Oh how they grow!

SusanB
honoured contributor

Re: Oh how they grow!

6 Jul '11 10:48 pm
Good morning all. I am officially 'back in action' again! I brought home all the goodies and have been hard at work outside... with a little "day off" from it yesterday because I had to paint the bathroom. (Hubby found pain splotches in my ARMPIT, of all places, this morning, ACK!!) Haahahahaaa!! Well, that's what ya get when you have a short person painting a ceiling. :lol:

Anyway, on with the show. Pictured below, we've got the 'babies' that I brought home, and the "before" and "during" pics of the planned areas. I've only cleared out one area so far, for the 'expanded bed'... it was just too darned hot and humid to go on any longer.
resized 7.4.2011 revamping flower beds 002.jpg
Shady side of house "before", gets about 1 hour late morning sun. This is gonna get the Plumbago and Aegopodium 'Variegatum' are going to go. Yes, I've heard Aegopodium is invasive, but I've also heard and read that it's less so in more shaded areas, so we shall see. You can see the Honeysuckle in the whiskey barrel at the corner there, in front.
resized 7.4.2011 revamping flower beds 003.jpg
A side "before" view of the front bed that's getting expanded.
resized 7.4.2011 revamping flower beds 004.jpg
Front "before" view of most of the bed getting expanded. I sure hope those Otto Luykens perk up next year!
resized 7.4.2011 revamping flower beds 010.jpg
"During"; the bed is all dug out and shaped now, ready for amendment and plants... and landscape fabric and mulch, and a little white picket fence! :)
resized 7.4.2011 revamping flower beds 015.jpg
A couple balloon flowers that will be fitting in there... have to look at my drawing again to remember just where. ;)
resized 7.4.2011 revamping flower beds 017.jpg
The 4 Verbena that will go in there, and 4 Plumbago that will go at the side. I'd pruned the Verbena back before I brought them home; makes 'em a bit easier to work with.

That's where we are thus far, and now it's time for me to get back out there and prepare some "after" pics for you!
There can be no other occupation like gardening
in which, if you were to creep up behind
someone at their work, you would find them smiling.
~ Mirabel Osler

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

7 Jul '11 4:40 pm
I must admit, enlargening the front beds will do wonders for the front of house visuals. You have a lovely home - so crisp and tidy.

Looking forward to more pics - once the weather permits more work!

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

7 Jul '11 5:55 pm
Isn't it fun to build a new flowerbed?? I remember when I just had my beds outlined with garden hose so I could get the curves the way I wanted them!

And you have the same kind of balloon flower that I do; however, yours is much more advanced than mine is - mine doesn't even have buds yet. But then, we've had a very cold spring and everything has been delayed.

I also like your house. Of course, to a collector like me, it'll look much better still once you get more plants around it! :) Keep up the good work!

I, too, was painting ceilings today. My partner did most of the painting, though, while I was doing other things. I just did a few touchups and all of the cleanup after and taping before the job started. In the garden, all I did today was to weed most of the gravel parts of the driveway and parking area, and mount a driftwood post to where I want it at the entrance to the Patio Garden so that when the carpenter arrives he'll know how I want it even if I'm not here.

Tomorrow I hope to finish weeding that driveway and move a couple of rather large plants, as well as to touch up a few more spots on the walls that I slopped on when I painted last year around this time (yeah, I know - sometimes it takes me a long time to finish a job :oops: )!

So, that's it from here for tonight!

Cheers!

gordonf

SusanB
honoured contributor

7 Jul '11 10:18 pm
Thank you Kerole... but "crisp and tidy" are what I'm trying to get away from! :lol: Need more plants!! :mrgreen: Heehee, actually, I just need to give it time for these babies to get established and take off, that'll take the crisp edge off things very nicely.

Oh, I said "these babies"... that must mean I'm done. Well, wouldn't ya know, I am! Drumroll please....
resized 7.6.2011 revamp bed1 done 004.jpg
Ok, *nearly* done.. I ran short of mulch for around the outside of the fence.. but still, TAH DAH!! I'd forgotten that the 'fencing' is Adirondack, not 'picket'. Still a nice cute look, huh? I'm very happy!!
resized 7.6.2011 revamp bed1 done 006.jpg
A view from the driveway, so you can see the planter with the petunias. Don't worry, I put the hose back where it belongs last night! ;)
resized 7.6.2011 revamp bed1 done 008.jpg
An interesting rock I found in the tree-line; thought it would give things a bit of character. Ya can't really tell here, but it's got some nice grey marbling/mottling to match the new tile flooring. Heehee
resized 7.6.2011 revamp bed1 done 010.jpg
My little Pittsburgh Steelers gnome minding the balloon flower and some Lantana seedlings that are coming up. At least, I think they're Lantana.. I'll give 'em some time to be sure. Ms. Gnome needs a gname. ;)
resized 7.6.2011 revamp bed1 done 009.jpg
That's Dave. He's there to scare away baddies from the Sedum and Jerusalem Cherry.
resized 7.6.2011 revamp bed1 done 011.jpg
View from the front porch. I don't think you can see it, (need 1 more pic), but in front of the barrel I also placed 1 little ground-cover sedum. It's a "steppable", the stuff you can walk on. It's installed rather flush to the ground, as directed, so it will be rather difficult to see well until it gets established.

