Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

Re: 2011 -A new decade at Sequoia Gardens

2 Feb '11 7:31 pm
Sorry for the thread side track Jack... :oops:

Rock hoppers are not common. They are revered and in most cases are made very welcome wherever they choose to make their home. Cute as, but if a breeding pair chooses the underside of your house to make their nest it can become a noisy, smelly nightmare! They make tracks through the gardens ripping out anything that doesn't take their fancy. They can walk several kms from the water to their nest so it's not just the houses on the waterfront that are at risk.

There are only a few select areas that have rock hoppers - thankfully they are not a nation-wide problem!

Yes MacFlax, I can imagine the plant tag at the local garden centre: small, evergreen, hardy, drought tolerant, hippo proof... Good grief! :shock:

jack two
The new improved Jack Holloway v.2

Assorted animals - and Moosey...

5 Feb '11 2:23 am
Here's a philosophical question: have you been hijacked if you don't know that it has happened?

Here I come onto my thread in all innocence, only to discover SEVEN posts I wot not of... Perhaps somewhere at the bottom o the HUGE pile of unopened emails I have one from Eggy. Oops.

May I correct Mark's comment a little: we DID have a hippo that made its way up the mountain and into the lake at school, which resulted in a week long ban on using the lake until we were quite certain the bemused animal had departed. Most unusual, and had I not seen the pic to prove it... (in fact I think I posted it here. Search 'hippo'...) On another occasion I went down into the lowveld where a friend grew roses commercially on her farm on the Letaba River. (Very odd in that hot climate I thought, but with some extra care they flowered for 10 months of the year.) She was very distressed because the previous night the hippos had broken through her hippo-proof fence (picture 10mm steel cables) and rather undelicately trodden on some of her favourite roses!

Occasionally I have deer (we call them buck) nibble at my roses in spring; porcupines and bush-pigs (wild boar) sometimes trash bulbs; moles are a nuisance; rabbits have never beyond doubt been blamed for any damage; more prosaically, I have had the occasional stray cattle and horses munch their way through my flowers. At which I tend to forget that Ferdinand the Bull was my favourite story as a child... remember him? Instead of fighting in the arena he sniffed at the ladies' roses, much to the annoyance of the bullfighters. Oh, and just this week Mateczka discovered that running at full tilt through the cannas makes the most exciting sound...

But I came here to tell you that I have just posted a tribute to Moosey and the forums on my blog. You will find it at http://sequoiagardens.wordpress.com/201 ... et-moosey/

Best of animal wishes to you all!

moosey
head gardener

5 Feb '11 4:43 pm
Jack you are an absolute hoot! I laughed and laughed. Oh dear - very very funny. Thank you so much, dear friend in gardening. M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

jack two

30 Mar '11 12:08 am
Over the weekend I lost a whole post with pics here whilst posting, due to my bad internet. I will reconstruct it asap. Meanwhile take a look at the update under 'Garden Tours' on Cheerio Gardens... :)

jack two

30 Mar '11 7:16 am
Right - let me try to reconstruct that post, which was (is) all about a walk with the dogs where, for the first time, I managed to capture my biggest and smallest dogs at play. They can play for hours!
Mateczka and Abigail 1.jpg
Mateczka and Abigail 2.jpg
Mateczka and Abigail 3.jpg
Mateczka and Abigail 4.jpg
Mateczka and Abigail 5.jpg
Mateczka and Abigail 6.jpg
With the dogs in the Sequoia Avenue.jpg

If the bridge was the icon of the garden at The House that Jack Built, the Sequoia avenue is the symbol at the big house. At the beginning of the walk I took this shot by mounting the camera on a tripod and using the timed release function.

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

31 Mar '11 7:45 am
Love the photo essay on the dogs at play. Isn't it funny that dogs are the same no matter what continent they live on or accent they have?

I love the allee. So mature now and deeply shaded. The sort of quiet treey place I'd have spent hours playing in as a child.

Thanks for the update jack. :D

Mark
Home gardener & plant fetishist
Berkeley, California, USA

7 Apr '11 8:58 am
I would have too, Kerole. Nice to see you frolicking with your pups, Jack.
Mark in California

Q: "Do you ever sit down?"
A: "All the time until the urge to 'play' some more becomes too strong."

moosey
head gardener

8 Apr '11 12:52 pm
Nice to see you, too, Mark, stopping by to have a cup of - coffee? Hope all is going well in your lovely garden and with your dogs too. Cheers, M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

9 Apr '11 8:56 am
Mark! How've you been? You are missed around here friend! :D We have just been lamenting the dwindling numbers of old-time posters on this forum.

How's life is beautiful, sunny California? I often wonder how your wildflower garden got along last summer and your plans for it this year.

moosey
head gardener

10 Apr '11 3:13 pm
I'm glad Kerole didn't call you an 'old poster', mark - that would make you sound like some ancient bed! Hee hee.
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com

PreviousNext

Return to My Garden Diaries