Any takers on what this is?

cajunangi
distinguished helper
South Louisiana

Any takers on what this is?

14 Feb '07 10:31 am
I snapped this pic when I was in New Orleans following the hurricane. Has anyone got an idea of what it is? It survived a Cat 4 hurricane and floods and debris like cars passing over and stood up and smiled.

Thanks to who ever can name this "hurricane flower"
Hurricanflower.jpg
May we all take the time to stop and smell the roses..if we dont then why do we grow them?
AngelaImage

williamca

Hurricane Flower

14 Feb '07 2:21 pm
Common bulb throughout the South. Will not grow in the sub-tropics. Lycoris radiata - http://www.floridata.com/ref/l/lyco_rad.cfm
William

cajunangi
distinguished helper
South Louisiana

14 Feb '07 4:03 pm
Many thanks!
May we all take the time to stop and smell the roses..if we dont then why do we grow them?
AngelaImage

Faith S
Perpetually learning gardener
Alabama, USA

Lycoris radiata

15 Feb '07 2:21 am
They are a very common bulb throughout the south US as well. They also go by the common name "Naked Ladies" because the flower stem arises out of seemingly bare earth and the flowers bloom, then after the bloom passes, the foliage emerges. They can tolerate very wet conditions, so it's not surprising that they came through the flooding unscathed.
Faith at Bide-a-Wee Farm, Alabama, USA

Come abide with me a wee while.

moosey
head gardener

Oops - Naked Ladies

15 Feb '07 7:44 am
Lots of us here call Nerines 'Naked ladies' - I think they also get the name 'Pink Ladies', which sort of makes sense. Maybe they are relations of Lyconis? Unfortunately , if we mention these bulbs much more - whether they be Nerines or Lyconis or both - we'll probably get seriously spammed! Hee hee.
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

Faith S
Perpetually learning gardener
Alabama, USA

Oops!

16 Feb '07 2:19 am
Quite right Moosey. No more talk of those un-named ladies.

Yes, I'll bet your nerines are related to the other lycoris types. There are the red ones that look more like spider lilies and also pink ones that we call Magic Lilies. I bought some bulbs of the red ones last year, from a vendor at a farmer's market, to plant in my vege garden flanking my resting bench. I hope they will emerge this year and bloom.
Faith at Bide-a-Wee Farm, Alabama, USA

Come abide with me a wee while.

Return to Unidentified Flowering Objects