Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

I wish to know the ID of my Rhododendrons, please!

8 May '06 6:28 am
Their blooms are so much alike! Only, the short one has darker pink blooms than the tall one . And the short one has long , slightly shiny leaves turned inwardly; while the tall one has round , mat, large, flat leaves . Even more, the short one blooms in early May, while the tall one blooms end of May.

In my booklet special Rhodos, it says, that the short ones are called "Yakushimanum", while the tall ones belong to the Hybrids' group created in the U.S.A. It includes many photos, like my huge book does, but I still haven't recognized any of my Rhodos. I found only one looking like the tall one, being called R. Hybrid "Diadem". But I am NOT sure.

I thought , that I could easily find their ID in Google Images, but in vain...

Here they are :
Jardin, Mai 2005 059.jpg
The tall Rhododendron
Jardin, Mai 2005 060.jpg
The tall Rhododendron.
The short, pink Rhododendron.jpg
A close up of short pink Rhododendron.jpg
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

Yakushimanum and Catawbiense.

9 May '06 7:06 am
Well. I stop my mental gardening here. I mean my search for my old Rhodos ID. Because I believe , that I found enough so far. But, still, if a friend has further information , he/she will be mostly welcome!

In case you wonder why I suddenly need to learm about my oldest Rhodos' ID, I just know, I'm older now and need to know things I wasn't interested before. And since we are offered this wonderful "Google" invention, and I also adore the very process of learning and searching, why not! I am "a garden freak" , after all, like Jacqueline once said , and she was right!

Well. The short one is definately a Yakushimanum Rhododendron, having the same form of blooms and leaves, and height, of this group. Unfortunately, I haven't found any photo with exactly the same colour of blooms, but similar ones. So, I baptized it myself, calling it, Rhododendron Yakushimanum...."Pink Delight" (since it delights me...).

Now, the tall one is definately a Hybrid called Catawbiense Grandiflorum. Here I was luckier, because I discovered a photo of a Rhodo, looking like exactly with mine, a few years ago when he was shorter, only with lighter coloured blooms. The same form, height, form of leaves and blooms. This one was called Rhododendron Catawbiense Grandiflorum "Calsap"...But, again my tall, pink Rhodo has no specific name...So, I'm just thinking of baptizing him,too, calling him Rhododendron Catawbiense Grandiflorum "Pink Exumberance" (since he flowers in abundance)!! Lovely, isn't it??
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

jacqueline
Thankful Gardener
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Pink !

10 May '06 9:36 pm
Sorry, no help from me to ID your exotic beauty, dear Liza!
Just wanted to say that it's a gorgeous beauty! Lovely soft pink splashed with 'strawberry jam'

Wow! no end to your surprises, I love it!

nancy
valued helper
Utah, USA

11 May '06 2:12 pm
there are a few characteristics on your "Rhodys" that will tell you if you have R. degronianum ssp "yakushimanum" (Yak for short) or one of its many hybrids. First of all, they are small shrubs they stay a meter or less in height. Also most of the flowers on the cultivars, and most of the hybrids start out pink and fade to white. Also they are among the first to bloom, typically February, March or April, depending on your climate. But the clincher is their leaves. New growth has a white fuzzy felt on it called "indumentum". The older leaves have it too,but usually only on the bottom. Sadly Rhododenrons have become so inbred its almost impossible to ID them just from a photo, unless you are a real expert, which I'm not. Good luck!

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

Yakushimanum/Degronianum Rhodos, and ....thank you!

11 May '06 6:28 pm
Dear Nancy! First of all, I am so grateful for your useful, rich, reply!
Yes! The short Rhodo has all the charasteristics you give me in your post! Its height, way of blooming, and leaves. Thank you SO much!

The last years I noticed , that all nurseries have the ID of the Rhodos hunging among their branches... But, tell me: if you meet such creatures of this indescribable beauty, and you are stunned, how come to notice their ID? It would be redundant, at least at the moment of one's amazement, no?

And, my Jacqueline, thank you so much for your sweet and....humorous.. marmelade words! You make me so happy with your funny , intelligent descriptions!

Return to Unidentified Flowering Objects