tea root

Birds, Bugs and A Garden Begun

21 May '13 10:56 am
It was a few days ago, May 15th, I believe, that Dad tilled the other half of my garden. But it was Friday evening, shortly after work, that Dad's new wheelbarrow was drafted for the task of carrying sunflower starts from the greenhouse to their new home by the compost bin and Iris, and my big shovel was used for digging the holes. Next, corn was sown at the other side of the garden. The corner edge of the hoe was used for creating ridges that I dropped the kernels in and then they were covered up with dirt. I simply walked on the rows with my shoes to press the soil down on top of the corn. And I want to say that it was quite a bit of corn that was sown and several rows were made to make room for all the kernels. It should be an abundant crop! I can envision in my mind now the moon hanging above my corn stalks come autumn. :)

After the corn was planted, I sprinkled some mammoth Dill seeds in an open space back at the other side of the garden where I hadn't transplanted any sunflowers. Then sort of in the middle by the corn, I transplanted the Nasturtium and Cilantro starts. And good news, I discovered a total of three volunteer Borage sprouts in the corner of my garden by the Dogwood tree which is opposite of the corner by the compost bin. This is exactly where I want to have Borage come up. I hoed one up by mistake, though, so now there's two. :p Borage is a favorite herb of mine. The pale green hairy foliage is visually interesting and the plant produces mostly blue, although occasionally pink, small starry blooms that the honey bees like. It does well in a container, too.

Another discovery at the garden is a Tickseed Coreopsis that Dad planted because he and my mother had some excess that they wanted to get rid of. Well, it's welcome here, and he put it in a good spot. At the edge of my garden close to the willow tree is a post that hangs a hose hookup. My butterfly house and bee house are both nailed to that post courtesy of Dad. And he planted the T Coreopsis close to that post, and so the yellow flowers that the plant will produce come summer will compliment the bug houses. A nice little surprise was waiting for me almost beneath the T Coreopsis. It appeared to be a weed at first, but then I recognized that it might be something I want. It turns out that it's an Echinacea! And who wouldn't want one of those? When this medicinal herb produces its purple daisy-like blooms, it will also look good by the bug houses. By the way, I want to mention that I still have that wren house at the opposite edge of the garden facing the willow tree, but it seems empty of birds right now. Hopefully they'll come. And speaking of birds, I've seen baby Blue Jays learning to fly. Mama Bird wasn't happy that Dad and I were so close to her one offspring that she was watching over.

Well, the fireflies are back. A couple of them got into my hair yesterday evening, but they're not lighting their tails yet since it's too early. And I also saw a June bug flying about at my front porch hitting its hard shell against the bedford stone wall as they tend to do. I like when those things appear and they're an interesting reminder to me of warm summer evenings. Now last thing I want to mention is that I picked out a plant over the weekend. It's Mexican Terragon, a lovely herb grown as an annual here in Kentucky and which produces pretty orange-yellow blooms. This plant likes part sun and has been added to the partially shaded front porch area beneath the porch light where it will be enjoyed along with the other warm weather pleasures this gardening season. :)

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

Re: Birds, Bugs and A Garden Begun

22 May '13 11:54 am
Hi, Tea Root! It's great to hear that your garden is on its way (I love the image of the August moon hanging over the cornstalks!) and to think about the fireflies. They are one insect that I miss from the East - while they are found in the Interior valleys of B.C., the evenings here on the Coast are too cool for them to flash, so we never see them! BTW, another insect I miss from boyhood are the cicadas, which are beginning their once-in-17-year cycle in the air, but we also don't seem to have them here in the west. Do you? They sure are loud!!
Cheers!
gordonf

tea root

23 May '13 11:41 am
Hi, Gordonf. :) Yes, we do have cicadas every year and it won't be too long until they're here. Do you get katydids? They make their mating sounds during summer nights.

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

23 May '13 5:57 pm
I'm not familiar with katydids; never heard of them here. I'll have to look them up and see if they even live in Canada!

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

27 May '13 3:04 am
Hi Tea Root and Gordon. We have katydids in Australia. I didn't think we have fireflies in Australia, in fact I wasn't sure what they are exactly so I googled. It turns out they are beetles rather than flies. And we do have them here, though not around where I live. I know there are glowworms in some places in Australia, the glowworm glens are tourist attractions.

mariasam

18 Sep '13 11:38 pm
Hi Does anyone know where i can the pattern for the knitted Barbecue cover, it would look great with my knitted chef clown which i am doing for an exhibition in the uk ;)

pumpkin
compost executive
Dairy Flat, New Zealand

6 Oct '13 7:45 am
Hi tea root, your garden sounds lovely. We have katydids here in New Zealand too. Never heard of us having fireflies although I would love to see them :)

Love the idea of the moon over the cornstalks too, did you get to see it? Hope you got a photo if you did :wink:

Return to My Garden Diaries