Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

Mooseys garden tours

7 Nov '06 6:47 pm
I have just been enjoying Moosey's account of the garden club tour of Akaroa gardens ,and the
great photos ,particularly the spectacular view ...Some interesting thoughts emerge on gardens that are happy and 'lived in' and those that are show pieces - perhaps seen to be contrived ? It makes me wonder if my garden will ever be 'finished' and can it be categorised ?
Dixie.

moosey
head gardener

open gardens

14 Nov '06 9:15 am
Dixie,
It is inconceivable that our humble real gardens could ever be 'finished'. Yet it's one of my silly dreams, and I do this often - that for once, at one time, everything that needs doing at that particular time could be done and finished!

The idea of an open garden is - well, interesting. When I met Michael in Devon I could see how much joy and fun he had from showing his garden to visitors. But he had the history of the site to - well, sort of bolster up his cause. Building a garden from scratch simply to open it for business seems to me extremely odd. I think the best open gardens sort of stumble into open-ness.

You mentioned that you went on a garden tour. Have you got pix to show us? Yippee! new ideas, new inspirations - and perhaps a few NO-NO-I'D-NEVER-DO THATs!
Cheers.
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

continuing

3 Dec '06 7:57 pm
Continuing this theme of open gardens ..I have just read Moosey's latest journal ,which is so interesting and thought -provoking .The description of 20 Burgundy roses looking like a stage set is succinct ...I think of designer gardens as being 'paint by numbers'with no soul of their own ... Don't you like Moosey's way best ?
Dixie
garden visits.jpg
Designer garden

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

massed displays

3 Dec '06 8:02 pm
The style of garden actually suits the sculptural lines of the new house ,but masses of the same hebes ,astelias ,grasses etc perhaps don't appeal to we flowery sorts.
The foreground is a sculpture .
Dixie
garden visits 001.jpg
On a hill at Waiheke island

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

interesting sculpture

3 Dec '06 8:07 pm
One feature of the designer gardens our garden club visited were the sculptures that were on display and could be purchased if you had a spare couple of thousand dollars.
This one is very dramatic and I admired it very much - ( a secret ...some of it consists of old bicycle chains !)
Dixie
garden visits 002.jpg

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

house of a lavender farm

3 Dec '06 8:12 pm
This is the home of a lavender farm .
I find it delightful
Dixie
garden visits 003.jpg
lavender farm

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

natural

3 Dec '06 8:16 pm
A happy garden .The ducks and tuis choose to live there.
Dixie
garden visits 004.jpg
Happy garden

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

Another garden

3 Dec '06 8:20 pm
Here is a garden we all loved.
On Waiheke island the local stone is quarried and used for roads and paths .It is particularly beautiful - a mixture of red ,white ,grey and brown -it really enhances the gardens.
Dixie
garden visits 005.jpg
a lovely combination of plants and trees that look lovely together

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

A very special garden!

4 Dec '06 5:30 am
I love this garden , Dixie! It is very special indeed! I loved the sea-horse sculpture and the water feature most of all! Thank you for sharing your beautiful experience with us!
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

Bambi
Slowly Learning Gardener
Kent, England

4 Dec '06 10:38 pm
I agree, Dixie, the so-called designer gardens leave me a little cold, to be honest, and there are so many thousands and millions of different plants one can choose from - why limit yourself when you have the opportunity to have a multitude of diversity?

I do like that seahorse sculpture though, and the lavender garden is lovely too.
"If you'd have a mind at peace
A heart that cannot harden
Go find a door that opens wide
Upon a beautiful garden."
Author Unknown

Next

Return to Garden Tours