Gabi
distinguished contributor
12/4/14 Bayway Village, Fern Bay, Newcastle; NSW Australia

Re: Gabi's garden in Lake Macquarie NSW

3 Jul '13 2:50 pm
Sun! Yay! For a week, at least! Still can't really garden, but checking up on what's popping through the soil, I found that the Crystal Palace Lobelia is sprouting all over the place. All the roses balled up and dropped off! I think the climbers will lose all their leaves this winter, they don't, usually. I will give them a spray with Triforine and if they do all drop I will spray with lime sulphur; but, it burns the new leaves so timing is all!

Buster did very well at the vet's. Sat like a lamb in his carrier while the vet gave him Vaccination, eye drop and poked a worm pill down his throat, with the applicator that Dinah choked on at her visit the other week! I covered his carrier in the car which seemed to keep him calmer. He didn't pee in it, like the last 2 times!
That reminds me! I have to give him his next drop in the eye; Ever seen a cat wearing a Teeshirt, head through the sleeve? It's the only way I can get pills, drops or swabs into action round his head!

Had Xray, seeing Chiro on Friday!

Back soon, doing very overdue laundry, beds to be stripped, ditto.

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

4 Jul '13 8:18 am
Glad to hear that Buster did so well! I can imagine him in the sweater!

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

5 Jul '13 2:29 am
Well done Buster! :)

Gabi

Re: Front Garden; Rose garden; whingeing etc.

21 Aug '13 1:06 am
I am so slow with the garden. I can do a couple of hours and then I have to tidy and put away, as if I keep working, I won't be able to clean up without help. Trev is still nearly as bad as I am! Still, I'm getting there.

I did some work on the garden up against the front wall of the house. Today was my 3rd instalment on the Fijian Fire Plants. I have 4 there and I was going to dig one out, but neither of us can do it! LOL! I will say they are good value, nothing much seems to bother them and if you don't want to prune them into shape, you don't have to! I am cutting them back severely, this time and will be tip pruning as they grow through the Summer. I have 2 of a red variety which really doesn't need any, as they grow to shape nicely. the other two - a light green & gold and a dark green with red edges grow really long branches and get much too leggy.
Gabi's Garden November 2010 008_opt.jpg
Planted the Fire plants in October, this is 29/12/10

However, they are just the thing to strongly contrast with my Mountain Blue painted house. The eaves, two feet wide, are painted bright orange. The lady who sold us the house was decorating it when her husband was transferred interstate. Trevor painted over the Chocolate brown feature wall in the main bedroom (shudder!)
005_opt.jpg
Here they are the following March 2011, which is the start of Fall for us. They look their best in Autumn and hold their leaves 'till Spring. Remembering we don't get snow or frost!

I planted all the frangipani branches she had acquired. Eventually pulled out the gardens she had planted. Hibiscus and lantern bushes all been chewed to green lace by hibicus beetles. 12 Photinias planted in a foot wide garden right up against an 18" wide cement path. I replanted then at the edge of the lawn above the terrace to stop my 3 Y.O. grandaughtes from throwing themselves off it.
What she also acquired was a load of free filling for the back lawn which must have entirely consisted of oxalis and onion weed corms! I will never ever get rid of them, short of having the entire lawn dug up, sterilized and re-turfed!

However:- As they have been overshadowing my 3 favorite roses I am going to put the roses in Pots until I can get the old Compost heap cut down for them. Thats up the back yard behind the clothesline.
Trev built it out of the new 'safe' type of treated pine and the termites got all the lift-out gates! Can't cope with compost any more, too crackety!... I will line it with weedmat!

'night all
Gabi

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

21 Aug '13 5:16 pm
Hi, Gabi! It sounds as if you have quite the adventure ahead of you, but you've done a lot already. While it sounds wonderful to me, here in the "north" to garden where there is no snow or frost, I can see that it all comes with new and, to me, unknown problems. Pity the first pioneers there who had nobody to warn them of what to look out for! I am so envious of the (I think) agapanthuses(?) in your flower bed! I have a few babies in a big pot and now that autumn is nearly upon me, I'm wondering whether or not they'll overwinter that way or whether I need to plant them in the ground in the coldframe for the winter. Of course, who knows when or if I'll need to move . . . I really don't know WHAT to do!!

