Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

Faces of Modern Athens in Autumn.

29 Nov '06 8:27 pm
Modern Athens is a city of contrasts...And your feelings follow accordingly...You can feel up into the seventh skies out of wonderment, and suddenly and savagely down to earth, out of disappointment or sadness...

With its surrounding suburbs it is called Attiki, and it is huge! Last week I was crossing twice this huge city every day, using every time 2 taxis, two subways and a bus, in order to reach my destination in Northern Attiki. And again the same, in order to return home to the Southern Attiki, closer to the sea.

In the mid-time, if I had some time available , I visited the sea of the Southern suburbs and the city of Athens. And here are the various facets of Athens I experienced this Autumn, during a week's stay:

1-- The botanical Athens
National Garden.jpg
National Garden (1).jpg
National Garden (2).jpg
A beautiful botanical mystery in the National Garden.jpg
A beautiful botanical mystery in the National Garden (1).jpg
Archway of white Jasmins in the National Garden.jpg
Chrysanthemums in the National Garden.jpg
Chrysanthemums in the National Garden (2).jpg
Chrysanthemums in the National Garden (3).jpg
Climbing Autumnal beauties.jpg
Climbing Autumnal beauties (1).jpg
Cyclamens and fallen dry leaves...jpg
Hebe.jpg
Nice  entrance of suburban apartment building.jpg
Plumbago.jpg
Rockery.jpg
A Species Rose Shrub.jpg
Last edited by Liza on 29 Nov '06 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

29 Nov '06 8:34 pm
2-- The Animals in Athens
A tender soul feeding pigeons in the National Garden.jpg
Ducks, hens, geese, jailed ,and away from their natural habitat because of bird flu.jpg
Ducks, hens, geese, jailed ,and away from their natural habitat because of bird flu (1).jpg
Ducks, hens, geese, jailed ,and away from their natural habitat because of bird flu (2).jpg
Ducks, hens, geese, jailed ,and away from their natural habitat because of bird flu (3).jpg
Ducks, hens, geese, jailed ,and away from their natural habitat because of bird flu (4).jpg
The beautiful sadly empty home of ducks-geese in the National Garden.jpg
The beautiful sadly empty home of ducks-geese in the National Garden (1).jpg
The beautiful sadly empty home of ducks-geese in the National Garden (2).jpg
Stray animals, sad animals.jpg
Stray animals, sad animals (1).jpg
Stray animals, sad animals (2).jpg
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

29 Nov '06 8:40 pm
3-- Athens by the Sea
Suburban Athens by the sea.jpg
Suburban Athens by the sea (1).jpg
Suburban Athens by the sea (2).jpg
Suburban Athens by the sea (3).jpg
Suburban Athens by the sea (4).jpg
Suburban Athens by the sea (5).jpg
Suburban Athens by the sea (6).jpg
Suburban Athens by the sea (7).jpg
Suburban Athens by the sea (8).jpg
Suburban Athens by the sea (9).jpg

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

29 Nov '06 8:58 pm
4-- Modern, Classic, and Ancient Athens
A museum in the ultra modern Subway.jpg
A museum in the ultra modern Subway (1).jpg
A museum in the ultra modern Subway (2).jpg
A museum in the ultra modern Subway (3).jpg
Ultra modern ceiling of Subway. Hanging crystals.jpg
Ancient Athens.jpg
Classical and Ancient Athens.jpg
Classical Athens.jpg
Classical Athens (1).jpg
Classical Athens (2).jpg
A humane face of the concrete, suburban Athens.jpg
A humane face of  concrete ,suburban  Athens (1).jpg
A humane face of  concrete ,suburban  Athens.jpg

Jack Holloway
Passionate Gardener
SEQUOIA FARM Haenertsburg South Africa

Ah, oneday...

29 Nov '06 9:59 pm
People always comment on the contrasts of Athens... in my mind it is all ancient Athens, and I will most likely be shocked to see the concrete suburbs... but everyone comments too on the Greeks passion for life, and your 'humane face' reminds me of some very desirable neighbourhoods in Cape Town, SA's Mother City - and that sure ain't bad! I love the subway museums - it reminds me of the best of the new parts of the Louvre, where ancient articles are so magnificently displayed that the display becomes High Art in its own right.

