Please tell me what this is?

ohio_gardener
helper

Please tell me what this is?

25 Aug '07 3:38 am
About 5 months ago we moved into our new house that had a very nice landscape. Unfortunately, the prior owners decided to do their landscape and put a privacy fence 15 feet from the the property line. My husband and I decided to push the fence back and re do the landscape in the backyard. This was done at the end of June. The landscaper that did the job took all the existing plants out and planned in re using them. There were 3 plants that had a tree form of approximately 3 or 4 feet that looked dead but that was starting to put some purplish leaves at the bottom. I asked the landscaper if he knew what this was and he had no idea so I decided that we will get throw them away (I was hoping that I wasn't getting rid off anything important or pretty or expensive). Anyway, I guess the one of the plants was not taken completely by the roots because while we were getting the soil ready to plant some grass seed I noticed that the same plant / tree had put out some new leaves and was very small. I digged out the entire root system and it looked like some big tuberous bulb (spelling?)Since I was curious to know what "I threw away" I put the new growing plant in a planter and in the last 2 weeks has grown a lot. Here are the pics. These are only leaves as it doesn't have any flowers. It looks like the leaves of a type of hibiscuos (I am really hoping I didn't put in the trash three of these plants!!).
Sorry about the lenghty explanation but hopefully somebody can identified this thing.
DSCN2405 (Medium).JPG
DSCN2403 (Medium).JPG
DSCN2404 (Medium).JPG

Mark
Home gardener & plant fetishist
Berkeley, California, USA

Peony? Help.

25 Aug '07 11:25 am
These are on the short list of plants that won't grow here, but I've seen them elsewhere. I wonder if that is that what it is? If it is someone here will know it, Liza .. Moosey .. Jack .. Gordon .. help.
Mark in California

Q: "Do you ever sit down?"
A: "All the time until the urge to 'play' some more becomes too strong."

Faith S
Perpetually learning gardener
Alabama, USA

Not much more to offer, but

26 Aug '07 2:33 am
Peony is as good a guess as any, especially since it seems to have a bulbous root system. My only contribution to this discussion is that since it is doing so well in the pot, keep it watered and see what happens. You may get a pleasant surprise. One caution, if it is a peony, it may not bloom for a couple of years now because they don't like to be disturbed. It may take some time off to rest and re-group.
Faith at Bide-a-Wee Farm, Alabama, USA

Come abide with me a wee while.

ohio_gardener
helper

26 Aug '07 5:26 am
Thanks. I will keep it in the pot and move it to a bigger one if I have to, I am really curious to see what this turns out to be.

ohio_gardener
helper

I found out what type of plant I threw away....

26 Aug '07 10:16 am
I am just so upset that I got rid off such a nice plant. It is a hibiscus, possibly King Copper or something like that. At least I was able to save a small piece. I will look around the yard again to see if I fin other ones growing. Thanks for the help.

http://www.pbase.com/hjsteed/image/45075446

Faith S
Perpetually learning gardener
Alabama, USA

Mystery solved.

2 Sep '07 4:04 am
Glad you discovered what you have. Now you will know how to care for it. I don't think it will be necessary to keep it in a pot, as it would probably do just fine planted out in a nice spot in your new garden.
Faith at Bide-a-Wee Farm, Alabama, USA

Come abide with me a wee while.

Return to Unidentified Flowering Objects