erehthean, and godess Athena, protector of the city.

c) The Propylaia (= before the main entrance), and the Temple of Athena Niki (=the victorious Athena).

In the photos which follow, you will also see some very important monuments of the Ancient Agora (= ancient market place) site, The Temple of God Ifaistos (one of the best preserved ancient, very important, monuments, 450B.C.), and The Stoa of Attalos ( the Attalos Gallery).

You will also see The God Dionyssos ancient theater, the most beautiful of all the ancient Greek theaters, found at the roots of the Sacred Rock:
Reconstruction of Acropolis site on the Sacred Rock.JPG
Reconstruction of Parthenon.JPG
Ancient Athens -  Acropolis.JPG
Aspect of Erehthion.JPG
Caryatides.JPG
Erehthion.JPG
Erehthion, 420-406BC, the  Caryatides.JPG
Propylaia.JPG
Propylaia ( =before the main entrance), and the Temple of Godess Athena Niki (= victorious Athena).JPG
Stoa of Attalos (= the Attalos  Gallery), Ancient Agora site..jpg
The ancient theater of god  Dionyssos 450BC.JPG
The Erehthion.JPG
The god Dionyssos Theater.JPG
The Parthenon.JPG
The Parthenon, 447 BC.JPG
The Parthenon, front..JPG
The Parthenon,back.JPG
The Sacred Rock, Acropolis.JPG
The Temple of god Ifaistos  450BC, Ancient Agora site..jpg
Acropolis and the old city Plaka..jpg
Last edited by Liza on 16 Apr '07 10:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

16 Apr '07 8:15 pm
4-- The Acropolis Museum:

This museum is a rather small museum, found on the Acropolis site, but with gigantic in importance treasures! The NEW Acropolis Museum has been being under construction for some years now near the Plaka area, and -- they announce -- it is going to be brilliant.

For me, All the ancient monuments of Athens do not belong only to the Greek People, but to all Humanity, like the Egyptian Treasures, for example.

Please, be informed about the Museum and its treasures here:

http://www.culture.gr/2/21/211/21101m/e211am01.html
The Acropolis Museum.JPG
The Acropolis Museum (1).JPG
The Acropolis Museum (2).JPG
The Acropolis Museum (3).JPG
The Acropolis Museum (4).JPG
The Acropolis Museum (5).JPG
The Acropolis Museum (6).JPG
The Acropolis Museum (7).JPG
The Acropolis Museum (8).JPG
The Acropolis Museum (9).JPG
The Acropolis Museum (10).JPG
The Acropolis Museum (11).JPG
The Acropolis Museum (12).JPG
The Acropolis Museum (13).JPG
The Acropolis Museum (14).JPG
The Acropolis Museum (15).JPG
The Acropolis Museum (16).JPG
The Acropolis Museum (17).JPG
The Acropolis Museum (18).JPG
The Acropolis Museum (19).JPG

Jack Holloway
Passionate Gardener
SEQUOIA FARM Haenertsburg South Africa

Greek Culture

17 Apr '07 5:47 am
Oh Liza!

How your photos have reminded of me of the young Jack, to whom anything of the Ancient Greeks, especially the architecture and the theatre, was the highest of human achievement! How the Acropolis, even in ruin and knowing it is surrounded by an unbeautiful bustling modern metropolis, is still perfect in its severe simplicity, and its intricate spacial relationships.

I won't get to Athens this year - but I have promised myself: Athens is my next destination!

Mark
Home gardener & plant fetishist
Berkeley, California, USA

Wonderful, Liza.

17 Apr '07 3:53 pm
Lia just came over to see what was up because your photos have elicited so many "wow"'s and "oh, my gods". (Apparently I got pretty loud.) Breath taking! I love every picture with the water showing. The statues take me back to Southern France and Italy, chasing down roman ruins. We've got to go there!

The Judas tree I think is called Cercis siliquastrrum. There is a relative native to california and western north america we call "Redbud", cercis occidentalis. Yours is so much showier. I was guessing that it was one of those very fragrant shrubby plants we can't grow well here .. lilac.

