teecee
honoured member
West Otago, New Zealand

Lobelia

20 Feb '07 7:18 pm
That is a lovely lobelia, Liza. I have the same, but in a purple and a shocking pink. Would those colours stand out in your garden, gordonf (LOL!)? They self seed a little and are totally hardy - sorry, no pictures. Is Canada as hard to bring seeds into as New Zealand is, gordonf? Because I could send some when ripe if it is possible.
Hope you keep all toasty warm with your new fire. Today was like living in an oven, it was so hot, I appreciated the air conditioning at work - didn't want to go outside!

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

Seeds

20 Feb '07 8:22 pm
Hi, Teecee!

Yes, Lobelias ARE lovely! Sure, I'd like to try some seeds of your plants, and, as far as I know, it's easy to send seeds to Canada. Not like Australia, where they have to be bleached, etc.

I'll be glad when I have to fire up the air conditioner again, although I really seldom need it here, what with the sea breezes coming up the river, and so on. I'm getting sick and tired of the constant rain lately, and it freezes every couple of nights or so as well. Of course, when that time comes, it will probably be around for quite a while so that by the fifth week of heat and drought, we'll all be hoping for a thunder storm to clear the air! Never satisfied, eh? :lol:

And thanks very much for the offer! It's really cool to have plants growing from seeds that actually came from distant parts of the world; that's why I buy from all over. And it's even better when I can say that they came from a particular person's garden!! I remember when I was a kid back east that an elderly couple once gave me an iris rhizome that they had brought from their former garden on the west coast. How I treasured that plant each year when it bloomed!!

Cheers!

-gordonf

teecee
honoured member
West Otago, New Zealand

Lobelia

22 Feb '07 10:01 pm
While running around like a headless chook today, trying to make every second count, I noticed that one lobelia is about to flower. As soon as it does, I will take a photo and you decide if you like it. We can then organize e-mail addresses.Are there any other seeds you would like? I admit to being a compulsive seed collector and I have a huge variety of plants. There was a very good New Zealand seed exchange a few years ago from which I acquired many unusual plant seeds. I have often thought that I would like to start one again, myself. But that will have to wait till I can dedicate time to run it. Meantime I get seeds from the Scottish Rock Garden Society as well as my own plants.
Isn't it wonderful to have a garden full of memories! Many of my plants have come from friends' gardens or I have bought something special while on a trip away.
I have a second cousin who used to live in Calgary, Alberta. He used to write to my mother about the winters there and I couldn't imagine how anyone could survive those conditions!As far as I know he lives in Vancouver now, if he is still alive that is - I've lost touch. I googled his name the other day and see he was made a life member of the ex teachers of Calgary Society in, I think, 2005, so he may be around still.His name is Frank Hoskyn- perhaps you could do me a favour and look up a telephone number?

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

Missing Relative

23 Feb '07 4:42 pm
Hi, teecee-

I'd be happy to see if I can find your relative's number. Just give me a day or so and I'll get back to you.

I, also, used to participate in seed exchanges, and they were lots of fun. That's how I got the seeds of my Jack-In-The-Pulpit plants, which should be big enough to plant out this spring. Now I'm growing a different kind from China, which I posted a week or so ago on one of these forums (fora?? :roll: ).

Cheers!

gordonf

teecee
honoured member
West Otago, New Zealand

Thanks

23 Feb '07 8:59 pm
Hi gordonf
Please don't go to too much trouble - it was just a sudden thought I had while writing the last post. I missed Frank on his last trip to New Zealand a few years ago and have wondered how he has been for awhile now.
How large is your garden? You may have already described it in detail - I guess I should go back over the many posts I have missed before I start asking questions.....

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

Relatives & Gardens

24 Feb '07 2:49 pm
Hi, teecee-

Well, so far I've struck out trying to locate your relative's phone number; however, he might have moved to another province for retirement, so I'm going to try to contact the Alberta Retired Teachers' Association and see if they know of his whereabouts. Perhaps I'll find him that way.

