Gabi
distinguished contributor
12/4/14 Bayway Village, Fern Bay, Newcastle; NSW Australia

Re: Gabi's garden in Lake Macquarie NSW

16 Apr '13 3:04 pm
It's slowly getting there. Yesterday I left the blasted hose on the bed with one of the lavenders I was just about to mulch with river pebbles, and flooded it! Bugger!
As usual I am trying to do everything at once!, which is why the above accidents keep happening, I went and did something else while the garden got some water, got called in for lunch and forgot about it! Now, today, its raining!

Do you get a nasty little grub with black stripes on it? It has managed to damage all my Eucharist Lily flowers except one bloom! and I only had one spike! It had also gotten into a set of bulbs my friend Ruth gave me in a pot, which I lost amongst all the herbiage and when I replanted it I could not find the label. I have no recollection at all of what it is? I hope to find out in Spring if these rotters haven't got into the bases. I have sprayed again with Freedom, yesterday. Now with the rain, I will have to repeat it.

fa0dfafa-f6ee-41d9-a986-8f884dd9bd22_zpsd7908afc.jpg
Eucharist Lily - One only top view, I though that big bud was OK but I didn't look underneath it - not!
c1ff275d-695b-452a-b882-967a44936497_zps08beae8f.jpg
Bottom view of the One and Only!

I have had some amaryllis(or the other one, what's it's name?) in soil in my old 2 wheeled trundle-barrow and I tipped it out as the grubs had got to those too. it will go in the shady end of the rose garden, but they get plenty of morning sun. This is what it was, early last September:-

41a07963-0d62-4014-b4ae-c54eb40d7657_zps3dbbfd7c.jpg
About 6 bulbs in there. My late neighbor shared out his garden before he passed away and I was given these.

By next month it was all out:-

86fc4be8-5c2f-4e39-97bc-6443007627bb_zpse18a1a0a(1).jpg
1st october '12. Really nice orange/rust/ terracotta colour, goes very well with the orange trundle handles.

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

19 Apr '13 1:52 am
Love those lilies. I hope you can solve the bug problem soon. I know what you mean about doing everything at once.

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

20 Apr '13 7:53 am
I rather like the wheel barrow planter! Very sensible and practical. Lovely colour on those lilies.

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

20 Apr '13 6:42 pm
Hi, Gabi, and welcome from Vancouver Island! Sorry I didn't see your posts sooner but I haven't been getting my usual reminders and just got around to spending an evening looking through everyones' posts. Lovely cats you have! I just have a rather old dog - an Australian Cattle Dog named Joey - who has lost much of the use of his hind legs but still keeps his spirits up. I think I'll take him to a vet who does chiropractics on dogs as a massage therapist friend of mine told me that he walks as if he has put his hind quarters out of joint somehow (probably from a fall) and a realignment might help him.

It's still early spring here and we have had a lot of rain, but take a look at my garden diary and you'll see some new pics of my garden.

-gordonf

Gabi

4 Jun '13 3:00 pm
I'm so sorry I haven't been here as much as I'd like to - Now it's really Winter and boy, it's cold today!

Cats looking for places to nest.
002_opt.jpg
You woke me up!

This is Jink's carrier, which lives under the coffee table next to the computer
001_opt(3).jpg
They're not spoiled, no way!

Dinah's usual place, summer or winter - my bed!
Miss Dinah 004_opt.jpg
Guarding my bed, big of her, isn't it? I get nipped for stroking her when she's asleep on her $70 St.Albans Mohair lap rug!

The wooden steps across the patio, while roastingly hot in summer, are wonderfully warm now. Buster likes the heat but not the sun in his eyes, his eyes aren't too good and easily get irritated. However, he invariably has the wrong end in the sun! Dinah doesn't trust him and won't stay there if he gets too close.
Buster basking in the warm 001_opt.jpg
The wood is warm, but no sun in his eyes.

I finally got the beds on the street frontage weeded. I was nearly going to use tweezers! Tiny tufts of wintergrass all over them, plus others that had seed leaves very like the ones of the violets I was trying to encourage. I also found that the Crystal Palace Lobelia had reseeded itself and the leaves were nearly invisible! For every tuft of winter grass I pulled out, I had half a dozen violet or Lobelia to replant!
001_opt(1).jpg
Garden in 2010, chocka with violet seedlings and Lobelia

I have bought seeds of fill-in annuals that will usually reseed themselves and have been saving egg cartons to plant them. Alyssum, a good one, I hope. More Lobelia, Impatiens for the shady areas, mixed Verbena, Candytuft and Baby Blue Eyes. I have had Snow-in-Summer in the ground for a couple of years now, but it doesn't like the humidity and starts to look straggly very quickly as well, I am always too chicken to cut them back and spray! But not this year, I have put too much effort in to let it get away from me this time. I think I already said all this somewhere else!
Gardens front and back 006_opt.jpg
The front garden after we had to cut the middle out, it would catch the rain and flood.