Enjoy your stay!
Mark in California

Q: "Do you ever sit down?"
A: "All the time until the urge to 'play' some more becomes too strong."

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

17 Apr '07 7:24 pm
Dear friends, I appreciate the fact that you enjoyed this experience of mine, and you felt this blessed "something", by watching these photos...It would be impossible not to share with you , especially this experience! I have been in Acropolis only 4-5 times in my whole life, but this time was the best. It was 3-4pm, sunny, warm, with a tender breeze on our face. The Greeks were having their afternoon siesta (those who were at home, back from work), and the most of the tourists were by the sea or in the restaurants. So, the Acropolis site had only a very few tourists compared to other times, which was ideal...

Jack! You are so right saying, that the eternal beauty is surrounded by the modern ugliness of a conteporary huge city. Just look at the two of the photos I added : the god Ifaistos Temple , and the god Dias Temple...Concerning your next visit, it would be ideal , if we also happen to be there with our elder son...

Mark! I am so happy you enjoyed this post! I know, I would react in the same way , if the post -- I mean the cultural part -- was sent by someone else!!Thank you so much for your botanical information!! I will go to my books to learn more about this beauty! Give my regards to your Lia!

Enjoy some more photos! Cheers!
The ruins of the great Temple of god Olympian Dias (Zeus), seen by the Acropolis..JPG
The God Ifaistos Temple, seen by the Acropolis.JPG
The Acropolis Museum (3).JPG
The Acropolis Museum (2).JPG
The Acropolis Museum (1).JPG
The Acropolis Museum.JPG
Alexander the great (1).JPG
Alexander the great.JPG
A little angel, sleeping in the arms of her grandma outside Parthenon..JPG

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

Fantastic Pictures!

17 Apr '07 7:27 pm
Hi, again, Liza!

I've been going through the forums tonight and catching up on things a bit. Once again, you've posted an amazing set of pictures! I loved them all, but especially the 2 of the butterfly (or was it a moth?).

By the way, we also have a relative of the Judas tree called Cercis canadensis. The one most commonly seen is a garden cultivar named, "Forest Pansy" which has large, heart-shaped purple leaves. I don't think its flowers are nearly as spectacular as the Judas tree's, however.

Like Jack, I used to be a strong "greekophile", if that is a word, and read all I could on the ancient culture. I loved the works of Aristophanes in my undergraduate days; in fact, now that I think of it, perhaps I should read "The Frogs" again!! I always find it somewhat disconcerting when I see pictures of the famous ruins that show the modern, less-than-wonderful buildings surrounding them. Somehow, it jars my mental image of the monuments and makes me want to stay at home with my imaginings of what it used to be like rather than face the reality of it all!

But, then there are all the other wonderful things that your pictures have shown us all! Things like the vignettes of tiny plants growing from cracks in the stones of these ancient buildings and shading those ancient, storied walls! Oh, yes, it WOULD be great to see it after all!

Cheers,

gordonf

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

Gordon, dear Gordon!

17 Apr '07 8:11 pm
I am SO touched that you felt like I do about the butterfly( she is the same lady; I was chassing her!), and the flowers growing from the ancient ruins...And how not to wish to stay at home , when I think back of the Beauty surrounded by this ugliness... But , just look at this angelic face sleeping outside Parthenon.. I would not like to miss her, too...

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

Incredible

19 Apr '07 6:45 am
I have only just had a chance to catch up with the forums .I am putting these photos in my folders to keep ,as to see these fabulous things from a first hand perspective is so special .I was taken with the first statue shown ,and was bemused ,as I don't think I have ever seen a smiling statue ! ! The only ones I have seen have somewhat blank expressions ! I,too, read so much as a child about the culture and enlightenment of early European civilisations ,and indeed am still fascinated ,and read much concerning the ancient Caucasian march across Europe .Often ,language and art works give enormous clues and the search is endless .Thank you so much ,Liza for bringing all this to us .I really liked the simplicity of the little plants growing in the shadows of the mighty historical treasures.
Dixie.

Next

Return to Garden Tours