As for my garden's size, it's pretty small, as I live in a mobile home park. As a result, I garden on rooftops and trellises quite a lot. If you check around, you'll find a few pictures of my garden here. For my "main" garden, my vision is to make it resemble a box canyon in a relatively dry area. As a result, my three main trees are a Russian Olive, a Willow-leaved Weeping Pear, and a Smoke Tree, all of which have blue or grey leaves and which don't grow too big. I have trellises to hide the neighbouring trailer's wall (hence the box canyon idea), and a recycling water feature at one end which, to my mind, at least, resembles an animal watering trough fed by an old, rusty iron pipe.

Well, that's the plan, and when the hot, dry part of the summer arrives, it pretty well fits the role. I'll be posting more pictures as spring progresses.

Cheers,

gordonf

teecee
honoured member
West Otago, New Zealand

Found photos

27 Feb '07 8:38 pm
I came across the photos of your garden last night - why I always start to look through a thread at the last page, I don't know! The reason I wanted to know, was so that I could send suitable seeds. The size certainly restricts things, but then you might like to share with your gardening buddies?

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

Sharing Seeds

28 Feb '07 3:17 pm
Hi, teecee-

I'd be happy to share seeds with anyone who'd like something of what I have. Of course, it would be better to "put in your order" early in the season so that I'll know what seeds to keep. So if you happen to see me mention something that I have, or see it in a picture, just let me know and I'll let you know whether or not I can collect seeds of it for you!

There should be a lot more pictures of my garden as the season progresses; for example, I planted the first seeds of Chinese Forget-Me-Not today outside, as I was unsure whether or not they needed cold treatment in order to germinate. I have lots more in case these ones don't grow.

Have a great day!!

-gordonf

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

Happy to "see" you again!

1 Mar '07 2:38 am
Dear Gordon, I was really happy to read your message to Teecee! I guess, you are very busy in your Springtime garden lately! Here the weather is rather sad, it has been raining every day for the last week...All the poor Crocus little blooms look like ...a wet kitten.. Not a happy, or inspiring sight at all...Please, send us some new photos of your Springing garden! It will be a real delight for me/us! Image Be happy! :D :D
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

Another Picture

1 Mar '07 3:14 pm
Hi, Liza-

Actually, I have not been very busy in the garden lately, as the weather has been terrible: pouring rain, very windy and, today, SNOW!! Not much snow, though, so it should be gone by later tomorrow. I managed to get the fruit trees pruned in spite of it all, and I've been having a good time watching all the birds at my bird feeder: flickers, chickadees, a few robins, sparrows, some kind of thrush that I don't recognize and, of course, my precious pileated woodpeckers! I've posted another picture of one of them that I took yesterday from my computer room window. They're gradually getting used to my being there and don't fly away as often as they used to do.

This Saturday I'm going to a seed exchange and exhibition of local nursery people in Courtenay, the next town south on the Island. It's called, "Seedy Saturday" and occurs on the first weekend of March each year. There are films about gardening as well as a series of seminars on various topics of interest to gardeners such as "Winter Gardening" "Compost Making", "Native Plants in the Garden" and so on. This year an interesting one is all about using native plants as medicine. I might attend that one. It's also possible to buy seeds and plants there, so I'll need to keep a tight rein on my wallet :lol: !

I just discovered that my digital camera will take short videos so I plan to try out this feature and see if I can get it to work. If I can, then I'll try to post a little video of my garden later in the spring. For now, though, there's precious little in bloom other than snowdrops, crocus, iris and hellebores, and I've already sent pictures of all of them! Most other plants have sent up shoots and/or plump buds, though, so it shouldn't be very long before I'll have something to send.

Cheers!

gordonf
Pileated Woodpecker2B.jpg
Another image of one of the pileated woodpeckers that frequent my bird feeder. He/she's SO cool!!

PreviousNext

Return to Unidentified Flowering Objects