Front garden sept 2011 002_opt.jpg
Front view of the cutout, with the garden overflowing with everything.

The Freesia leaves are well up, I had to thin them out as well and gave a load away. They will all end up pale yellow as the white ones I bought, years ago, had a couple of yellow in them and now I have hardly any white left! I will get some more white - some day!

"White Ensign" rose is coming good after the transplant (2 buds!), as is the Fairy Statice, but slowly. A lot of brown leaves on FS but also many green, so I think she will survive. Its the second time I have dug her up; really, all you can do it Cut It Back! I need to engrave that on my forehead!

The old French Lavender in the other bed has been cut back again, as one branch must have had some sort of borer and just died suddenly. The rest of it is thriving. The seedling in the previous bed needs some of the foliage cut away up from the base as it keeps yellowing. I am not watering it, now, it's all the rain!
Strong little buggers, it takes a lot to kill them. No other Lavender survives on the coast, here.

I had the long stemmed one with the Dog-bane scented leaves called "Sidonie" which is so pretty and airy, but the humidity kills it eventually. (Why does no-one ever mention that "Sidonie" stinks?) I keep buying it, for the little black and white striped native bees - they sleep on it! One by one they make themselves comfy until yet another one wants to get on the same stalk and a lot of shuffling and mumbling goes on, so funny! I really need to plant it near the brick base of the front wall of the house as it retains the heat at night and the bees seem to look for that.
Blue-Banded-Bee1_opt.jpg
Getting Ready for bed

My front Garden 010_opt.jpg
Where I had some of the Sidonie, a few years ago, you can see the foliage going off. Also Snow-in-Summer underneath on the left and Shasta daisy shoots coming up on the right.

I'll get some pics up a bit later, I need to organise them. All done. The photos of the garden are over a range of about 5 years.

Gabi
Last edited by Gabi on 5 Jun '13 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

4 Jun '13 5:26 pm
Hi, Gabi! I just logged on and there was your collection of posts that I hadn't seen before! Great! Love the comments about the cats, and, you're right - a garden DOES need a cat or two (as well as a dog, of course) to lounge around in it!

It seems so strange to my ears to hear of spireas blooming in September, as of course, here they all flower in May or June! Loved the fountain-shaped one, but the "Italian wind-blown" one has character, too!

Sizing pics does take time, so I do that on one day and post them a day or so later. That way my hands don't become tired and achy. I'm looking forward to seeing more pics of your garden reno!

Cheers,
gordonf

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

9 Jun '13 9:24 am
Oh Gabi I've only just stumbled upon your post! Lovely pics - I especially like the sleeping bee! I've never noticed that Sidonie stinks! I've grown it many times in the past but it never lasts more than a couple of seasons. Next time I see one I'll have to give it a sniff.

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

10 Jun '13 3:10 am
Yes, that sleeping bee is beeyootiful! And I love your cats. :)

Gabi

2 Jul '13 3:13 pm
Thanks Mac, I thought the bees were so cute, myself. They were just wonderful to watch, when they were trying to settle for the night and another one wanted to get on!

We have just transferred our phone and computer to Optus and O M G! We are both just exhausted. I have to say, Mary, that yours isn't the only one that is a bit hard to fix. I changed my address with PayPal, and I must have misspelled the password, but I don't know how, so, now I can't get back in to confirm it. I was trying to link it with E-Bay.

Buster is going back to the vet this afternoon. I have been treating his eye as it is prone to running and he has ointment and drops to soothe it. He has always been difficult to medicate and eydrops make him frantic to escape....! I finally got a good look at the trouble spot and it's a little brown patch on the white of his eye - ulcer, I think! He is terrified of going to the vet, poor thing! I have finally coaxed him back onto my bed and we had a very comfy night , last night. He purred, which he doesn't do much, and now I will be the traitor who takes him to the Vet! It will be all to do over before he'll trust me again!

I will have to chop down the spider lilies as the Lily grubs have ruined them. They are just rotting now! I can get some more seeds from Dobell House, I think. But I am no longer sure Ii want to, anymore! It had rained almost solidly for 10 days!

What a list of Misery! That will do for today! I will go and do some painting! and forget about problems, so there!

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

2 Jul '13 9:53 pm
Poor Buster, I hope he's better soon!

PreviousNext

Return to My Garden Diaries