Help!

Bambi
Slowly Learning Gardener
Kent, England

Help!

24 Jan '07 4:24 am
Hi all,

I just wondered if anyone could identify this plant which has popped up in a couple of areas around my garden. I haven't planted anything specific in those places, so I know it's not something I desperately want to keep and, as such, I'm tempted to just pull them all out and see what happens, but I thought I'd better at least try and find out what it is beforehand! :D
DSCF0091a.JPG
"If you'd have a mind at peace
A heart that cannot harden
Go find a door that opens wide
Upon a beautiful garden."
Author Unknown

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

24 Jan '07 5:28 am
Bambi, I think (95%) they are bulbous plants, and it is better to give them a chance! Bulbous plants multiply on their own over the years and offer us lovely surprises! My red tulips are the best example in the garden, but yours are not tulips. Small daffodils-maybe??
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

Faith S
Perpetually learning gardener
Alabama, USA

Mystery Plants

24 Jan '07 8:59 am
I agree with Liza, they are probably either bulbs or corms. I don't think they are Daffodils; possibly Snowdrops (galanthus), crocus or possibly one of the Scilla or Hyacinth varieties. Give them a chance and you might be surprised with some delightful little blooms.
Faith at Bide-a-Wee Farm, Alabama, USA

Come abide with me a wee while.

teecee
honoured member
West Otago, New Zealand

24 Jan '07 4:52 pm
Hi Bambi
They look to me like young Spanish bluebells - Hyacinthoides hispanica, syn Scilla campanulata, S.hispanica. They are pretty bulbs with either blue, pink or white flowers, but are yet another of the pretty but weedy type of plants. Unless you have a plenty of room, it is best to take the seed heads off before they mature.

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

24 Jan '07 10:17 pm
Hi, Teecee! Tell me, WHY you do not post a little more often??
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

Jay Bee
honoured helper

Re: Help!

25 Jan '07 2:08 am
Bambi wrote:Hi all,

I just wondered if anyone could identify this plant which has popped up in a couple of areas around my garden. I haven't planted anything specific in those places, so I know it's not something I desperately want to keep and, as such, I'm tempted to just pull them all out and see what happens, but I thought I'd better at least try and find out what it is beforehand! :D

It looks like leaves of bluebell bulbs. Lovely in a woodland but they can be very invasive in a flowerbed.

Faith S
Perpetually learning gardener
Alabama, USA

Spanish Bluebells

25 Jan '07 3:18 am
Yes, I agree, they do look a lot like Spanish Bluebells (which I love). I have one clump in one of my shade areas that I have been hoping would spread, but it only seems to increase by bulb division, not seed. I guess my different climate is not as hospitable to them as some others where they can be invasive. The one that I have came in a wildflower bulb mix, so I really don't know exactly what variety it is. I have tried ordering only Spanish Bluebells, but they didn't look quite the same when they came up and bloomed last year; so maybe the one loner is a different variety of bluebell.
Faith at Bide-a-Wee Farm, Alabama, USA

Come abide with me a wee while.

Bambi
Slowly Learning Gardener
Kent, England

25 Jan '07 5:36 am
Hi all, and thank you all so much for your kind replies. I promise I’ll leave them alone for now and post some pics of the flowers if/when they bloom!
"If you'd have a mind at peace
A heart that cannot harden
Go find a door that opens wide
Upon a beautiful garden."
Author Unknown

teecee
honoured member
West Otago, New Zealand

26 Jan '07 6:09 pm
Hi Liza
I would love to post more often, but I work full time, am developing a large garden and have an 18 year old daughter - the last child to leave home, who spends a lot of time on the Internet. One more week and I will have the Internet all to myself! At the moment I only get to read the parts of the forums that I am particularly interested in, that is identifying plants - I love a challenge!

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

A computer stage...

27 Jan '07 12:00 am
Dear Teecee, I can completely understand you, since my husband and I have both passed already by this ...computer stage! But you say you have a big garden! It is just a shame you have only sent precious botanical advice so far! Please, send us some of your garden photos! In this way, it will be a challenge for us to get to meet your plants!

Next

Return to Unidentified Flowering Objects