June's Garden

fenwillow
Fraser Valley, BC, Canada

June's Garden

30 Dec '14 5:12 am
Hello everyone,

Just thought I'd send a few pics of my garden in our West Coast, Canadian winter... no snow here now, but very cold. I have a very tall Mahonia growing, in full bloom, some lovely Callicarpa berries and have also included a pic of my naked Forsythia hedge, with a very foreboding sky. Hope you enjoy the pics!
Mahonia to roof.jpg
Mahonia up to the eaves trough
Mahonia close up.jpg
Mahonia close up
Callicarpa berries.jpg
Callicarpa berries
Forsythia hedge in winer.jpg
Forsythia hedge in winter
FenWillow,
Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Canada

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

Re: June's Garden

31 Dec '14 9:28 pm
I enjoyed the pics. Surprisingly colourful. I love the Mahonia. Does it usually flower now?
Happy New Year!

fenwillow

1 Jan '15 2:36 pm
Glad you enjoyed the pictures. Yes, the Mahonia does usually flower in our winter. It's so welcome while everything else is dormant or just green.
Happy New Year to you as well... It's still over 5 hours away here.
FenWillow,
Canada

moosey
head gardener

5 Jan '15 7:50 am
I love Mahonias. They flower at the perfect time, and then produce those remarkable blue berries, when not much else is doing anything. I love them! Happy 2015, June, hope winter will be unremarkable for you. No nasty gardening surprises, I mean! Cheers, M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

fenwillow

6 Jan '15 9:58 am
Oh no, speaking of nasty gardening surprises... we had freezing rain last night and the mahonia was practically horizontal this morning! The ground has now thawed and is too wet to hold the roots down... what bizarre weather. I've propped the plant up and am hoping everything rights itself as the ground dries out.

We had a long power outage, so no heat, no water (I have an electric water pump), no light... missed the season premiere of Downton Abbey... from 7:30 pm to after 6:00 this morning. Brrr...cold in the house...
Now the temperature has jumped way up, so all the snow from yesterday, and the freezing rain, is mixing with the pouring rain and I suddenly have what appears to be lakefront property - big, big puddles. One of them is sitting right over the septic tank. It just gets better and better. :( :(

One the upside, the mahonia still seems to be standing up. I'll have to brace it a bit better in case we get gale force winds. :roll:

How long until our Canadian spring???
FenWillow,
Canada

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

8 Jan '15 7:20 pm
Oh June, that sounds horrible. I hope you have no more power outages and the poor mahonia recovers.

fenwillow

9 Jan '15 9:51 am
Thanks MacFlax. The mahonia seems to be holding up okay. The flowers, which looked quite shriveled from the freezing rain, are back to normal. Today is sunny, but with very strong, warm wind. Our weather site says 40 kmh for the wind, but it looks like a lot more in gusts. We're getting it all this winter. I'm pretty happy I tied up the mahonia though.
FenWillow,
Canada

fenwillow

Spring update

4 Mar '15 9:58 am
It's only March, so it's very early for a real Fraser Valley, BC, Canada Spring, but the plants seem to be fooled... or maybe they're right and it really is Spring! The forsythia is beautiful, the hellebores are so cheerful and the flowering quince has really benefitted from the weed control my granddaughter and I did two summers ago. The spines on the quince are amazing... and not in a good way!

I've finally got some pictures to post. Hope you enjoy them.
Flowering Quince.jpg
Flowering quince
Pink and cream hellebore.jpg
Pink and cream hellebores
Pink spotted hellebore close up.jpg
Pink spotted hellebore
Ivory hellebores.jpg
Ivory hellebores
Deep purple hellebore close up.jpg
Deep purple
White spotted hellebore close up.jpg
White spotted
FenWillow,
Canada

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

5 Mar '15 6:14 pm
Beautiful pictures of a couple of my favourites, hellebores and flowering quince. :)
I'm growing a few hellebores but I have never quite made up my mind about the quince, it's so beautiful when in bloom but it's not without its drawbacks. :?

fenwillow

6 Mar '15 5:10 am
I agree about the drawbacks. I think the more upright quince would be easier to deal with. Mine always hugged the ground until we pulled out the horrible ground cover invader, and put down landscape fabric. I also cut a couple of the branches of a nearby hornbeam. The extra light and less competition seems to have done the trick. The plant covers a circular area about eight feet in diameter. I'm so pleased with it... definitely worth the thorns this year!
FenWillow,
Canada

Next

Return to My Garden Diaries