Blue Weedy Forget-me-nots

moosey
head gardener

Blue Weedy Forget-me-nots

10 Dec '06 6:55 am
I am having trouble identifying a weedy lant which has always grown in my garden. The leaves have fine hairs which can sting sensitive hands, and the flowers are little forget-me-not blues. I can't remove all the root systems. Photo coming!
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

Jay Bee
honoured helper

Re: Blue Weedy Forget-me-nots

14 Dec '06 11:09 pm
moosey wrote:I am having trouble identifying a weedy lant which has always grown in my garden. The leaves have fine hairs which can sting sensitive hands, and the flowers are little forget-me-not blues. I can't remove all the root systems. Photo coming!

Is it green alkanet? Pentaglossis sempervirens has rough leaves.
here's some pics from google/immages search.

http://images.google.co.uk/images?svnum ... tnG=Search
Last edited by Jay Bee on 17 Dec '06 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moosey
head gardener

Success!

15 Dec '06 7:19 am
Do you know, I'm pretty sure that it is exactly this plant! I peered at all the google search images, and it looks very very like. It's a benign nuisance, if there is such a thing! And just occasionally, with fresh young leaves, I leave it alone. I've tried excavating areas to remove the fleshy roots - they grow fat, and are easily pulled out - but always some bit will get left behind!

Thankyou so much!
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com

Jack Holloway
Passionate Gardener
SEQUOIA FARM Haenertsburg South Africa

blue pimpernel?

16 Dec '06 7:30 am
Is it the same plant I've always called Blue pimpernel, I wonder? It looks just like red pimpernel, except...

It is a tiny groundhugger, with me often growing in rough lawn, and I adore it. I shall watch out for it and photograph it. And I shall also peer at these Google images...

Hey! Welcome on board Jay Bee! It is great when a newcomer sticks his neck out and gives an opinion and just generally gets involved with this wonderful forum!

Jay Bee
honoured helper

Re: blue pimpernel?

21 Dec '06 5:30 am
Jack Holloway wrote:Is it the same plant I've always called Blue pimpernel, I wonder? It looks just like red pimpernel, except...

It is a tiny groundhugger, with me often growing in rough lawn, and I adore it.

Is that one of the speedwells? Don't know if you have those in South Africa

Hey! Welcome on board Jay Bee! It is great when a newcomer sticks his neck out and gives an opinion and just generally gets involved with this wonderful forum!

Hi Jack, I've had a cyber-ramble in your garden, thanks for that treat. Some South-African natives plants do well here (island off Scotland with a wet mild climate). I have several agapanthus and a shameful weakness for watsonias. Moosey, you might find watsonias "do" in your climate too. It's a spiky-leaf bulb/corm with flowers arranged all up the stem, a little bit like a crocosmia.

moosey
head gardener

Watsonias. Oops

21 Dec '06 7:42 am
Oops. Confession time. I got given a massive clump of the normal pink Watsonias when I first came to the country. In they went, and they were lovely. But.... they seemed to have more strength and show after flowering, and I'd let them die back in their own time (which was ages and ages) and .....

Notice that like most real confessions this one is rambling on and on! Well, I dug them out after a few years. But that was back then, when I got a bit bothered by bright pink. Hmm... wonder where I dumped them?
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com

Teen
contributor
Wiltshire, UK

27 May '08 9:07 am
I have the same plant in my garden too and have never gotten rid of it for the same reason its quite prickly. It is Alkanet.
Teen

beth.iflorist
valued contributor

2 Jul '09 12:25 am
Looking forward to the photograph of weeds to be posted in your upcoming post. Beth www.iflorist.co.uk

Return to Unidentified Flowering Objects