gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

Unknown Cactus

23 Mar '07 6:54 pm
Does anyone know what variety of cactus this is? I bought it several years ago as a small one and now it has grown well and blooms late every summer. Here are 2 pictures of it.

Thanks.

-gordonf
Cactus 1B.jpg
My cactus in bloom in August
Cactus 2B.jpg
A picture of my cactus in an 8 inch pot.

Mydnyght
valued member
transtasman located kiwi

30 Sep '07 12:39 am
Echinopsis Scoullar

I have just stolen the tag out of my partners one that looks identical, although has I only bought it earlier this year we have yet to see it flower.

"Very attractive clumping plant will tolerate any conditions. 10cm light purple flowers spring to summer " is what the tag says in it's entirety. The plant itself looks identical. Hope this helps
Myd

GardenGnome
Happily Toiling Away
Regina, Saskatchewan

Wow!

30 Sep '07 5:59 am
Great looking cactii you got there. I bought my first cactii last spring. It is a fairy castle cactus. It seems to be doing all right, but another cactii I bought isn't doing well at all. I still don't know the ways of the cactii.

Your's looks fab! Love the bloom. Almost bigger than the cactus itself.

Christopher
A Gnome's at home in his garden.

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

Cactus

30 Sep '07 9:56 am
Thanks, Mydnight and Christopher, for the comments! I'm hoping my plant will someday have those purple flowers!

Cheers!
gordonf

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

Echinopsis Cactus

2 Oct '07 10:56 am
Dear Gordon, I think I told you in your Diary about my Echinopsis Cactus, when we were discussing about your new little Cactus . Well, here it is . It is just like yours, only the blooms are light pink. This photo is not so good, but you can clearly observe the similarities :
Echinopsis.jpg
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

Cactus

2 Oct '07 4:23 pm
Hi, Liza- Yes, your DOES look just like mine, but paler in colour! Thanks for the picture!! By the way, over the last 2 days, we have set a new record for the amount of rainfall here on Vancouver Island. It seems that the fall monsoons have started early this year!

Cheers!

gordonf

Mydnyght
valued member
transtasman located kiwi

Purple flowers,

14 Jan '08 3:02 pm
The colour of the flowers may be related to the environment it is in Gordon... our one finally flowered and while the flowers are very similiar to yours... they are quite a light pink, very close in colour to Liza's.

My next step is to id the rest of the dratted cactii around here which turn up labelled cactus and general info only on the tags. GP has a soft spot for the things.. the bit I don't like about them is they bite.. and they seem to move so they can bite me .

beth.iflorist
valued contributor

9 Jul '09 10:57 pm
Wow it looks wonderful. Never seen anything like it. Beth www.iflorist.co.uk

craftsmaster
valued member
Gold Coast

Re: Unknown Cactus

27 Jul '10 6:17 pm
Not particular about cactus sub-species. But certain enough that it caries with it the potential of being cancerous. The moment we found this fact, we turned them down into ash.
Carmel Santos
CEO of Herb Gardening Guide
Growing Herbs in Pots
Herb Garden Plants

Amazing, isn't it? A mystique shrouds the rose.
Rose Guide

sss88
helper

Re: Unknown Cactus

16 Aug '10 6:20 pm
I would use just a regular potting mix, but add a very little sand and some vermiculite. You can buy potting mixes just for cacti, but they are usually expensive. I'm in Adelaide and my potted cacti go fine with an all round potting mix with sand. Where are you? If you are in a cooler/wetter area, you need more drainage, whereas I'm in a much dryer place and I still need wettasoil every six months for pots, even for my cacti that are indoors. I also add a little blood and bone. Don't get the super expensive mixes, they can be too rich for cacti. Hope this helps!

Next

Return to Unidentified Flowering Objects