Tropical Paradise

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

people in the islands

31 Oct '06 6:31 am
Goodness me .I am astonished by the questions ,Jack .It is a protectorate of NZ ,and has the same money .Many islanders travel to and from NZ .All speak NZ English .No ,not like Gaugin's simple beauties .They have a dignity ,intelligence ,and stylish sophistication which occasionally gives the impression that they might just find tourists amusing !(But never 'put down'in their humour)
There is practically no crime .Travelling all over the island
though occasionally some untidyness ,no slums.The main industry is Tourism ,and all the hotels and shopping areas and roads are kept immaculate ,there being a college for a qualification in Tourism .At our hotel there were three Australians studying tourism ,on a work permit .
Many NZers have made their home there -I looked up an old teacher colleague ,who is very content ,a word probably I would use to describe the lifestyle in Rarotonga- this to be envied by the likes of us !
Dixie.
Rarotonga 001.jpg
Our beach front hotel .Typical of immaculate accomodation.

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

beach front

31 Oct '06 6:35 am
And from our front door .
Dixie
Rarotonga 003.jpg
The white line on the horizon is the encircling reef -the roar of the reef kept me awake at night

Anna
Gone to seed
Hamilton, New Zealand

31 Oct '06 3:43 pm
Still loving the photos. The 'view from the front door' pic is especially nice.

27 degrees is cold???? I'd love some of that 'cold' right about now! :lol:
Woof?

GardenGnome
Happily Toiling Away
Regina, Saskatchewan

That is too amazing!

3 Nov '06 1:12 pm
Now you've done it! You've filled my wife's head with thoughts of paradise! We looked at your pictures together and we are both just green with envy. What a wonderful place.

I'll tell you a secret. In actual fact, right now Deb and I are living as common law. Well, it's been 8 years or so since we moved in together. It's always been my intention to make an honest woman out of her and that was the plan all along. Well, just the other day I popped the question to her and she said "Yes." So we have picked a date and come next summer, we will tie the knot. I was going to take her to Moose Jaw for our honeymoon but now she's seen your post. Thanks a lot!! :roll:

The sad thing is, we'll probably wind up in Moose Jaw at the trailer park motel, but we will always have the beautiful images of your wonderful trip to inspire us. :wink:

We both really like the idea of planting a tree to commemorate our wedding, so that's what we are planning to do. See? Your travelogue has inspired us already! :D

Christopher (and Deb)
A Gnome's at home in his garden.

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

flower paint

3 Nov '06 1:51 pm
I never ever thought I'd ever have a tropical holiday ,Christopher ,and I don't think I would want to go again .I love my home ,NZ ,and my friends ...I appreciated the peaceful life in Rarotonga very much though .In the meantime ,you could paint your house with special flower paint -it would liven up your neighbourhood ,I'm sure !
And let us know when your special day comes -There !-you have to go ahead with it now !
Dixie
flower paint.jpg
Paint your house with flowers today !!!

jacqueline
Thankful Gardener
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

3 Nov '06 9:46 pm
Wow, dear Dixie! A wonderful read and lovely pictures. You sure had a great fun holiday. Thanks for sharing them and your last pic sure steal the show with your favourite colour too! :wink:

Christopher dear, I've missed you lots! Delighted to read your great news and congrats to both of you! :D Halloween is over, yes? so please post some of your pumpkin shots to amaze us! :wink:

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

6 Nov '06 6:59 am
All the more beautiful information and photos, Dixie! I enjoy your comments! Thanks!
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

Bambi
Slowly Learning Gardener
Kent, England

8 Nov '06 2:49 am
Dixie, having only just read through your holiday diary yesterday evening before I left work, I have to say what a beautiful place – I would say “tranquil” too, as island paradises are often thought to be, but all the lovely people who live there, with their happy, bustling ways and traditions, I imagine make it a place that’s full of activity :D . I particularly enjoyed reading about and seeing your photos of the coconut competition – it reminded me of when I was a child and my parents would buy a whole coconut for us to share, but Dad would then spend ages trying to open it without losing the milk inside, while we were all salivating for it! :roll: :wink:

Your photo of the glass-bottomed boat is glorious too! So many fish! How I would love to dive in those waters and feed them!

You made me giggle at your comment about estate agents not being needed there too! :lol: What a great tradition to have kept alive! Unfortunately here in England, the number of people living as extended families in the same property are now few and far between, but it calls to mind the novels of Jane Austen (which I just adore!) – Pride and Prejudice, Persuasion, etc. which are set in a time in England when this was still the norm.

Anyway, I digress (as always! :roll: ). It sounds like you had a lovely time, but I wondered at your comment that you wouldn't go back there - is this simply that you prefer to explore all the different places in NZ itself for your holidays, or that there are so many different places to go in the world that it would take a lifetime to see everything?!?! :)
"If you'd have a mind at peace
A heart that cannot harden
Go find a door that opens wide
Upon a beautiful garden."
Author Unknown

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

Black pearls

15 Nov '06 5:45 am
I am not really a keen traveller ,(though an avid reader )- I like home best !
These pictures are of the hotel entrance lobby .The water spills from the shell continuously into the pool .
Dixie
Hotel foyer.jpg

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

Black pearls

15 Nov '06 5:53 am
The black pearl industry is an income earner for the islands.,so this feature displays the pearl.The water spills over the side .
The Hibiscus are REAL !Can you imagine wandering outside each morning and picking some hibiscus !
Dixie.
Hotel foyer 001.jpg
Black pearl

PreviousNext

Return to Garden Tours