Can You Identify This Lily?

valued helper
Kentucky, U.S.A.

Can You Identify This Lily?

3 Jul '06 12:11 pm
Here goes my first attempt at this, but I do so wish to know the name of the lily in the photo (that I hope will attach)that I've dregged up the courage to try. I hope someone somewhere out there in Cyber Gardening will recognize it. It is not my plant, but I think it is such a pretty lily I hope to find one, perhaps on the Internet. But, I can't search if I don't know the name, I think. The owner does not know the name and hasn't offered a piece for my garden. I'm on my own. Here's hoping you gardeners will know.
June 06 Lily 001x.jpg

Thankful Gardener
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Welcome, Bobbie!

4 Jul '06 8:46 pm
I'm not sure whether this is one of the Brugmansia hybrids which I recalled admiring at this garden website:
Bell flowers like yours though leaves unsure because your picture displayed two variation of leaf structure :?
Sorry, if this doesn't help!

compost executive
Dairy Flat, New Zealand

Hi Bobby

4 Jul '06 9:57 pm
Could it be something like Lilium sulphureum, found at this site?
There are so many beautiful bulbs here, you may find the one you are looking for.
I have a lily which looks very similar to the one in your pic but it is white :?

valued helper
Kentucky, U.S.A.

Getting Close

5 Jul '06 2:51 am
Thank you for your response, Jacqueline, I looked at the Brugmansias on the site you shared, oh, they are lusciously beautiful! But the plant I covet is definitely a lily. The confusion from multiple foliages in the photo is caused by the fact that it is too crowded and all the silly plants around it are jockeying to get into the picture - such hams! Some are weeds and some are "keepers". Looking at the photograph, I can see some of the weeds are vines, locally called "bindweed" (a form of milkweed beloved by the Monarch butterfly babies), growing up through the plant. What a mess, but my own place isn't any better during our sweltering heat of July.

Here in the Bluegrass Region of Kentucky, U.S.A., we are in the U.S.Department of Agriculture's frost zone 6, which means everyone growing the beautiful Brugmansias has to grow them in large pots that can be moved indoors before Winter's first frosty breath. If I had a suitable indoor space, I probably would have a few, but don't get me started; I have a sizable list of tender plants I would love to have, e.g., camellias, flowering maples....

Pumpkin, we're getting closer to the answer to the puzzle, and thank you for introducing me to the Pacific Bulb Society's web site. I think I'll be spending a lot time there. I may even check to see if someone there can help me with the identification. The reason I think it is not Lilium sulphureum, the late blooming trumpet lily, is based on the bloom time discussed in the information. The color of blossom is close, but the lily here bloomed mid to late June, and my location is close enough to that of the members in the discussion that the plants would have the same bloom season.

Thank you both for your time and interest, and in-put. If anyone else has an idea, please let us know. Now, I'm going back to the lily web site and read awhile. What fun!

garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

lilies in bloom

5 Jul '06 7:12 am
I was intrigued by the magnificent lily plant ,so have been looking at lily sites. On there is a site called'Lilies in bloom ',with lots of information about growing ,etc ,and on the left column ,photos of lilies by colour -so I went to the yellows --really beautiful !I wonder if 'Conca d`or is anything like 'yours' .I haven`t grown lilies before ,so I was fascinated to see all the blooms.It looks as though you need a group of the same colour to be effective ,as in your photo ,Bobbie.

valued helper
Kentucky, U.S.A.

5 Jul '06 1:37 pm
Thank you, Dixie. I will take a look. The lily we photographed is located where I can easily see it when I drive past. I've watched it for 16 years. It just keeps getting fuller and lovelier. I guess the bulbs are multiplying in the earth with no disturbance. I suspect it is an old species, no longer available in the trade. Where modern lilies are upward facing, these hang down and are quite long with a more trumpet shape than the moderns which have petals curled backward into a more open expression. This one is barely open when in full bloom, it's buds are a soft banana yellow. It reminds me of the lilies reproduced in the beautiful leaded stained glass work by Louis Comfort Tiffany (1848-1933) and his company way back then. If so, it's been around a long time. I'm still hoping someone will recognize it and say: Yes, my grandmother had one of those and she called it...

honoured member
West Otago, New Zealand

6 Jul '06 2:00 pm
Hi Bobbie
Your lily looks like Lillium longiflorum, although it does look a creamier colour in the photo. It is an old lily, but has been crossed to produce colours. I have grown it from seed and have had flowers the next year. Can you be cheeky and ask for a bulb?

valued helper
Kentucky, U.S.A.

7 Jul '06 4:19 am
Hello teecee,
After reading your reply about Lilium longiflorum, I've spent the past two hours (at least) on the Internet looking and reading. It surely does look very much like that lily. I found a pink form, and a yellow with garnet-brown on the outer petals; of course, the majority were the pure white ones they call the Easter Lily. But, I still haven't found my favorite, the lovely pure soft yellow. But, yes, I think you are correct in tagging it as Lilium longiflorum. I'll keep searching. Perhaps this yellow form should be called the Easter EGG Lily. Thank you, teecee.

P.S. I'm editing this because I forgot to answer your question. Cheeky? Me? I wish. I might get up the courage someday. I think I will go back later this summer and check it for those little bulbils, in the leaf axils along the stem like some lilies have. Don't know if this species does that, but if they are there, I'll probably help myself to a few.

gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

Unknown tree beauty!

11 Jul '06 10:46 am
The other day, my daughter came back from a walk with her baby, with a lovely Astilbe-like soft pink bloom. She said, "No mama, it was a tree, like our willow tree, not a small plant! The blooms were sort of looking downwards!"

And of course, I took my car and my camera, and off, to find the willow-tree formed, pink bloomed unknown tree!

And here is the unknown tree beauty: a huge bloomed branch was hanging out of the border of the house:

( I am SO sorry! This post should have been a separate topic!I just discovered it so late! I can't fix my error now...)
Unknown tree beauty.jpg
Unknown tree beauty (1).jpg
Unknown tree beauty (2).jpg
Unknown tree beauty (3).jpg
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

Return to Unidentified Flowering Objects