jacqueline
Thankful Gardener
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Help needed to ID this plant

27 Mar '06 5:35 pm
Hi everyone here. I'm a newbie and am very happy to be a member of your friendly and beautiful gardening community.

I truly need your help to ID this beautiful plant which was purchased from Cameron Highlands, Malaysia’s largest and best-known hill resort during my vacation there with my spouse last August. Its striking blooms of deep pink mixed against white looked so fragile and artificial yet very captivating amidst its green claw-like segmented leaves. Currently it’s still growing healthily but of course :) without flowers! I've managed to easily propagate many young plants from its segmented leaves, but unfortunately no new blooms yet. Patience!!

As garden enthusiasts, I'm sure all of you would understand the frustration of not knowing your plants' name, likes and dislikes which hinders us from giving them the best to make them happy and healthy! They're our children too, right!

Thus, I’d be most appreciative if someone here can ID it for me. Thanks in advance.[/img]
Copy of 497_9798.JPG
Lovely Pink Buds
Copy of 498_9803.JPG
Lovely Pink in full blooms

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

zygocactus

27 Mar '06 8:48 pm
Greetings jacq-cap .You have a beautiful zygocactus ,or zygote cactus. I typed zygocactus on google and found some photos on- flickr.com /photos. but they took so long to unload I gave up. Zygocactus come in all shades from palest pink to coral to red .
Please share with us about gardening in Kuala Lumpur -I should imagine you could grow many tropical varieties of plants .
Dixie.

jacqueline
Thankful Gardener
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

re: zygocactus or zygote cactus

27 Mar '06 9:28 pm
Thanks alot, Dixie. I'm so thrilled and happy to finally be able to share its name with my hubby (after nearly 9 months! what a torture!) We normally refer it as 'crab's claw' because there's some visual resemblance, though we're aware that it's incorrect :) Knowing its name will also aid me in my google search for further info.

I'd love to share further about gardening in K.L but due to time constraint (office closing in 10 mins. at 5.30pm Malaysian time) I'm unable to but will do it tomorrow when time permits.

Have a nice day! I'll be smiling the rest of my day now with your great help :D

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

A beautifully formed, easy plant!

28 Mar '06 6:21 am
I happen myself to have this lovely plant, as well! And it is about 14 years old already! It has scarlet red Aguilegia style blooms, and has moved here from Greece 10 years ago! By the way, its name means "Double Leaved Cactus", I guess because of the repeated form of its beautifully formed leaves.

Here I have it as an indoor plant, I aways have. It doesn't like direct sun , but it needs direct light. It needs medium watering, more when in bloom. It starts blooming during the end of Autumn, and usually during Christmas is in full bloom for at least 10 days non-stop! After this it blooms once every month until late Spring . It is happy being sprayed on its leaves from time to time.

Last Spring I gave it a general "lifting" : I cut back its roots and branches and replaced all its pot compost ,adding some good organic granular fertilizer . Right now it is finishing its last blooming. Here:
Zygocactus 004.jpg
Zygocactus 005.jpg
Last edited by Liza on 28 Feb '07 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

jacqueline
Thankful Gardener
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

A beauty and easy plant indeed!

28 Mar '06 3:47 pm
Thanks for sharing your expertise on this beauty, Liza. Wow! a 14 years old plant. I'm still an infant in gardening having acquired this hobby seriously since 2001 though had dabbled with some orchids and potted plants like bourgainvillas, some ferns that are easily maintained since 3 decades ago.

Now that I know more about this beautiful zygocactus, I'm more confident of caring/nurturing it. In fact, my first plants rotted at soil base due to our wet and rainy season throughout last November till late December but fortunately I was able to salvage them by discarding the rotted parts and replanting the otherwise healthy stems which grew easily as they also have aerial roots between the leaves. That's a bonus actually because I've propagated many new plants from these leaves!

I've also learnt the hard way that potted plants that dislike 'wet feet' should be relocated to sheltered areas during wet seasons to preserve their growth and blooms e.g blue plumbago and this beautiful zygocactus!

