jack two
The new improved Jack Holloway v.2

2011 -A new decade at Sequoia Gardens

16 Jan '11 7:15 am
Symptomatic of how full my life is at present, it only occured to me this morning that it was the middle of January and I had not yet spent a moment thinking of posting at Mooseys...

What to call this new diary? Change and renewal is the key at present. The title had to reflect that...

After a bumpy ride, my foreman and I parted company at the end of December, but not before I had secured his successor. Due to the previous foreman - at least in part - we go into the new year with less than half the people who were with us last January. But I am fortunate to have appointed some excellent temps from whose ranks I will appoint permanent staff at the end of Feb. At that point I officially buy all the plantations from my father and become fully responsible for everything on the farm. We've had a complex relationship, with the trees - and thus the income - on the farm belonging to my father, with me managing things for him these last two years. Meanwhile the second cottage for letting to holday-makers is fast nearing completion. And I am back at school with a full teaching time-table, although no admin and extramural involvement. I seem to be juggling more balls than I can manage, yet I am very positive about this year and the promise it holds...

Also I have finally succumbed and bought the entry-level Canon 1000D SLR-D camera. After a week I've still only had the time for 24 photos, and am 1/3 of the way through the manual... but I'm getting there. We've had well over 75mm of steady rain in the last 30 hours, all major dams in South Africa and locally are overflowing, and the laquered leaves of a fuchia against a mossy brick wall outside a window caught my attention this afternoon. Thus the first pic of 2011, taken with the new camera...
Fuchia c-u.jpg

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

Re: 2011 -A new decade at Sequoia Gardens

16 Jan '11 8:09 am
Happy New Year to you Jack!

A full basket of things to do is much better than an empty one. (Jeez, that sentence was very poorly executed but I hope you get my drift!).

I took another peek at your blog and was wowed by your stunning purple pineapple lilies. I am a bit of a fan of these tough but unusual looking plants. They're having some sort of revival here. Once a fairly obscure granny plant but now all the fanciest nurseries are stocking them. There are a range of new types including purple ones. 'Sparkling Burgundy' has found it's way into my Pond Garden and NZ-bred 'Jade' is in the White Gardens.

Well, the purple one is nothing like your spectacular example! I still like mine but I'd rather it looked like yours! 'Jade' is a real let down. Not lime green at all but pink and green. Still, I love the way they're unfussy and tough-as-nails.

Love the photo of the wet fuschia. We are SO dry here the image of a drippy plant and damp mossy brick wall is fab. I can't sit here and wish for rain though - not while the poor Aussies are literally drowing in the stuff. :(

But anyway - nice to have you back Jack. All the best for the New Year!

moosey
head gardener

16 Jan '11 9:02 am
Aha! A new camera. A new year, a new toy, and hours of fun fun fun. M

PS Everyone must, must, must peep at Jack's blog. And keep on peeping. Go on. Promise? Please note that J is so modest he doesn't even include a link to his blog. Here's an in-house link.
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com/garden-website-links/gardening-blogs-three.html
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

16 Jan '11 4:02 pm
Lovely photo to start the decade. I hope all that rain doesn't threaten to cause any problems?

jack two

16 Jan '11 6:55 pm
Hello all, and thanks for the warm welcome - and for the link, Moosey! :oops:

I've just posted a follow-up on a rose discovery story which I think my Moosey friends will enjoy.

And I've measured 32mm of continuous soaking rain over the past 24 hours. The rushing of the stream in the valley is now a constant presence. Glorious! MacFlax, because the dams can no longer cushion any flooding, there is definitely going to be a problem if there is heavy rain during the next two months, but it will always be along the flood lines of the major rivers, and as such manageable. That said, in 2000 we were already heading for the wettest year in 80-odd years of record-keeping on the farm, when a cyclone battered the north-east of Southern Africa. At its worst we measured 625mm in 36 hours. Water fell in sheets, as if from a bucket. It was scary, and crazy, and the destruction along the Limpopo and Olifants Rivers as they moved through the lowlands of Mozambique to the east was awesome. For weeks huge areas were flooded. You might recall the story of the woman who was rescued from a tree after 3 days, having just successfully given birth in the tree. She went on to become a roving ambassador for Mozambique, at that stage just rising from the position of Africa's poorest nation after 20 years of civil war.

Kerole- be of good faith. My pineapple lilies are 7 or 8 years old, and have been growing in those spots for 5 years. Tough, yes, but they need tme to really settle in. And good luck with your huge renovation projects - we will all be watching. One thing I can guarantee: it is going to take longer, cost more and create more havoc than you can possibly imagine :twisted: :twisted: But I have no doubt that you are up to the task!

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

18 Jan '11 7:16 pm
Hi, Jack, and welcome back. You sure have been busy!! As I ogled your Pineapple lily pics, I wondered if I could, maybe, get a small collection of seeds from you. All of the ones I have were grown from seed, but I don't think I've seen any with such deep purple leaves around here.

By the way, thanks to Moosey for the address of your blog, as I somehow seem to have lost it in my computer. I went to it and raced through it (I'll return for a more thorough reading) and found it quite wonderful!! Loved all the roses and azaleas. The azaleas reminded me of an animated version of "L'il Abner" that I saw as a child - the spring drawings of the Ozark Mountains in the film looked SO much like your pics!! I thought colour like that only existed in fantasies!!

I seem to have dropped of the reminder list for your postings (I guess things like that are bound to happen from time to time).

Anyway, keep well, and don't overwork. Remember that all those flowers need to be admired from time to time! :D

Cheers!

gordonf

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

19 Jan '11 6:30 pm
Oh Gordon, I still have researching availability of Kangaroo Paw seeds for you somewhere in my to do list! :oops:

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

20 Jan '11 7:47 pm
Thanks for remembering, Jack! By the way, I was advertising your blog and website at a gardening shop in Victoria today.

Cheers!

-gordonf

jack two

24 Jan '11 6:10 am
There's a storm approaching. Then the lights go out. Which causes my ancient, battery-dead laptop to die. And tomorrow is Monday. So just in case I don't get to write the post i want to, here is my blog version of it: http://sequoiagardens.wordpress.com/2011/01/23/cascade-rose-in-flower/

jack two

Saturday was a good day - part 1

24 Jan '11 6:18 am
Yesterday everything came together: I got to complete an important section of Rotary work; I cooked two serious curries to go into the freezer, plus another dish; I potted on 11 rose seedlings and the dogs and I took a loooong walk during which I found a twig on an azalea with seriously impressive variation, and came home to plan three cuttings of it. Since it is azalea season, they should do well. I don't know when last I felt so good about a day... most of the time I feel these days as though all I do is chase my own tail. As the storm is getting closr, I think I'll post this in installments. Here goes episode 1!

Next

Return to My Garden Diaries