Thank you, Liza, for all you share with us!!!

PS: the red flowered tree/shrub appears to be some kind of Erythrina or Coral Tree, indigenous to many tropical and sub-tropical parts of the world. See the article at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coral_tree
(Please Liza - translate 'Greek ερυθρος'!)

Bambi
Slowly Learning Gardener
Kent, England

30 Nov '06 2:09 am
Lovely photos, Liza, as always! Although the animal ones made me a little sad - those poor birds, and the stray cats and dogs - I would take them all home if I could! I loved the classical and ancient Athens ones, though, particularly "Classical Athens (1)" and similar - the architecture is just beautiful, with the detailed stonework and the filigreed railings: that is the Athens that I always imagine!
"If you'd have a mind at peace
A heart that cannot harden
Go find a door that opens wide
Upon a beautiful garden."
Author Unknown

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

30 Nov '06 5:35 am
Jack!

It is heartwarming that I pass you some nice feelings from my experience. I agree that "Greeks have passion for life". I would only wish, that some more among them had passion (and respect) for ALL sort/expressions of Life.. I don't want to comment more -- although I wish to, because it could be wrongly taken, that I completely dislike my own country ...

Now. I just love , that you already searched for that red flowered shrub! "Erythrina"! Such a lovely, tender name ! It freely means in Greek, " the little redish lady", or " the little redish girl"! It is a name of female gender, you see, according to Greek grammar. And the ending "-ina" adds this tender , "little girl" meaning.

"ερυθρ-'ος" ( e-ry-thr'os) = red in Greek = He, who is red. Because this adjective is of a male gender in Greek grammar. "ερυθρ-'α" = She, who is red, and "ερυθρ-'ον" = that, which is red. This word is the red in Ancient Greek , though. In Modern Greek is, "κ'οκκινος"= k'okkinos.

So, this lovely big shrub, has red flowers which look like corals, and it is so obvious why it is also called "Coral Tree"! The "problem" is, that this specific Erythrina of the National Garden of Athens has medium leaves that look like the leaves of an Oak Tree, or an Acer. I also searched in Google/images, though, and I am almost convinced that it IS an
Erythrina/Coral Tree! Bravo, Jack! And thank you for this so useful link!

Bambi!

Such compliments and tender, descriptive thoughts...Concerning the animals , just try to imagine how much sadness I have accumulated having been born in this beautiful counry, having lived there almost all my life...

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

extending our knowledge

30 Nov '06 5:48 am
Dear Liza ,It is wonderful to have you explaining the full meaning of words of Greek origin ,as it gives a clearer picture so well .If someone is described as 'red' - does it mean red hair ? A friend of mine was born and raised in Rhodesia ,and planted the gorgeous 'coral tree' here in NZ .When it is in full flower ,everyone passing wants to know what it is .
Dixie

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

30 Nov '06 6:08 am
You know, dear friend, Dixie, by asking me all these questions, you just trigger my everlasting love for Languages and Etymologie! Even more so, if they are questions on Horticulture! And then, I miss my school years and my students...

Anyway.. RED is simply the colour red in Greek. But we, the silly Greeks, when we hear "red", that someone is red, we think that he/she is a ....leftist in politics! Or, like my son Dinos, that his football club is the ..Olympiak'os (the players of this club wear red t-shirts)!! A girl with red hair in modern Greece is called " kokkino'malla" , which means, "she, with the red hair". Thank you again for asking me about words and their meaning!

jacqueline
Thankful Gardener
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Unique Athens!

15 Dec '06 8:33 pm
Oh my, I nearly missed all these lovely shots! Taken ill last week and 'totally' forgot about your recent trip home as I try to catch-up with posts I've missed! Thank you so much, dear Liza for introducing your lovely country through sharing all the various wonderful perspective of Athens! I've enjoyed tremendously every pic and especially love the seaside scenes of part 3 and all the shots of part 4 including the awesome archway at the Botanical Garden! Great job in sharing, thanks again! :D Hope you don't mind me linking this great thread to my website when I find time to update? :wink:

Next

Return to Garden Tours