Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

Sydney...

7 Jan '07 2:08 am
Dear Anna! You do NOT imagine, how I long to visit the beautiful Sydney/Australia !! My daughter's dream is to go and live there for good! She had fallen in love with it , some years ago, being there for professional reasons!

And....dear Anna, it is impossible to imagine how steadily I DREAM (!!) to visit New Zealand! In fact, I think I could live there for good, needing to experience NOTHING more!
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

Faith S
Perpetually learning gardener
Alabama, USA

The good and the bad.

7 Jan '07 4:15 am
Yes, Liza, I agree that there is a bad side to almost any place we can visit on our planet. It is sad that there are so many homeless and displaced people everywhere. We experienced this firsthand here in Alabama last year after Hurricane Katrina displaced thousands on the coast. Many of them ended up here and everyone did all possible to make their stay as comfortable as possible. Unfortunately a huge number of those people have never returned to their former homes because that were very poor before and had no insurance to cover their losses. They have no way to return and rebuild their lives in their former homes. It is very sad.

Of course, there are always scores of homeless in every large city of the Southeast because the weather is better. Mostly, they are harmless people who have been made homeless because of mental illness or other tragic circumstances.

The real problem in our country is with drugs, as in many other countries. There are so many people who are addicted and pay for their drugs through criminal acts. It is a shame for innocent citizens to have to be fearful because of this deplorable situation.

I agree, that a quiet New Years spent in my own garden and home was the nicest of all.
Faith at Bide-a-Wee Farm, Alabama, USA

Come abide with me a wee while.

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

Dear Faith,....

7 Jan '07 6:23 am
...you are such a really nice person! Thank you, for your gentle reflections and the interesting facts you describe...But, yes, in my heart I have always felt , that homeless people are mostly kind people, very sensitive people .. Do you remember the characters playing the homeless in the films "Mary Poppins" and Home Alone"??
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

The most magnificent, panoramic, extraordinary.....

13 Jan '07 10:07 am
....photo of Paris by night! I was simply, mesmerized, stunned! Howcone not share it with you all! http://www.naturepixel.com/quai_concier ... pano_a.htm

Even more, this extra-talented French photographer has many multiple treasures of Nature photographs to present to you in his magical site, especialy in his "flore" and "faune" dream galleries! He even explains (: "materiel") what cameras he uses, and how he takes his magical photos!!

http://www.naturepixel.com/index.htm

jacqueline
Thankful Gardener
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

New Year's celebration

13 Jan '07 9:24 pm
Lovely...just lovely...your pictures of Paris and Nicholas (sooo....cute!!) :) and your vibrant narration! Thanks so much for sharing them, dear Liza! Also, it was delightful reading/viewing the rest of posts here altogether, though interposed with some sadness! Thanks to all who’ve shared your thoughts too. My New Year day was a lovely quiet and slow-paced one with hubby - attending church in the morning, then lunch at a Chinese Restaurant, back home to rest and then dinner at Pizza Hut! Kitchen department is always close on Jan. 1...hmm...you want to know why? Well...it’s my birthday and therefore no cooking as it’s my official off-day!! Normally, it’s lunch or dinner celebration together with my whole family but for this year our sons had other engagement and couldn’t join us. Hehe, it was a blessing in disguise because I got to have two more birthday treats later! :wink:

Jack Holloway
Passionate Gardener
SEQUOIA FARM Haenertsburg South Africa

Rather late for New Year comments now...

14 Jan '07 7:01 am
But nevertheless, Liza, I must tell you how much I enjoyed your description of New Year in Paris - it is a brilliant bit of ambiguity, and I think I might just - if I may! = use it in class to explain irony and ambiguity and such stylistic techniques to my pupils! And as we have said before about garden photos - it is amazing how photos can edit out the unwanted bits and make everything look good!!

I adore Paris - but I must admit I preferred our New Year with 30 odd families celebrating in small to large groupings; the three of us sat in the upstairs lounge where we could see the few humble fireworks reflect in the water and drank a celebratory whisky and chatted till one, and only afterwards I realised that we never even made a single new year's resolution between us... how's that for low key!

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

Season's ...Birthdays and lovely parties!

14 Jan '07 8:36 am
Jacqueline!All your news are so joyful! Multiple Birthaday/N.Year parties! Born on the 1st of the N.Year! Lucky mamas, yourself and your mama! So, you had such a great time with your lovely family! And I adore...Chinese Kitchen!! Now: what to wish you from the bottom of my heart; Hmmm : what I always wish to all my loved ones and...myself: Love and Harmony, inside-out !!!Image And, Health always follows..

Thank you for your lovely comments, my good friend!

Jack! You always have this charisma, of finding the right words. Yes! Paris is a city of ambiguity! Like Athens is a city of contrasts! And you feel contrasts like blows on the head..While you discover ambiguity little by little...But I think that all modern , big cities of Central/Northern Europe are cities of ambiguity...

Oh, how I would love to be present in a corner of your classroom while you teach and discuss Paris with your children/students! It would be a blessing...How I have missed this classroom movement, vivid discussions, bright little faces, lovely children eyes looking straight into mine...

And your description about the .."30 odd families celebrating " is so special... I think I would love to be with you all, sitting right by the side of your adorable Auntie May, listening to her stories...Image

jacqueline
Thankful Gardener
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

15 Jan '07 9:27 pm
My dear Liza, thank you so much for your lovely wishes. I'm most touched by your tender and loving personality...you're very gracious! :D

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

One more positive, magical face of Paris!

18 Jan '07 11:44 pm
After my previous post, where I sent you that magestic panoramic photo of Paris by the river Seine, I'm sending you this one, panoramic as well, which is also by night. The area called "La Defense" in Paris, captured in this new panoramic photo, is full of modern , extra tall , cement buildings, not romantic at all. But this extra-talented Nature photographer, Gerard Therin, secceeded again in capturing its very glamourous aspect by night! Enjoy here!

http://www.naturepixel.com/defense_gran ... e_pano.htm Image

Jack Holloway
Passionate Gardener
SEQUOIA FARM Haenertsburg South Africa

Thanks again Liza

19 Jan '07 4:09 am
For your wonderful way of side-tracking one!!!

Now I'm going home to walk the dogs!

Previous

Return to Garden Tours