Camellias..

Mydnyght
valued member
transtasman located kiwi

Camellias..

30 Sep '07 1:22 am
Errrr.. Ok I seem to have tripped over this concept a number of times in the past couple of months, both my inlaws and varied other sources have suggested or stated that camellias are not capable of surviving outdoors in a climate that is frosty and or windy. I come from the Kiwi Mainland.. way down south below the 45th parallel. We have had Cammelias for years and not only do they survive they have thrived. Canterbury (Christchurch) I also know is capable of growing camellias that thrive. I suspect that the main trick to growing camellias is to choose one that your local nursery stocks, or that suits your area. They are hardy, if you choose the right hybrid. My Favourite in the home garden when I last saw it was over five meters tall and was called Nuccio's pearl (Sp)

I hope this encourages someone to try and grow these magnificent plants and enjoy them as much as I do

moosey
head gardener

22 Oct '07 5:13 pm
I absolutely agree! I would wonder if humidity and/or heat might be worse garden companions for a Camellia that wind and frost!
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

Jack Holloway
Passionate Gardener
SEQUOIA FARM Haenertsburg South Africa

Frost and humidity

22 Oct '07 9:11 pm
Coming from a humid climate in a dry country, I would say that camellias NEED relatively high humidity. What they don't like at all is EARLY SUN on FROSTED FLOWERS - they brown and even drop off. In fact camellias drop their buds and flowers very easily - perhaps that is why they are said not to like wind?

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

Camellias

23 Oct '07 4:39 pm
They will do fine under other trees for shelter
Dixie.

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

Camelias Love...

24 Oct '07 9:32 am
Welcome dear friend to our Forum!! I am SO very busy with my Autumn gardening here in Belgium, that I just now discovered you joined!

Well, in Greece, where I come from, Camelias and Gardenias are the No 1 plants that the Greeks love !! Both acid-soil lovers !! They thrive both in the garden and in pots! All the precious advice our gardener friends have given you so far, I would also give to you! But I underline the acid soil factor, which is SO very essential!! Both Camelias and Gardenias need a lot of iron in their soil! In case they have not such soil , they loose their buds , and they get ill by Chloriosis disease, which turns their leaves to yellow , until they are completely dropped, and in severe cases the plants die...

Now. Here in Belgium I was amazed to discover Camelias in protected by winds gardens!! When I first moved here, some 13-14 years ago, the winter temperatures were falling even -15 Celcious!! So, I was really amazed by the fact , that these magnificent plants were thriving here! And, of course, being an eternal Camelia lover, I adopted one!! BUT : she lives in a huge pot offered to me by a nursery owner and friend, where he normally plants trees in his nursery. At the beginning, and for 2 years or so, she was living in a normally big pot. But after she happily grew up a lot, I transplanted her in this huge pot, which is placed in our patio, protected by the winds. She has a very good quality pot-compost , especially for acid-lover plants, and a very good draining system! Within a few days I will also protect her with a special white protective cloth. I will remove it by the beginning of March, a little earlier before she starts blooming...It is worthmentioning also , that Camelias hate being fed a little bit before, or during their blooming period!! In this case they might loose ALL their buds! I know it, cause it ...dreadfully happened to me!! They need good organic acid feeding in Autumn and very EARLY in Spring, exactly like the Rhodos and Azaleas, their fellow acid-loving friends , that also bloom in Spring.
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

arnold2008
helper

Camellias

17 Oct '08 6:06 pm
Camellias need air. The top of the root ball should be slightly above the soil level, enough so that you can see a few roots. You might want to put a rock or brick pedestal under the root ball to keep the root ball from sinking. Do not use a concrete block or scrap as a pedestal for the root ball. Calcium, concentrated in concrete, will kill the plant.Do not use peat moss or "landscape mix" with camellias; these fill pores in the soil and clog it, denying needed air to the roots and thereby drowning the plant.
____________________________________________________________________________________
Arnold
Our mission is to provide high quality end to end solutions to the BPO segment in a manner that will improve the operational efficiency while reducing the cost of the services to the client.
4thdimension1@gmail.com

Return to Unidentified Flowering Objects