So there we have it, all done... for now. ;) My next couple-day-off stretch will be spent creating a new bed for that side wall. Meanwhile, I've still got those pots that will need to be filled with my annuals... something to do with my spare time... like when Hubby and I are done intalling the new stuff in the bathroom this weekend.... but first shopping for it. #-o

Thank you all for allowing me to share!

P.S. Oh! I just realized that you can see the sedum steppable in the close-up pic of the rock, Yay!
~ Mirabel Osler

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

9 Jul '11 9:09 am
It certainly looks better with a nice fat garden bed in front. Well done you!

A quick way to fill in the holes until your desirables grow bigger is to throw a few handfuls of seeds around. Hardyish, free seeding annuals and perennials will do all the hard work for you and cost considerably less too.

SusanB
honoured contributor

22 Jul '11 10:26 pm
Thank you thank you! :D
I'd actually considered tossing some of my Columbine seeds around in there (seeds that I harvested at work while doing some "deadheading with a purpose"), but then I thought it a bad idea, might end up being over-crowded. I don't think I have any left-over annual seeds, so I'll just be patient and wait for it all to fill in. I am a patient person. [-o< That is one thing (of many) that I like about working where I do; not only do I get a nice discount on stuff, and lots of freebies, but I get to "deadhead with a purpose", meaning, I take a brown paper bag out with me (or 3 or 4, :wink: ), and collect what I want! =) Working for some of my freebies makes it feel a bit more justified. heehee

There's been nothing going on around here garden-wise because it's tooooo darned hot! With the heat index, it's been well over 100 degrees (F), with humidity in the 70-80% range, Ugh! Hubby walked out the door at 5:00 this morning and his glasses INSTANTLY fogged up! :shock: #-o Boss Lady even gave me an additional day off (yesterday) because she said it's been so darned hot that the store is not busy at all. :( So, I took that opportunity and ran with it... all through the house with a paint brush in my hand! Now all the doors are DONE and ready for their new hardware. Brushed nickel "lever" type handles and matching brushed nickel hinges. It sure felt nice to be able to FINALLY put ALL that painting miscellany away once and for all! =D> (I hope! [-o< )

Well, off to get ready for an "exciting" day at work. Good thing I downloaded "Anna Karenina" on my e-book this morning! :D Have a wonderful day all!
~ Mirabel Osler

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

23 Jul '11 5:33 pm
I called my sister in Toronto this afternoon, and she's been suffering through the heat, too. I guess "great minds think alike" is true - when I worked at a nursery, I used to "deadhead with a purpose" too, and many of my plants are a result of that. And I just discovered that the seeds I gave a friend from my blue delphiniums last year are now all blooming plants, while all of the parent plants have died over the winter. So now I can get seeds back for replacements!

By the way, Susan, what kind of an ebook do you have? We have a Kobo and a Sony, and love both of them. I have a library of 527 books in ebook form, so I'll never lack something to read (and most of them were free!! =D> ).

Cheers!

gordonf

SusanB
honoured contributor

23 Jul '11 9:11 pm
Yes, the heat is really hitting the East coast very hard right about now. I heard Newark New Jersey hit a record high yesterday. Today should be a bit 'easier', not expected to hit 100 before heat index. :? I hope your sister is staying indoors and keeping safe!!
And yes, deadheading with a purpose is wonderful!! Not only do we get plants for free, but we get them from the very beginning of their lives and get to do all the nurturing ourselves. For me, it fills my winter-sowing needs beautifully.
I didn't mention the name of my e-reader 'cause I wasn't sure how 'safe' it was to mention specifics... however, I've got a Kindle, 2nd generation. I've only got 75 or so books so far, but then again, I get hooked on the word games too. :wink: Don't ya just love the freebie offers? =D> I've got tons of classics that I got for free, and the entire d'Artagnan series only cost me $0.89! Have you tried any of the word games offered... or, are they offered on yours? Never heard of the Kobo before, will have to check that out.
~ Mirabel Osler

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

24 Jul '11 5:15 pm
Nope - I'm not into the word games, although I do like crossword puzzles.

It got so cold here last night that the furnace came on! :shock: But then it warmed up during the daytime so I had all of the windows open. These cold nights are doing nothing for my tomatoes; they just get heavier but stay green.

This evening when I took Joey dog for his evening walk, we found a good feed of puffballs in the park, so I'm looking forward to a good breakfast of eggs, tomatoes and fried mushrooms foraged by the great forager, ME! =D> I've been collecting various varieties of wild mushrooms since I was a kid and my Dad showed me which to pick. This type of breakfast (with bacon added when I have some) takes me back to childhood days when kids could play out all day without fears of them being stolen, etc! Those were the days, indeed!

Cheers!

casper19
contributor

11 Feb '12 9:15 pm
I can't wait to start planting seeds in the next few weeks. This will be my first attempt at gardening,and I really hope I have good results on my first try. For some reason I think I'm going to experience a lot of gardening failures before I start producing nice looking vegetables.
How much should I expect to pay for an heirloom emergency seed bank online? I'm interested in gardening this summer, and want to start planting seeds in the spring. I'm hoping to plant kratom seeds before summer.

PreviousNext

Return to My Garden Diaries