gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

Anyone Recognize this Plant??

11 May '07 7:11 pm
Does anyone know the name of this plant? It was given to a friend by an aged aunt who couldn't remember its name, and, later, I was given a piece of it. I've never seen it before, but it's an outdoor plant here.

If you look closely at the picture, you'll see that it has fuzzy stems and leaves, and tiny, yellow flowers. It's about 15 inches or 40cm high and grows from a fibrous root. Oh, yes, it blooms here in the spring.

-gordonf
Mystery Plant1.jpg
Fuzzy stems & leaves, yellow flowers in Spring - what is it??

Jack Holloway
Passionate Gardener
SEQUOIA FARM Haenertsburg South Africa

Begonia?

12 May '07 9:06 am
My first thought is a species begonia, but the flower seems a little too symmetrical. Does it prefer shade? But what are the bits at 2 and at 8 o'clock that look like bracts around spent flowers? That is not begonia-ish! :?

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

Bracts??

12 May '07 10:22 am
Hi, Jack-

No, I think that the objects you thought looked like bracts seem more like sepals, and there are 3 of them on each flower. I don't know whether it likes sun or shade; where I have it it gets about half and half. Also I don't know how much moisture it needs as yet. The leaves, being softly fuzzy, don't seem much like any begonia that I've ever seen, but I'm sure there are many that I don't know about.

I will, however, look up begonias and see whether I can find any that resemble this plant. I've never heard of a begonia with yellow flowers, though. :)

Thanks for the suggestion!

Cheers!

-gordonf

Jack Holloway
Passionate Gardener
SEQUOIA FARM Haenertsburg South Africa

Late night aberation

12 May '07 7:53 pm
Sorry, Gordon, I MEANT sepals! And Begonias don't have sepals - or at least nothing as 'developed' as those. So we start again. We have a little wild begonia with the softest of orange flowers that looks a little like your picture, which set me thinking in that direction.

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

Unknown Plant

13 May '07 4:11 pm
So, Jack, we struck out on the begonia idea. I'm sure I've run across this plant somewhere before but I can't remember where! Maybe this will help: the leaves feel like much-rumpled brown paper or like very thin velvet. Ring any bells??

gordonf

Faith S
Perpetually learning gardener
Alabama, USA

15 May '07 11:33 am
Could it possibly be an Aubutelon, otherwise known as flowering maple? The leaves look right, but I'm not so sure about the flower.
Faith at Bide-a-Wee Farm, Alabama, USA

Come abide with me a wee while.

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

Abutilon

15 May '07 1:59 pm
Hi, Faith, and, no, it's not an abutilon. I have 3 of them and the mystery plant's leaves are much more fuzzy than those of the abutilon. Also, I now have discovered that the mystery plant doesn't like the sun very much. Since putting it in noonday sun, its leaves have been crisping up and turning brown, so I moved it to where it won't get so much sunshine.

Thanks for the idea, though! I appreciate it! :D

gordonf

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

Mystery plant

15 May '07 4:45 pm
I have been thinking about this plant on and off all week -it couldn't possibly be of the pumpkin family could it ???Cucumber-squash-choko??? We'll see what happens to the flowers- :?
Dixie

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

Choko??

15 May '07 4:57 pm
Hi, Dixie-

I don't think it belongs to the pumpkin family as it shows no tendency to trail or to climb. While I've seen Chokos in the stores, I have no idea what their growth habits are - do they grow upright? This plant has quite strong, branchlike stems that grow from a common, fibrous root.

Thanks for the suggestion! :D

gordonf

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

Chokos

15 May '07 8:27 pm
Chokos grow upright, sideways,diagonally -every which way.Don't leave your doors and windows open.They completely covered a friend's garage - me and other friends had pan-fried chokos,boiled chokos,steamed chokos,choko pie, choko anything.
If it is sitting looking at you(smugly I would guess) without doing anything it is safe to say it is not a choko.
Dixie.

Next

Return to Unidentified Flowering Objects