Gabi
distinguished contributor
12/4/14 Bayway Village, Fern Bay, Newcastle; NSW Australia

Re: Gabi's garden in Lake Macquarie NSW

4 Dec '13 6:43 pm
gordonf wrote:Glad Trev's back home. Sorry to hear about the sciatica (I really don't know what it is, except that it hurts like h***!), but I also, don't have any magical formula for relief.

As for getting a frangipani - I'm still looking for Kangaroo Paw seeds!

Well Gordon - so much for what I know about Australian plants! Not much it seems!

Here is a link to the Kangaroo Paw page of the Australian National Botanic Gardens:-

http://www.anbg.gov.au/anigozanthos/

You CAN buy them in the USA and they DO grow from seed! However! (dread word), they need hot and dry conditions - in cool and moist areas, a lot of them will come down with "Ink disease"- black blotches on the leaves and will die, usually, but not always. A lot of varieties are prone to the disease, but also a lot have been bred to not be prone to it. One thing they must not have is Phosphorus in their fertilizer. Australia and South African plants are used to low Phosphorus, and will react badly if you give them any - i.e. die! Anigozanthus is the first word in its name, there are others as well.

So there you are! I will be back with what I can find out about sellers over your way. BTW I forgot what state you live in?

Here is a place in Ventura CA: http://www.australianplants.com/shop.aspx
6144172712_fe1c8232f1_o Jill Harrison_Kangaroo Paw 2.jpg
Look up Jill Harrison online wonderful aussie Photographer
6143622781_4c7ac225a4_o Jill Harrison_ Kangaroo Paw 3.jpg
see comment on first picture

6143622349_d6271d7eaf_o Jill Harrison_Kangaroo Paw.jpg
see comment on first picture

Gabi

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

8 Dec '13 1:03 am
Well done Gabi!
I really should have found out about kangaroo paws for Gordon when he mentioned it years ago. :oops:
I've heard of using smoke artificially to aid germination and I found this info. http://asgap.org.au/APOL2/jun96-6.html

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

8 Dec '13 5:47 am
Many thanks to both of you, MacFlax and Gabi! I've saved your links to go through later in detail. Who knows - maybe I could use my food smoker to stimulate the seeds, once I find some! I'm nothing if not persistent! :) I know that, especially in my current garden, moisture would be a problem and the plant(s) would need to spend most of the year indoors, but with hot, dry spells lengthening each summer (from the usual 6 weeks to 2 months or more), they should be all right on the roof garden or the front window box. I just want to be able to say, "I tried!"

Gabi

8 Dec '13 12:35 pm
My Stephanotis
definitely
looks as though she will survive; about 90% of the yellowed leaves have fallen and if I am near it today I will pull the others off. What makes me hopeful, is that the smaller young green leaves have filled out again (they folded up) and the one spray of buds I left on the shady side has opened. I left the big seed pod on the vine, I don't think it's doing anything except dry out, but it's being awfully slow, I swear its been there for 2 years!
Anna Oliver and friends 012_opt.jpg
bit blurry, but you can see it!
Anna Oliver and friends 011_opt.jpg
You can see the bare vine on the blue slat divider, only the pod and a few clumps of leaves left.

Gabi

8 Dec '13 12:48 pm
I will now re-post the pictures of Anna Oliver in full bloom that I previewed and obviously forgot to submit before I closed the page - unless I have managed to put it on someone else's blog?

Well, this rose is such a good do-er. Just look at her first good bloom! All the others since Spring started (and now its Summer) have been ruined by either hot days, windy days or rainy days - and some days, all three!
Anna Oliver and friends 001_opt.jpg
Good No?
Anna Oliver and friends 002_opt.jpg
She knows how to present herself!
Anna Oliver and friends 010_opt.jpg
She is under the awning for the hot part of the day and will hold her shape and color well.
Anna Oliver and friends 007_opt.jpg
Poor 'Just Joey', she's up the sunny end and normally copes well, but the wind got her opening three blooms and scorched all of them!

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

9 Dec '13 6:30 am
Gosh that pink rose looks superb against the aggies and the slate blue of the house. A very pretty combination indeed. Just Joey is a tough old thing, it'll bounce back :)

pumpkin
compost executive
Dairy Flat, New Zealand

9 Dec '13 7:25 am
Anna is a dream! Great use of colour there Gabi. :D

Glad to see your stephanotis is on the mend.

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

24 Dec '13 4:00 pm
I agree, lovely colours.

Previous

Return to My Garden Diaries