Moorf
valued helper
Canterbury, New Zealand

Anyone have an idea what this might be?

12 Jul '06 9:02 am
I have quite a few of these growing around the entrance, in the undergrowth, and they appear quite prolific. We've only been here 6 months or so and some are now monster size!

Does anyone have a clue what they are? Not sure I like them very much, no flowers seen to date either.
IMG_1725 (Medium).JPG
IMG_1726 (Medium).JPG

goose
Weekend Gardener
Coatesville , New Zealand

12 Jul '06 10:20 pm
I think its Angelica :)
It spreads because of its large seedheads, so it will probably flower through the summer.
Goose

What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered.-
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Moorf
valued helper
Canterbury, New Zealand

12 Jul '06 10:37 pm
Thanks Goose, but I'm pretty sure it's not based on what a search on Angelica bought up on Google. It's quite a robust plant, the trunk of which is about 1 in dia (as in the one I photographed which is a baby, some are as high as me). There were no flowers over summer on any of them, babies or mature.

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

Unknown Plant

13 Jul '06 5:38 am
I am curious to know what they are too ,as they are growing here - - they only seem to last 1 or 2 years ,then they die off ,but pop up somewhere else .I quite like them.
Dixie.

teecee
honoured member
West Otago, New Zealand

13 Jul '06 9:48 am
Looks like angelica to me.They die if seed is set, but if not they get very large stemmed.Florists use the leaves, though yours looks like the one used for candied angelica, rather than the florists type.

Moorf
valued helper
Canterbury, New Zealand

13 Jul '06 11:02 am
Hmmm, I really do hate to question everyones suggestions - after all, it's because I have no clue about the plant that I posted it :) - but it really looks nothing like any pics I can find of "angelica" :?

I'm going to send it to the botanical gardens - they managed to I.D. my massive Chinese poppy thingy... :lol:

teecee
honoured member
West Otago, New Zealand

13 Jul '06 4:43 pm
Try a search for Angelica sylvestris - you may find a photo to compare with your plants.

Moorf
valued helper
Canterbury, New Zealand

14 Jul '06 10:47 am
I've now had a look at some pics of Ang. sylvestris and whilst the leaves do look a little similar the rest just doesn't fit right with what I have growing - I re-checked them yesterday and some are over 6ft high with "trunks" 1.5-2inches thick! The quest continues.... :?:

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

Wondering

14 Jul '06 12:55 pm
I looked at about ten sites on Google for angelica sylvestris ...The pictures don`t really look like the plant I have which is the same as Moorf`s ..They have a tall solid woody trunk ,and pale green foliage ;they do seem to like shady positions though .
Dixie

goose
Weekend Gardener
Coatesville , New Zealand

Botanic Gardens

15 Jul '06 9:30 am
The leaves in the pics look like Angelica but from your latest descriptions I have to agree the mystery plants certainly dont sound like Angelica. As you say maybe the Botanic Gardens will be able to help. Let us know how you get on. :)
Goose

What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered.-
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Next

Return to Unidentified Flowering Objects