Bambi
Slowly Learning Gardener
Kent, England

Here's a few for you to get your teeth into...

11 May '07 2:35 am
Now that things are starting to sprout in my garden, there are a few plants which I just don't recognise and wondered if you could help me.

The first one has come up and has looked like it's about to bud up and flower for weeks now, but it just hasn't taken the plunge! Unfortunately the slugs seem to have got to a couple of the leaves but apart from that, it seems to be doing ok.

The second is climbing up a trellis and seems to be quite vigorous as it's beating everything else so far for growth. Unfortunately it's right next to my New Dawn Rose that I had planted to climb up that very trellis, so I will need to know what it is to make sure it won't harm the rose in any way.

The third and fourth pictures are of another unknown, which I've spotted coming up in two places. Since I took these photos, the buds have opened into lovely pinky-white flowers which hang downwards and look like a very small sort-of cactus-dahlia flower (if that makes sense!).

Last is something I mentioned in my huge essay I've just posted in the garden diaries section. It had lain dormant over the winter as just a trunk which I was going to pull up, but now it's got loads of new growth and I'm keen to see what happens.

Any help/suggestions would be most welcome on one or all of these!

Thank you my friends :D
Bambi
x
Unknown 1.jpg
Unknown 2.jpg
Unknown 3.jpg
Unknown 3a.jpg
Unknown 4.jpg
"If you'd have a mind at peace
A heart that cannot harden
Go find a door that opens wide
Upon a beautiful garden."
Author Unknown

Jay Bee
honoured helper

Bambi's dentures

11 May '07 5:57 pm
The first may be erythronium (spring flowering bulb/turber)
2 is a clematis, flowering climber.
3 looks and sounds like aquilegia (granny's bonnets) self seeding perennial
4 is too vague to ID; if it flowers later that should help.

moosey
head gardener

13 May '07 8:58 am
I like 3 being an Aquilegia - definitely - they are really gangly looking when their flower stalks push up. Congrats, JayBee, you are Today's Legend of Gardening! Just today's, mind you.... Hee hee.
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

Anna
Gone to seed
Hamilton, New Zealand

13 May '07 7:45 pm
I'd ditto it being an aquilegia.
Woof?

Jack Holloway
Passionate Gardener
SEQUOIA FARM Haenertsburg South Africa

New Dawn etc.

13 May '07 8:06 pm
My comment is watch that creeper! Often creepers are pernicious, and we have one that looks similar which is a weed that knows just how to place itself for maximum effect. The clue is that it has a milky sap, which you see when you break off a leaf. I don't know its name.

My experience is that little gets a New Dawn down. I planted one mistakenly in the original part of the Rosemary Borders three years ago, and despite being in dense planting it has crawled along the ground (I thought it was a shrub when I planted it) and flung itself about with * abandon, using the other plants where it chose to lean languidly on. I have kept it there simply to see what happens next, and have not been disappointed in its performance.

It is always exciting to see what one has in a 'new' garden. I once had a garden which had suffered ten years of neglect and or three years we had odd things coming up - some where bulbs that merely survived and eventually flowered after three years of TLC!

Faith S
Perpetually learning gardener
Alabama, USA

Mysteries

15 May '07 11:28 am
My goodness Bambi, you have quite a few mysteries on your hands. The Aquilegia is easy, but most of the others will be harder until you see some flowers, if they ever produce any. Jack is right about that vine growing next to the New Dawn. That thing bears close watching because it seems very vigorous. We also have a pernicious weedy plant similar to that which has very wiry stems with viscious thorns behind the leaves. It grows from a potato-like tuber deep in the ground and unless you can dig up the tuber, it just comes right back when it is cut. Keep us posted about what you discover.
Faith at Bide-a-Wee Farm, Alabama, USA

Come abide with me a wee while.

shokami
contributor
oregon, usa

better late

6 Oct '07 5:50 pm
number 3 almost looks like it could also be a geum of sorts. what color flowers does it have?
kim

sunnybun
helper

22 May '08 4:30 am
I think the 3rd one is a "Plume Poppy". The plant gets fairly large and is invasive as it self seeds and baby plants will be found throughout your garden and maybe a few neighbours gardens too. Don` let it go to seed. It is a striking plant though.

youareonline
valued member

27 Aug '08 7:10 pm
sunnybun wrote:I think the 3rd one is a "Plume Poppy". The plant gets fairly large and is invasive as it self seeds and baby plants will be found throughout your garden and maybe a few neighbours gardens too. Don` let it go to seed. It is a striking plant though.
Indeed this is the case, I think so, you and I like the idea of.

Return to Unidentified Flowering Objects