June's Garden

fenwillow
Fraser Valley, BC, Canada

New Spring pictures

18 Apr '15 2:23 am
I've finally taken a couple of pictures of the Spring garden. It's difficult to find good shots... that don't show the unmowed, unweeded areas. Everything is growing so fast that it's hard to keep on top of it!

I've come up with only two pics but hope you enjoy them. One is a shot of one of my azaleas in a bed with grasses and carex. I really like the combination. After the azalea is finished blooming, the grasses have their wonderful colour and the bed is backed by a display of purple phlox in the summer. I've recently added some tall crocosmia (Lucifer) that will accent the background later on as well.

The second pic is a rhodo that I planted under a pine tree years ago. It's finally come into it's own the last few years and had a good display this year. The flowers are a bit faded in the picture, but they have lovely pale pink accents.

For you southern hemisphere dwellers... a touch of Spring.
azalea.jpg
Azalea and grasses
rhodo.jpg
Rhodo
FenWillow,
Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Canada

moosey
head gardener

Re: June's Garden

18 Apr '15 8:30 am
SO pretty! You see, I was talking to the buds on one of my rhododendrons just yesterday - I guess reminding it that there were a couple of seasons to go here. It's usually the odd Azalea that gets the time of year wrong. I still can't believe it's autumn here... Cheers, M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

18 Apr '15 9:04 am
Wow June that Azalea really packs a punch. What a lovely colour. I know what you mean about not showing photos of the unweeded, unmown bits! :D

fenwillow

18 Apr '15 12:30 pm
I have a Yellowhammer rhodo that blooms in the fall as well as in the spring. In fact, it bloomed so much last fall that the spring bloom this year was noticeably down. I think it used up most of it's 'flower power' in the fall! The hummingbirds loved the fall bloom... perfect timing for them since they don't return in time for the spring flowers.
FenWillow,
Canada

fenwillow

More Spring pics

21 Apr '15 11:59 am
I have some fresh pictures... now that the bed in question has been weeded and the grass is mowed. Look for my black and white cat under a hosta.
Island bed Spring 2015.jpg
Island bed in Spring
Hostas unfolding.jpg
Hostas unfolding
Sneaky cat.jpg
Sneaky cat
FenWillow,
Canada

moosey
head gardener

21 Apr '15 4:35 pm
Oh wow! My hosta foliage is just turning that old-gold colour which isn't really a colour at all. How beautifully green everything is June. Wow again, and thanks for posting these lovely pics. Happy spring gardening, Love from M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

22 Apr '15 1:58 pm
Oh June I'm a bit jealous of your lush hostas. They just don't seem to do well here. Too hot and muggy in the summer. Not enough cool, damp, shady places. They are such an elegant foliage feature, and obligingly grow lovely new fresh clean leaves each year!

fenwillow

23 Apr '15 5:32 am
Thank you Kerole and Moosey.

Taking pictures of hostas is a fine art... first they gracefully curl up out of the ground with our abundant rain. We are in a rain forest. They look beautiful with all their big leaves... then the slugs and snails come out... they're also abundant. I'm embarrassed to admit that I use a ton of slug bait (the pet safe kind) every spring trying to get seedlings to survive in the garden and hostas to keep their lovely looks. This despite the fact that I've taken great care to try and pick the most slug resistant hostas.

As the year goes on, the heavy clay soil dries out in our valley and the hostas start to look a bit sad, then very sad, then eventually they're sad and chewed. So, don't be jealous...'tis but a lovely, fleeting moment.

I've seen your pictures and your gardens are very beautiful and also look lush in the spring. That's what I love about these pages... we can enjoy spring and fall at the same time.
FenWillow,
Canada

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

24 Apr '15 3:13 am
Beautiful photos!

fenwillow

Yet more pictures

24 Apr '15 9:58 am
I promise this will be the last bunch for a while. It's pouring rain again...
Pink Peony.jpg
Pink Peony
Pink Dogwood.jpg
Pink Dogwood
Dogwood close up.jpg
Dogwood close up
King of the castle.jpg
King of the castle
FenWillow,
Canada

PreviousNext