24 Jan '11 6:25 am
Here are the azalea cuttings:
Variegated azalea cuttings.jpg

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

Re: 2011 -A new decade at Sequoia Gardens

24 Jan '11 6:35 pm
Cool variegations, Jack; will they be called "Rhododendron sequoianites"? :) I don't know much about azaleas, but are there any "existing" ones with variegations anything like these? Maybe you'll become famous!! I keep hoping to find something like that in MY garden, but alas, none yet!

And I know how it feels with the power going out on one - it happens here fairly often (mostly in fall and winter).

By the way, I have only one azalea. It's a yellowish-orange member of the "Lights" series and it has very strong fragrance that pervades the entire back of the garden when in bloom.

Cheers!
-gordonf

jack two
The new improved Jack Holloway v.2

Saturday was a good day - part 3

25 Jan '11 1:22 am
OK, so that was where the lights started going off and I started packing up. Within minutes it was raining heavily, the power was not coming back on and the gutters were overflowing. It continued through the night. Every time I woke I thought 'it is STILL raining heavily!' This morning I measured 158mm with the rain guage overflowing. My neighbours went out to empty theirs, I hear on the grapevine... they measured over 300mm. That is a foot of rain last night. The river has not just broken its banks, it's lost them. I took pics on my cellphone, but it is a mission to download them. Our own stream showed signs of having severely overflowed when I went on an inspection at 8.00 am, and the emergency overflow of the Makoudam, built after 2000s typhoon brought 625mm in 36 hours, showed signs of having run strongly in the night. Freddy's Dam's emergency overflow was still running strongly. We have averaged over 25mm per day so far for January. But in 2000 we averaged 22mm per day from 1 Jan to 31 March. Please, Lord, not again...!!! :shock:
As the morning has included a trip to the vet with Mateczka, who gashed her face between the lip and the eye on yesterday's walk (adolescent enthusasm, you know..) and by the time I have fetched her I would have spent two hours on the road, I'd better call it a day. So the blog is still the place to read more about why Saturday was a good day :wink:

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

25 Jan '11 1:53 am
Oh no. Get well soon Mateczka!
I was just reading on the online news today that there has been serious flooding in South Africa. :(
I had a look at your blog, love the rose story!

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

25 Jan '11 6:24 pm
I guess I was wrong - even S. Africa is having freaky weather this year! Good luck with it all, Jack!

-gordonf

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

27 Jan '11 7:49 am
Looking forward to following the growth of those crazy Azaleas.

Man, you lot are getting some serious rain! Took a look at your blog again and I like what you've done to disguise the rain gauge. Nice!

The rose is interesting too...

Be sure to keep us posted.

moosey
head gardener

27 Jan '11 8:43 am
Hope Mateczka is OK, Jack. Dear dog! Just being nosy, I guess, as dogs are. All the best for your weather...
M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

27 Jan '11 6:22 pm
I saw on the t.v. news today how numerous S.A. communities are under states of emergency due to the rains. I think of you often - even while we had a province-wide (and Canada's largest ever) earthquake drill this morning! I guess we all have our crosses to bear. And I'm watching the progress of those azaleas also! Good luck with them!

-gordonf

Mark
Home gardener & plant fetishist
Berkeley, California, USA

31 Jan '11 3:21 pm
My god, a foot of rain over night? That will test anybody's infrastructure. Sure hope your dams hold up okay.

My best to the patient. Fletcher had a mysterious illness about a month ago where he went off his food, lost several pounds and had his face swell up as though he had the mumps. He was walking like an elderly zombie too. I took him to two vets and gave him every medication. He is back to old form and I am now feeding him more every to give him more of a hedge against a future illness.

Hang in there, Jack.
Mark in California

Q: "Do you ever sit down?"
A: "All the time until the urge to 'play' some more becomes too strong."

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

31 Jan '11 5:55 pm
Mark!! Where have you been? Real life taken you hostage I suspect. Nice to have you back. :D

PreviousNext

Return to My Garden Diaries