gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

Rhubarb?

3 Jun '07 6:36 pm
Well, Jack, I know that I didn't plant either rhubarb or gunnera seeds, but I'll keep an open mind! To me it still resembles some odd sort of dock or maybe a giant plantain (not the banana kind!), but I didn't plant them, either! the search continues!

All the best,

gordonf

Jack Holloway
Passionate Gardener
SEQUOIA FARM Haenertsburg South Africa

Ligularia?

3 Jun '07 6:59 pm
?!?

Jack Holloway
Passionate Gardener
SEQUOIA FARM Haenertsburg South Africa

Ligularia?

3 Jun '07 7:00 pm
?!?

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

Ligularia

3 Jun '07 7:29 pm
You know, Jack, that may be it! I seem to vaguely remember lusting after a type of spotted ligularia; maybe that just COULD be it! I'll do some searching around my catalogues and see whether there are any ligularias checked off!
These don't have spots on them, but perhaps they come with age.

Thanks for the idea!

Cheers!

gordonf

Mark
Home gardener & plant fetishist
Berkeley, California, USA

Ligularia?

5 Jun '07 12:52 pm
This is a variegated ligularia (dentata I think). I've seen spotted ones and have grown the one they call the rocket, but I don't remember leaves shaped like that.
variegated ligularia .JPG
This one grows under the shade of the Gunnera m..
Mark in California

Q: "Do you ever sit down?"
A: "All the time until the urge to 'play' some more becomes too strong."

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

Ligularia

5 Jun '07 6:32 pm
Hi, Mark!

Thanks for the picture of the Ligularia. The leaves on it are much rounder than on the mystery plant, so unless there is a variety with pointier ones, Ligularia may not be the answer! Hmmm. . . the mystery deepens!!

Cheers!

gordonf

TasV
contributor
Tasmania, Australia

3 Sep '07 11:45 pm
Unfortunately this is one plant that should be shovel pruned... It's a serious weed called velvetleaf (Abutilon theophrasti).

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=ABTH

http://extension.missouri.edu/explore/a ... etleaf.htm

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

Abutilon

4 Sep '07 4:21 pm
Hi, TasV;

Thanks for the info., but it can't be what you suggest as it is most definitely a perennial, but the Missouri information listed it as an annual. I still think it must be a type of Dock, even though its leaves are much smoother than all the local Docks that I've seen. Right now, its leaves are very yellow as it has been in too much sunshine. Next year I'll make sure to keep it in deep shade to see if it might bloom for me. Maybe then we'll identify it!

Cheers!

gordonf

TasV
contributor
Tasmania, Australia

5 Sep '07 12:07 am
I hope you are right (though unfortunately I don't think you are...). I would just keep an eye on it. The plant is generally conisdered an annual but can also grow as a perennial (http://www.hort.wisc.edu/mastergardener ... etleaf.htm). If your area is around zone 7 then there is a good chance it will grow as a perenial there especially with a little tlc and/or a sheltered position. The flower on yours matches this as do the leaves and stem. If you like it (it is quite nice and has been used by the Chinese for centuries for fibre production) I would ensure that any seed heads were removed befor ethey matured to prevent any accidental releases.

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

Oh-oh!

5 Sep '07 3:48 pm
Hi again, TasV;

Well, my plants have never bloomed for far; I wish they would to help me identify them! I'll keep your warning in mind!

Cheers!

gordonf

PreviousNext

Return to Unidentified Flowering Objects