Bambi
Slowly Learning Gardener
Kent, England

Not exactly an unidentified flower, but...

24 Aug '06 2:49 am
I was just wondering if anyone could help me. I just discovered that the enormous plant that is beginning to prevent easy access/egress through my back door (because I haven't pruned it for ages! :oops: ) is an hibiscus - this knowledge was gained from Moosey's 'Samoa Part One' journal!! Anyway, I've also seen flowers described as hollyhocks which look identical - are they in fact one and the same species or am I just being stoopid?

Thanks all,

Bambi
x
"If you'd have a mind at peace
A heart that cannot harden
Go find a door that opens wide
Upon a beautiful garden."
Author Unknown

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

Hibiscus.

24 Aug '06 6:03 am
Bambi,

There are certain plants that I know having almost the same form of bloom : Hibiscus Syriacus, Hibiscus Sinensis, Lavatera, Malva , and Hollyhock. From all the aformentioned, only Hibiscus Syriacus becomes enormous when unpruned. And also he is the only frosthardy Hibiscus for where you live. I have 5 of them here in Belgium, very happy all of them. But I have also 3 Hibiscus Sinensis as potplants, hibernating in the heated glasshouse every winter. Hibiscus Syriacus' common name in England is Tree Hollyhock.

In the Corfu part of "Garden Tours",that you have recently seen, among the flower photos, 5 of the shown blooms are Hibiscus : the no 18 is Hibiscus Syriacus, and you can also see him in the "Old University " photo of Corfu. The nos 1, 14, 15, and 19 blooms are Hibiscus Sinensis, single and double ones.
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

Bambi
Slowly Learning Gardener
Kent, England

25 Aug '06 1:20 am
Thank you for this information, Liza, that's really helpful. I've attached here a photo of my hibiscus, along with a close-up of the blooms, which I'm assuming from your post is a syriacus variety. As you can see, I have let it get a little bit out of hand, but I'm afraid I'm a little lax in the pruning department and usually forget to do it at the right time, only remembering when it's actually flowering, and then they're so pretty I never want to cut them off!! Oh well, I'm determined to be better this time around and I'll be cutting her back quite a lot in a few months - I hope she won't be too upset at me afterwards, though!
DSCF0010a.JPG
Hibiscus Syriacus, I presume...
DSCF0010b.JPG
Not a very good close-up, but I think you can see the flowers ok.
"If you'd have a mind at peace
A heart that cannot harden
Go find a door that opens wide
Upon a beautiful garden."
Author Unknown

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

A very beautiful, healthy plant!

25 Aug '06 3:53 am
Yes, Bambi, ...she (I love this..) is the Hibiscus Syriacus, "Blue Bird". She is happy in my garden , too. And since she starts blooming by mid-end July, she needs pruning in Spring. You can give her a standard look - but not exactly a standard, if you cut off some of her lower branches, leaving mostly the upper ones ; and giving to the rest of the plant the form of an egg -- just an idea ... You could thus have more space available for you around her...
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

Re: Not exactly an unidentified flower, but...

10 Apr '15 6:44 pm
Despite being from way back in 2006 I liked seeing the photos of that beautiful shrub.

zurkan/sara, I see no discussion or links here regarding 'Geishas Fan' so I think you are lost, very very lost. :roll:

Return to Unidentified Flowering Objects