Gabi
distinguished contributor
12/4/14 Bayway Village, Fern Bay, Newcastle; NSW Australia

Gabi's garden in Lake Macquarie NSW

30 Mar '13 2:42 am
'Borris' under Maybush_opt(1).jpg
Glorious Boris
I finally figured how to use the photo thing, you use the 'Upload Attachment' button below, left. I have lost this post 3 times so far.

I will content myself with showing a pic of the glorious Boris (White and Black Smoke) making full use of the appurtenances in my garden to make himself irresistable to the beautiful Jinki (calico). She quite liked him, too, until one day Dinah (Tortoiseshell)was making a pest of herself and Jink gave her a slap on the chops. Boris roared to life and gave Jink a hiding for touching his little pal and the romance was over...sigh! Pity, a garden needs a few cats posing in it to complete the ambience, dontcha think? I should add that we lost Boris in August 2011. Dropped in front of us, stone dead, vet couldn't say why. Trev cried, that cat just loved him to bits, we both did!

Buster is the new man and while he is happy to be here, he isn't the lapcat that Boris was, and it was Trev's lap he preferred, too; thank all the gods, he was enormous!

Back with the garden stuff later.
Sleep tight
Gabi
004_opt.jpg
Goddess Jinki
011_opt.jpg
Dinah, the baby, although she is older than Buster
Last edited by Gabi on 31 Mar '13 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gabi

Re: Gabi's garden in Lake Macquarie NSW

30 Mar '13 5:22 pm
005_opt.jpg
This one is under a Frangipani and I had a lot of trouble with spiders and oddly placed branches; however I finally gave it a good seeing to about 3 months ago. I will give them both the finishing touches just before Winter
I have had many conversations with some of you, usually about my habit of taking an identification problem and running with it! I am such a busybody - sticking my bib in everyone's business.

My garden and my painting are my loves in life and I will sit at the computer 'till all hours looking for just the right photos, for a subject I plan on either painting or planting - or both!

Some things you happen on or discover become your hobbies and there is no going back. I can't keep to a sensible progression of information offered, I am constantly am inserting myself into the middle of something else entirely to say "hey! I forgot to show you this when I was doing the ...." You'll just have to bear with me.

I am in the process of resizing photos to fit into the posts here. It is taking a considerable time but I will post slowly, little gems, as it were, a bit at a time.

In 2009 I brought a couple of Double Spiraea, which weren't flourishing, back from Dobell House and planted them in the terrace garden at the back of my house, one at each end. I am very fond of them and was fairly convinced that I wanted them to be able to fountain out, when flowering. I did it! In the Autumn of 2010 I trimmed them both , but only one was what I considered good-looking; the other had branches in all the wrong places and I was too chicken to Bite the Bullet and Just Do It! Look at September's display from the good one:-
001_opt.jpg
The one I trimmed and came out looking like a bouquet!

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

1 Apr '13 12:49 am
Love the kitties. I'm sorry you lost Boris. :(
I love the blue colour you have used in your garden, it is such a great colour to go with greenery, and with the gorgeous white flowers, beautiful combination.

Gabi

1 Apr '13 4:24 pm
Thanks mac! I am slowly re-doing the garden and will show you the progression as I, um, progress? I had let it all get away from me and kept putting off the evil day as I constantly do, with my painting as well!

You're a pal!
Gabi

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

3 Apr '13 7:16 am
Yay, a new thread to keep my gardening mind nimble!

So pleased you are posting about your overhaul. I love a good progressive pictorial.

I agree, the weepy spirea is perfect, but I love the mad wild hair-do look of the other one too. When do they flower for you?

Gabi

4 Apr '13 10:34 pm
The Spiraea flower in early September, or sometimes late August if the winter has been cold, as do my Freesias.
It must be mating season for cats as there is a full on stoush going on down the street and Buster is getting very agitated. I got him inside, however. All my cats are always missing their itty bits. No kittens here, no sir! Jinki is still out there. She is a born lady, no question, she and Dinah are good at holding coats while the boys get into it, but none of that other messy stuff, no way. I don't know if the cat that had his way with both of them a couple years ago, in spite of their lack of the wherewithal, is still around, but I hope not. He bit them both in a place that I shan't mention but would make you cross your legs anyway! ouch!

Gabi

4 Apr '13 11:19 pm
I finally found a decent Photo of Buster, sitting on the kitchen table, one of the first things he learned!
Buster Boy 002_opt(1).jpg
He looks quite good, but this is an early photo of him.

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

6 Apr '13 8:33 am
Your cats sound like an interesting lot! :) Bitten on their privates?!! :shock: Nasty!

Now, how's your garden project coming along?

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

9 Apr '13 2:39 am
Lovely pic of Buster.

Gabi

16 Apr '13 1:59 pm
Thanks, Mac. He was such a beautiful cat, I cannot understand some people. He knew what toys were, he was house trained, he had the most beautiful coat, the black part was what is called Black Frost, which means the part next to his skin was white! He missed love and company so much, and yet he was so afraid of us and it took 2 years and him nearly dying before he let me pick him up. He was dumped, probably in the Primary School up the street, my neighbors told me it was a regular occurrence. He was a fierce fighter and no stray tom was allowed to back out, they way they usually do.

Buster is a very different kettle of fish, he is very disturbed by the sound of fighting and has no intention of getting into it. He never seems really well, I worry about him, but there will be no more stray toms after him. The girls don't like being bossed about and Dinah is losing/has lost the fur on her belly. This is stress I am told.

Next

Return to My Garden Diaries