TasV
contributor
Tasmania, Australia

Orange honeysuckle-like flowers??? (sorry... few photos)

3 Sep '07 11:33 pm
Hi All,

Been lurking here for a while and thought I'd start contributing :)

Just wondering if anyone knows what this is?

Close-up of flowers

The leaves:

The plant (about 2ft tall - it's covered in those orange/yellow honeysuckle-like flowers at them moment):

We are down in Tasmania, Australia, and it gets pretty cold down here... heavy frosts have burnt it slightly but I think a light trim once weather warms up a bit will see it on its way again.

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

?

4 Sep '07 6:40 am
Whatever it is ,it is certainly a really attractive shrub-it would probably be an Australian native,wouldn't it?
Your place looks a lovely natural setting for a garden.
Dixie.

TasV
contributor
Tasmania, Australia

6 Sep '07 12:57 am
No... this one's not an Aussie native unfortunately. Grows easily by cutting or layering too.

moosey
head gardener

6 Sep '07 6:02 pm
I don't know it, but I like it! The shrub as well as the flowers! Someone will know. Stupid idea - it's not an Olearia is it? Probably not, but I know there are some in Australia. Hmm...
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

Mark
Home gardener & plant fetishist
Berkeley, California, USA

Looks like a lobelia to me.

7 Sep '07 3:10 pm
Looks like the one we call Mexican Lobelia (L. laxiflora). It's a bit invasive. There are a couple other 'new' lobelias I grow which I'm more fond of. Lobelia tupa is wonderful, almost formal looking I think. Its catching on. Then I have one that I like even though its a bit more raggedy looking, I like the bloom color better. That's Lobelia aguana. I don't know if I have a picture of my Mexican Lobelia but I'll post the others so you can compare the flower shape. (Cuphea flowers look somewhat similar but I can't think of one with folliage just like yours.)
aaLlaxiflora.JPG
I believe this is your plant, but I don't have a close up.
aaLtupa#4.JPG
This is Lobelia tupa whose flower stalk is so symmetrical and the folliage is not showy but it is a nice foil for the pure red flower.
aaLaguana2.JPG
This is the rarest one I know of. Every time the top seems to bloom out, it shoots up another foot with another flock of blooms.
Mark in California

Q: "Do you ever sit down?"
A: "All the time until the urge to 'play' some more becomes too strong."

TasV
contributor
Tasmania, Australia

8 Sep '07 11:31 pm
Excellent !!! I believe it to be Lobelia laxiflora too. When you say invasive, what do you mean? Invasive seeds? Invasive runenrs etc? A quick google also reveals that it is quite toxic :shock:

Mark

Oops, I missed your reply somehow.

24 Sep '07 3:25 pm
By invasive I mean that when I moved it last fall it not only is doing very well in its new spot, but continues to be a force to recon with where I moved it from. Now to be honest I've been week willed about removing it there since I do like the plant but when I've tried to pull it out by the root it always seems to reimurge just fine. I suspect it does spread by runners and that the smallest bit of root is probably viable. If I were more persistant I suspect I could wear it out and finally defeat it.
Mark in California

shokami
contributor
oregon, usa

possibly

6 Oct '07 5:46 pm
hi! im from oregon. it almost looks like what i have. mine is a type of lobelia with flowers and leaves that look just like that. (but my flowers are red and yellow)and they can get quite large over time. maybe, but not sure.
:? kim

Mark

Sounds like the one.

7 Oct '07 1:16 am
The flower on your avatar is stunning. Some kind of hybiscus or malo? Just beautiful.

Welcome aboard by the way, Kim. I haven't been as regular a contributer lately as I would like now that school is back in session. Did I missed your arrival? I think you'll like this international little group. Everyone here is a serious garden but have drastically different challenges. Jack in Africa has a neighbor with hippo issues if you can imagine.
Mark in California

Jack Holloway
Passionate Gardener
SEQUOIA FARM Haenertsburg South Africa

Hippo issues

9 Oct '07 2:44 am
Mark you exaggerate! The 'neighbour' lives about 50 km (30 miles) away...

I've somehow never opened this post. I recognised the flower as something from my parents' Johannesburg garden. It arrived (literally) on a rock I acquired from another garden, survived and grew. 10 years on it is impressive, tends to be invasive, but is easy to control. (It HAS moved off the rock :) )I.e. I don't think it roots from remnents, because then it would be much less contained. I remember finding out what it was and being surprised, so the lobelia tag fits. In fact I've been wanting (a) to re-identify it for some time and (b) get some for my own garden. So thanks! :wink: By the way - they have no frost there, so if anything it will spread more slowly for you. A part has grown over two meters into a Japanese sacred bamboo (Nandina domestica) where it looks lovely and has been left 'to do its thing.'

By the way, your setting looks lovely - more pics please! And welcome to both you and -oops- I'm editing so I can't check: the Oregon USA gardener with the lovely dark red flower (hollyhock?) avatar.

Next

Return to Unidentified Flowering Objects