Keep posting - the pics DO tell a story!!

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

22 Aug '13 12:34 am
I love the blue colour, such a great contrast with the plantings.

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

23 Aug '13 7:41 am
I must say I rather like the blue house too! Looks very beachy and tranquil. Not too sure about the bright orange underside though :D

It sounds like you've been pretty busy moving things around etc. Did your frangipani branches take?

Gabi

6 Sep '13 12:18 am
Well! It's been that sort of week!

70 year old Trev got carted off to Belmont Hospital on Saturday night with what turned out to be acute Gastroenteritis! He had the shivers, the shakes. the hot flushes, couldn't breathe properly, was freezing cold and when he said I should call the ambulance, I took notice this time!

His first heart attack was on a Saturday morning after the firm's Christmas party, he was 46 at the time. He said he was having chest pains and I thought he was trying to get sympathy and avoid discussions about arriving home at 6.00 am. He'd been having a lot of indigestion recently. He wanted me to call the Ambulance and I said don't be stupid and strolled down the road to the local shop to get cigarettes. When I got back 20 minutes later he was in a right state! So, sighing and eye-rolling I did what he asked.

The Ambo's arrived, and promptly confirmed his self-diagnosis. He had three lots of Morphine before the pain eased! Ooops! I will point out that the head of the Heart ward brought all his interns and wanted to know if it was all right to report Trevor's Blood Alcohol Level to the medical journal. The highest they'd ever seen! The "Indigestion" had been heart pains

Anyway, this time no heart trouble, but he got a nice dose of cellulitis in both shins and one swelled up a lot. Being a diabetic didn't help. They changed his antibiotics today and it has started to work already. He will go home probably on Monday with an implanted cannula which will be topped up on a regular basis with more of the Antibiotic by the local nurse. Now he's feeling better, he's giving orders again. I hung up! Jeez!

Here is the Spiraea (maybush) Day four of Official Spring. And I did Plant those Frangipani cuttings, they are the two largeish trees behind the Arbour still bare and they won't start to leaf out 'til the end of October.
Day 4 spring 2013 001_opt(1).jpg
Only a few new roses on the Rose Pergola, the next flush should be better. I did give it 3 cutbacks this last Summer and Fall. Mme Leonie grows like a weed, as kerole will attest. I don't think she likes high places to climb. I may end up letting her grow along the back fence, I don't know!

On the bench is Jinkie and Dinah lying on the ground. The Photinia hedge has gotten away, again.

Day 4 spring 2013 003_opt(1).jpg
Pots doing nicely. I have a black and white cape daisy surrounded by a burgundy climbing geranium. A Cuphea with some yellow Freesias and a Stella D'oro mini Day Lily

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

6 Sep '13 7:34 am
Oh poor Trev! I find sick ones make great listening posts for lengthy gardening discourse. They're a captive audience. :D

Are the Frangipanis the usual pale yellow ones? With the divine smell of the tropics? They certainly seem to love your place. Fancy being able to bung a few cuttings in and away they go. I am tempted to try a Frangipani here, but we are on the outskirts of their happy zone. One of our rare but mean frosts would finish it off I think.

That spiraea is gorgeous! Gracious me, it couldn't fit another bloom on it. I love the weepy nature. It looks a lot like a white banksia rose but better behaved and much earlier flowering. Does it have scent?

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

6 Sep '13 10:04 am
Gabi, my sympathies go out to both you and to Trev! To him for pain and suffering, and to you for possible feelings of guilt! It's so easy to mistake ailments like that for something more benign! And don't forget that the symptoms of a heart attack in women are completely different from those in men!

Kerole, have you thought of growing a frangipani in a pot? Then you could bring it under cover for a short while if the weather got too cold for it. I've seen a frangipani only once, at the home of my brother-in-law in California. He brought his home from Hawaii as a cutting. Wonderful perfume!!!

PreviousNext

Return to My Garden Diaries