gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

Re: 2011 -A new decade at Sequoia Gardens

31 Jan '11 7:00 pm
I agree, Kerole! Welcome back, Mark, and best wishes to Jack and the dog! Joey dog's going in to get his teeth cleaned on Tuesday - he won't be happy with me!!

By the way, my first few snow crocus flowers have come out - yippee!!

-gordonf

jack two
The new improved Jack Holloway v.2

31 Jan '11 8:13 pm
Yes, great to meet you here again, Mark! Mateczka had 5 stitches and has been very good so far about not scratching - but yesterday for the first time I caught her scratching and steel cable will not withstand the power of those claws :shock: :? . So I'm hoping for the best for week 2.

We're on our third sunny, rainless day in a row. Great - it gives rivers time to subside a little. But this is Africa; yesterday I blogged about the damage done by baboons to a 2m (6 ft) tall orchid. Sounds dramatic doesn't it! But actually all that happened is I had the opportunity to study the flowers better... :)

I include a panorama of the river, taken from a point I pass daily where they recently cleared a forest and opened up the view. There are pics on my phone, 5 days older, of the flood that I've yet to download...
Broederstroom week after flooding s.jpg
One week after the worst floods in 11 years

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

1 Feb '11 11:23 am
Be a good dog Mateczka and leave your face alone.

Jeepers, that is really is a big fat swollen brown river. Nice to be on a hill I'm thinking.

Baboons playing merry-hell with your orchids? New Zealander's have nothing remotely like that sort of worry. :shock:

Mark
Home gardener & plant fetishist
Berkeley, California, USA

1 Feb '11 1:08 pm
Gee, I thought I'd already posted a reply but I don't see it. Technology goblins?

Any how I just wanted to say thanks for the warm welcome to Kerole. Non-cyber life can really be insistent sometimes.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Jack. I also wanted to say I'll go post some photos of my new dog, Heidi Rose. Did I tell you old Sophie died back in August? She was 15. Heidi Rose, has taken her place in our pack but not in our hearts, yet at least. I'll go post some photos of her on my diary page (assuming I still can).
Mark in California

Q: "Do you ever sit down?"
A: "All the time until the urge to 'play' some more becomes too strong."

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

1 Feb '11 5:54 pm
Hi, Jack - What a lovely view you have from the mountain! Are they clear-cutting the forest for wood, or for some other purpose such as farming? In S.A. do they reforest afterward as they do here? And baboons in the orchids! Well, I never. . . here it would be bears in the fruit trees!

Cheers!

-gordonf

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

2 Feb '11 12:03 am
Baboons? :shock: Bears? :shock: We used to have kangaroos nibbling our lawn at night, no harm done though.

Mark
Home gardener & plant fetishist
Berkeley, California, USA

2 Feb '11 2:39 am
My favorite story about the wildlife in Jack's area is the time a hippo made it up the mountain and into a neighbor's garden. Everyone in my area complains bitterly of the foraging deer do in their gardens. I shudder to think what a hippo might do.
Mark in California

Q: "Do you ever sit down?"
A: "All the time until the urge to 'play' some more becomes too strong."

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

2 Feb '11 7:08 am
Hmph. I feel left out. As a complete animal nutter I would love to have any one of these marauding my property (just not very often I suspect!).

Baboons, bears, kangaroos, hippos, deer... :shock: :!:

The best I can do is an exceptionally well behaved possum (considered a dreadful pest in this country) that has made its home my stables and some visiting Canada geese. Not exactly headliner type stuff.

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

2 Feb '11 2:56 pm
I was surprised, when I first discovered online gardening communities, by what a big deal deer are. Where I might ask is this plant frost tolerant people in some parts of the world ask is this plant deer resistant. Deer resistance, deer tolerance, deer attractiveness is a criteria for choosing or rejecting plants!
Hippo? :shock:

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

2 Feb '11 6:49 pm
Hi, All! Yep, Macflax, I can't grow any tulips in my front garden because the deer eat all the flowers off them. Deer-resistance is very important here, as the little (relatively little anyway) critters patrol the streets every night snacking as they go along. By the way, deer don't eat fuzzy-leaved plants.

But, it seems to me that in parts of N.Z. they have problems with rockhopper penguins. Isn't that so? At least the deer are quiet! :D

-gordonf

PreviousNext

Return to My Garden Diaries