I'm now looking forward to enjoy their blooms, hopefully soon but I think otherwise 'cos they still young and sprouting new leaves to form more stems. Maybe in four months time from now, what do you think? Any advice to hasten their blooms? Besides this pink beauty, I have your color too!

Your plant is beautiful and very healthy, too!

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

Zygocactus love, part 2..

28 Mar '06 8:32 pm
Jaqueline!

You have the "feeling" of the real gardener, the one who regards plants as living beings and not decorative articles! That's why you saved your sick Zygocactus from rot and you even created new babies!

And your babies are going to flower very soon! Because this plant gives new shoots (its lovely leaves actually), and right afterwards it forms its blooms at the tips of the newlyborn leaves. My old and happy plant was aquired by me in an early Spring Flower Show in Athens /Greece and had been a tiny newborn baby plant full of blooms! I was mesmerized like you at the time! Since then I forgot how many times I transplanted it in a new pot... But it does need excellent draining conditions, as you already realized! I personally add to ALL my plants --indoor and outdoor ones-- a thick layer of terracota balls at the time of planting them , right at their base, before I add their planting compost...

I wish you to feel non-stop the magnificent experience of co-creating with Nature!! All the best!
Last edited by Liza on 28 Mar '06 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

jacqueline
Thankful Gardener
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

My garden in Kuala Lumpur

28 Mar '06 8:34 pm
Please share with us about gardening in Kuala Lumpur -I should imagine you could grow many tropical varieties of plants.
Dixie.

Yes, Dixie a tropical climate with hot and sunny or wet and rainy throughout the year as experienced in my country is very conducive to a very large variety of tropical plants, trees, shrubs, palms, etc.

My hubby and I started gardening seriously since 5 years ago and we're very happy with the results, some of which are pictured here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jayjayc/sets/1230218

In my opinion, gardening can be likened to marraige. It's a labour of love, whereby with tender, loving care and perseverence, coupled with some gardening skills & knowledge (now easily accessible from the internet) and conducive weather, you can be greatly rewarded.

Our garden is very small :) I'm not complaining, consisting of 3 areas, i.e. a front yard (22 x 20') which includes the car porch, an air void (13 x 8') next to our dining hall and a backyard (22 x 9'). Most of our plants are potted since most of these areas are cemented/tiled. In fact, we've only 2 beds in the front yard and we try to maximise all available spaces, yet at the same time see that it's pleasant to the eyes!

Being a city dweller all my life, I'm not surprised that I got lost and carried away while touring Moosey's beautiful and awesome country garden (only the driveway garden toured so far) and thus delayed in replying to you. Sorry!

jacqueline
Thankful Gardener
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Zygocactus lover

28 Mar '06 9:02 pm
You have the "feeling" of the real gardener, the one who regards plants as living beings and not decorative articles! That's why you saved your sick Zygocactus from rot and you even created new babies!

Thanks, Liza for your lovely expression above! It brought a lone tear to my eyes, then joy being assured that I did something right: co-creating with nature, yup! (a beautiful phrase). I'm eagerly waiting for its blooms, mesmerized as you said.

Liza, what are terracota balls? Hope I don't seem so ignorant!

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

Your beautiful families!

28 Mar '06 9:08 pm
Dear Jaqueline!

I visited your beautiful website and I admired wholeheartedly both of your happy families, the family of your human world, and the one of your plant world! Yes! You do have the feeling of the real, human gardener, a gardener of a human family and the one of a garden family! Stay always that happy!

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

Terracota balls.

28 Mar '06 9:15 pm
Well. Terracota balls are actually tiny balls made by light terracota mixture, which have the capacity to absorb AND preserve the moisture. They were discovered more than thirty years ago , when some horticulturists used them for Hydroponics, a way to raise plants into these specific balls without any traditional compost. At the time, I had seem many plants raised like this in certain big , modern Banks of Athens.

You can find them in the good nurseries here in Belgium.

Next

Return to Unidentified Flowering Objects