Candids Place

candid
valued helper
Otane, Central Hawkes Bay, New Zealand

Re: Candids Place

7 Jun '11 6:40 pm
Sure looks like a real 'thug', will have to keep a close eye on it. If it looks like it is going to take over it's allotted corner of the garden then I'll have to take drastic measures, perhaps in hindsight I should have put on the slope just inside the gate as this is a problem area I am struggling with at the moment, really needs a good clear out and replanted....but I'm feeling a bit weary from doing all the other garden projects and like the plants need a bit of winter hibernation.

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

9 Jun '11 6:30 pm
Hi, Candid;

It's my first time looking through your garden diary, and I look forward to seeing many more posts here. I've never heard of a rose called crepiscule - do you have any pics of it?

As for bindweed, is that what we in Canada call "morning glory"? The one I'm referring to has fairly small, generally white morning glory-type flowers, but it's a noxious perennial vine and, as you know, is very hard to eradicate. I wonder if you could smother it by leaving a plastic mulch over it for a year or so, or would it just grow around the plastic?

I liked your pics very much and I'm hoping to see many more of them! :D

Cheers!

-gordonf

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

10 Jun '11 8:42 am
Crepuscule is a very popular older rose here in NZ, despite the awful name that conjures up images of a nasty skin disorder!

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

10 Jun '11 10:20 am
It sure DOES sound awful, doesn't it? :-& But if anyone has a picture of it, I'd be interested in seeing it.

Cheers, Candid,

gordonf

SusanB
honoured contributor

12 Jun '11 10:34 pm
A bit late joining the fray here, my apologies. I love your new gazebo Candid, it's lovely!

I had to giggle when reading the last couple posts about your crepuscule rose... the phrase "A rose, by any other name, is still a rose.." popped into my head. :wink: Seeing as I'm still a newbie in the gardening world, that's a new one to me; I'll be wanting to look it up now!
There can be no other occupation like gardening
in which, if you were to creep up behind
someone at their work, you would find them smiling.
~ Mirabel Osler

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

13 Jun '11 9:07 am
Moosey has a lovely example growing on a pergola...

http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com/rose-garden/crepuscule-rose.html

And one more pic for good measure...
crepuscule.jpg
From Mooseys garden photos.

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

13 Jun '11 9:48 am
Thanks for the pic! It really IS a lovely rose, isn't it?

-gordonf

candid
valued helper

6 Jul '11 3:57 pm
Hi Everyone
I seem to have missed some 'posts' lately, never mind I am still 'lurking' and have a little spare time today as it's a bit cold to go gardening...I said previously that I would send a pic of the mosaic table I made for the gazebo and while I'm 'here' a pic of a tui feeding at the recent addition of a 'tui feeder' erected on the side of the gazebo and only a few feet away from the veranda.
DSCF6055.jpg
DSCF6251 Tui.jpg

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

6 Jul '11 7:10 pm
Hi again, Candid!

Great pics! I love mosaic anythings, and your table is great! How long did it take to complete it? And what kind of a bird is a tui? Is it a woodpecker-type or a grain-feeding type? And does it sing or just squawk?

Cheers!

gordonf

candid
valued helper

6 Jul '11 7:55 pm
Hi gordenf
The Tui is a nectar eating bird, a bit larger than a blackbird, primarily a forest bird but found in suburban gardens especially in winter when food is scarce. They love flax, kowhai and pohutukawa flowers in spring and summer. I put out sugar water, to which I add a couple of drops of red food colouring, they seem to be attracted to red, probably because some of their natural foods have red flowers. They also like the apples and oranges I put out for the 'silvereyes'. The mosaic table took me a week to do, several hours each day. Just in case you are not familiar with 'silvereyes' here is a pic of two feeding from the suet feeder, they also like nectar and fruit.
DSCF6168.jpg
silvereyes also known as waxeye, note the white/silver ring around the eye.

PreviousNext

Return to My Garden Diaries