karen Cunningham
helper

Please help me identify this plant

12 Jan '06 9:44 am
I was fortunate enough to meet a wonderful man who collects Cactus, succulants and Euphorbia from all over the world. In fact he has six football field sized greenhouses here in Northern California.

He gave me small cuttings from many plants, ALL except this one, have i been able to identify

SIMPLY STUMPED - your help would be most gratefully accepted.

I have (potentially) a couple of hints. I think it is from Madagascar and I think it is a euphorbia, although I have not broken any pieces to see if it produces milk. And given that it has taken over three years to grow to it's current size of 4 1/2 " from the 1" cutting, I am remiss to mess with it too much.

It like the heat, but not the sun too much. It was stunted when I had it in a very sunny place and really started to grow when I gave it a new warm shaded home.

I have and extensive array of Cactus and succulents for anyone looking for a gem!

Regards
Karen
Theunknown.jpg
The Unknown Plant

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

Hi, Karen!

13 Jan '06 10:51 am
Dear friend, I do admire and respect the seriousness, with which you reffer to the plants you love!

I personally have only one big and round cactus plant, which has created many "babies" attached around their "mom". In late Spring a young friend carries it on a sunny spot on our terrace. It is quite heavy to carry it myself, because of the plant itself and not its pot! During the winters it is placed in my heated green house, together with some other sensitive plants.

But ,no! I don't even know its name! I only admire its magnificent flowers , which look like very delicate and transparent pink Day Lillies. Each bloom lasts only one day , but imagine about eleven of these blooms opening almost together!

As you understand, I almost have no idea of cacti and succulents, except of the right way to feed them and water them. BUT! I checked a little in the internet AND in my books. Just because I admire your serious approach and love for your plants! In my books with no specific success. But in the internet, I found this site , where you can very possibly have an answer:

www.succulent-plant.com/home.html

In the bottom of this page, you will see some underlined red sentences. Go to " Cactus and Succulents by Genus or Type". I think you will find it really interesting, because it includes beautiful pictures for you, in order to compare with your own beautiful plant.

Good luck, Karen!

P.S.
I prefer the "Desert Rose " link.
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

karen Cunningham
helper

Plant Identified

20 Jan '06 4:22 am
Thanks everyone who took the time to look at my request to identify this plant.

It is no longer a mystery. I took it to the San Francisco Succulent and Cactus Society last Tuesday and as I was fumbling around in the heavy rain trying to find the place, a gentleman, on his way to said meeting stopped and in the dark, in the rain and identified my mystery plant as

Euphorbia Cylindrifolia, and indeed it is rather uncommon and from Madagaskar

Regards
Karen

Bex
Camberwell, London

Tropical Euphorbia

21 Jan '06 11:36 pm
Hi Karen and welcome to the forum. Great that your plant is identified - and such a random meeting! Apparently Euphorbias are notoriously hard to identify.

Would love to see more of your cactus and succulent collection.

catsmum
honoured helper
Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia

euphorbias

19 Feb '06 6:00 pm
I remember reading somewhere that the only identifying characteristic of a euphorbia is the milky sap... other than that they're as different from each other as chalk and cheese.
and btw am I the only one who didn't know that Poinsettias are euphorbias??
You can be sad that roses have thorns or happy that thorns have roses

pinmikaa

Re: Please help me identify this plant

29 Jan '15 11:59 pm
So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

30 Jan '15 11:14 pm
So what are you selling pinmikaa? :roll:

moosey
head gardener

31 Jan '15 7:12 am
Practicing pasting other peoples quotes, methinks! Cheers, M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com