Tropical Paradise

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

Coconut husking competition

28 Oct '06 6:39 am
I was standing with all the children on this side of the arena - the noise of cheering was deafening as they cheered this girl . She had finished while everyone else was still on their first coconut .
Dixie
coconut husking competition 003.jpg

moosey
head gardener

28 Oct '06 7:10 am
Thank you for posting your Rarotonga pix, Dixie. There's a wonderful feel in them, I can sense the ease of living - and the warmth! In Samoa we saw many decorated graveside monuments in the gardens by the houses. It made me smile - the ancestors are always welcome. Sometimes the momnment would have its own little walls and a roof - looking like a wendy house. The colourful hedges! I hope you enjoyed your trip - and have lots of new ideas for your garden. Like me, you might have to settle for a mass of new indoor plants!
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

lagoon cruise

30 Oct '06 8:06 am
These are taken from the glass bottom boat that took us out to the encircling reef .We anchored out there ,while many of the tourists went snorkelling .Note the coconut thatching .
Dixie
Wedding island 003.jpg
Looking back towards the island of Rarotonga from the reef.

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

feeding the fish

30 Oct '06 8:09 am
The glass bottom of the boat -feeding the fish below us .
Dixie
Wedding island 004.jpg

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

Arriving at 'Wedding island '

30 Oct '06 8:12 am
The two boats moored at Wedding island ,where many people (including NZers ) go to get married.
Dixie
Wedding island.jpg

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

planting coconuts

30 Oct '06 8:16 am
After exchanging vows ,each couple plants a coconut together ,and places their wedding garlands over the coconut .This is only a small area of all the coconuts growing.Each represents a couple .
Dixie
Wedding island 002.jpg

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

Wedding island barbecue

30 Oct '06 8:22 am
Waiting for the barbecue lunch -salad and fish ,being cooked under the blue tent ,wrapped in banana leaves -yummy -very tender ...Looking towards Rarotonga.
I was somewhat amused, that even though it was a traditional thing -they had a website 'www .tribal-weddings .com'
Small wedding coconuts can be seen here too.
Dixie
Wedding island 001.jpg

moosey
head gardener

Hot Pix

30 Oct '06 9:06 am
Dixie, I'm looking at your photos, shiverng inside while the southerly winds zoom around outside. Blimey! I think the wedding island is - well - rather a cute commercial thing, and if that's what one's wedding has to be, brilliant! I love the way that plants (coconut palms) get to share the special day!

Keep posting - it's heart-and-body-warming!
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

Winter in paradise

30 Oct '06 9:46 am
Thank you dear Moosey -I have been hoping that I haven't bored everyone .
The cheerful driver of the boat ,saying "It's our Winter here ...It's FREEZING ! " the temperature was 27 degrees !
(Where is Summer in NZ )
Dixie
Wedding island 005.jpg
Winter in paradise

Jack Holloway
Passionate Gardener
SEQUOIA FARM Haenertsburg South Africa

Tropical life

31 Oct '06 1:26 am
Fascinating Dixie - for an African so much is familiar in some ways, strange in others... much reminds me of my May visit to Mozambique. Would you describe the people as living in happy poverty (the sort of Gaugain image of perfect island life) or do they appear envious of tourists 'greater sophistication'? Are there typical city slums, or is the population small enough to be quite rural?

PreviousNext

Return to Garden Tours