tea root

Garden Purchases and Special Things

4 Jun '13 11:26 am
It was a good weekend for plant shopping and so Saturday I visited my local garden center to do some browsing. There's so much in bloom right now! The temperature was perfect as I checked out the herbs, cherry tomatoes, Asiatic lilies, Impatiens, Portulaca, strawberries and other stuff. What I ended up bringing home were a 'Jack O Lantern' pumpkin start and 'Sugar Baby' watermelon start. Yum. I've grown pumpkin before and even Birdhouse gourds, but this is the first year that I've tried growing watermelon and I'm sure the blooms will be lovely. The good news is that after I transplanted both starts that afternoon, it rained a while later. That rain was not only good for the starts, but also for the corn sprouts that have come up.

While out in my garden that day, I noticed something special had happened. You see, I had tried overwintering two Nasturtium plants, each a different variety. But by early to mid spring, both plants looked like they hadn't made it and so I tossed them into the compost bin. It turns out that they must have spilled into the lower left corner of the bin because I found them to be green and thriving there! I left the one Nasturtuim that I recognized as the dwarf variety where it was, but the 'Empress of India' Nasturtium was too much inside the bin still and so I removed it. It is now transplanted in the middle section of the garden not too far from the willow tree where it is less likely to be injured or lost. Another pretty plant that's a volunteer and growing against the compost bin is Malva. It's an annual which is closely related to the Hollyhock and it sports these purple and white flowers. I normally have a few that come up every year in my big garden.

Well, here in Kentucky right now, Spiderwort is in bloom and it's been filling up my flowerbed at the side of the house. I like Spiderwort and its glowing purple petals compliment the daisy-like Feverfew that has also helped itself to filling my flowerbed. Every year I'm blessed with an abundance of Feverfew and this prolific annual herb is easily controlled if so desired. And I don't want to leave out Rose Campion. This biennual with its hairy grey foliage and white blooms has made its way from the bed to the front corner of the house along with the Rudbeckia which will flower later.

My dad's Rose bushes are heavy-laden right now with blossoms of different colors while most of his Dianthus are past their peak. However, I have a potted Dianthus that I had moved from my front porch to a sunnier location and they're still in bloom. And speaking of moving things, I finally transplanted those Portulaca sprouts to a clay container outside where they soaked up some of the rain that came Saturday. They like it sunny and so I had put them in front of the greenhouse where my potted Dianthus reside.

June here is so full of life and color. In the middle of the yard I have a cherry tree with fruit that has been ripe for the picking (and eating). Near this tree is a bird bath where I saw two honey bees drinking water from it. And Sunday, while driving home from church, I spotted Chicory growing along the roadside. This herb has such pretty blue blooms and is one of my favorite things to see on a drive. And then on Sunday evening, resting on my Mexican Terragon herb at the front porch, was a firefly. These are just some of the special things that come to Kentucky this time of year. :)

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

Re: Garden Purchases and Special Things

4 Jun '13 5:34 pm
Hi, tea root!

Fireflies! Lucky you! I miss them SO much! In some ways, your climate seems much like my zone 7 here on Vancouver Island; my Spiderwort and Feverfew flowers are ready to pop open in a few days, and the roses have begun their big spring bloom. Today I counted 28 pears on my little tree. I wonder if I'll be here to pick them? Hope not! I'd rather be starting my new garden! But at least it would be a good consolation after so many years of waiting!

Cheers!

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

4 Jun '13 7:50 pm
I love to read your gardening accounts TeaRoot but I wish you'd keep all your posts under the one thread. The site is often plagued by spam these days and individual posts like these are often missed. Just something to consider 8)

tea root

6 Jun '13 12:46 pm
Hi Gordonf. :) My parents have a pear tree and it gets heavy laden with the fruit. I'm not surprised that your climate is similiar to mine since I live in a zone 6b region. :)

tea root

6 Jun '13 12:48 pm
Hello Kerole. :) Thanks for the suggestion. I'll do that. :)

Gabi
distinguished contributor
12/4/14 Bayway Village, Fern Bay, Newcastle; NSW Australia

9 Jun '13 1:24 am
I long to be 20 years younger so I could have all the lovely plants in my garden again. The veggie garden, the herbs, the roses.... putting in plants you always wanted to try and trying to figure out how to tell your husband why you are now trying to kill them all, after all that expense, when they take over the garden! LOL!

I have spent the last three years, trying to get my garden to the point where it just needs feeding, watering and pruning occasionally. Never gonna happen, I suspect!

However, I never will begrudge others their pleasure and I find great satisfaction, myself, in your gardens and your triumphs; and commiserate when you lose a treasured and cossetted new plant or a much loved leafy old friend.

I love this site and Mary's garden amd I share in her joy when each season brings out the extraordinary beauty she has created.

TeaRoot what a beautiful garden you must have. It sounds so busy and useful , as well. Can you show us some photos?

Gabi

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

10 Jun '13 3:16 am
Hi Tea Root. How interesting about the Nasturtiums. Did the compost bin create a warm little micro-climate? I'm glad you had a nice shopping trip to the nursery. I keep wanting to go to the nursery and I have to remind myself there isn't much reason to right now here in winter.

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

10 Jun '13 7:40 am
Ah yes MacFlax, I know the pull of the nusery all too well!. Planting season is only around the corner - can't wait! I'm not allowed to buy anything new until I've weeded and mulched the tow path alongside the pond. 70-odd meters of overgrown rank weeds does not leave me enthralled with the thought of getting stuck in...

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

10 Jun '13 4:57 pm
Kerole wrote: 70-odd meters of overgrown rank weeds

:shock:

Return to My Garden Diaries