Candids Place

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

Re: Candids Place

7 May '11 2:38 am
Hi Candid. How's the gazebo coming along? Would love to see pics.

candid
valued helper
Otane, Central Hawkes Bay, New Zealand

7 May '11 4:49 pm
The gazebo is finished, waiting for a nice day before I take some pics. It is so 'new' looking, hopefully the winter will weather it a little.

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

16 May '11 6:26 pm
I hope the weather won't be too harsh for you this winter. We've had an incredibly early and icy cold spell.
I just noticed the intermingling plants comment. Hubby and I always have debates about the right amount of intermingling. :lol:

candid
valued helper

18 May '11 10:35 pm
As promised a few photos of my ongoing garden projects..........plants look a bit sparce in the Hot garden bed, but I left spaces for later additions and growth. I have also made a mosaic table for the gazebo, doing the grouting tomorrow weather permitting, so watch this space.
DSCF5896.jpg
A Hot garden bed [colours], Day Lillies [Morrocan Sunset] Deep Scarlett Carpet roses, Bottle Brush, Sophora Dragons Gold, Red Flax, Abelia and Rubus Orange Berry and of course self seeded Iceladic Poppies.
DSCF5904.jpg
Perennial border has a combination of some of the old fashioned favourites: Lavatera, Johnsons Blue Geranium, Sweet Williams, Nepeta, Penstemons and Salvias, Shasta Daisies, Solidago Baby Gold, Echinacea.
DSCF6006.jpg
A shady spot in summer for a cuppa or some other tipple that takes the fancy.

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

18 May '11 11:33 pm
Love the gazebo! I would have just the spot for something like that...

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

19 May '11 8:48 am
Crikey you've done a lot of work! =D>

The gazebo is excellent - what a little cutie, perfect dimensions! The paths are wide and inviting and the planting scheme is most definitely NZ-cottage. Nice job.

Watch that Orangeberry though. I don't know if you've grown it before but it has a reputation for thuggery. It creeps and suckers and smothers and an alarming rate. Why is this not mentioned on the pretty little labels in the nurseries?! It is however an excellent choice for difficult and inhospitable areas such as clay banks, and it'll grow in deep shade or blazing sun. But it would be a shame to see it take over your lovely perennial bed.

candid
valued helper

19 May '11 10:31 am
Thanks Kerole and Mcflax for your kind comments, hopefully all will survive the winter sleep and send forth beautiful growth in spring....We had a 'good' frost here this morning but the sun is up and shining with the promise of a nice warm day so the grouting on the mosaic table will be done later...pics to come.
I will keep an eye on the Orangeberry don't want to many 'thugs' in the garden, have enough problem with the bind weed, at least it is in the shrub part of the garden and not amongst the perennials, I didn't list all the plants in the 'P' bed but I have also put in Ladys Mantel, mini agapanthus, a white lavender, liriope, erigeron, leontis[lions tail] and lots of aquiligia...I was tempted to put in some foxgloves but someone told me they are very poisonous if my wee dog ate any part of it, so I will wait til she is past the puppy stage. I'm sure there are other plants that could harm her and I have tried to research those that could be nasty, I think aquiligia could be nasty too but I have a garden bed full of them and so far she hasn't attempted to touch them so it's a matter of being observant...

candid
valued helper

6 Jun '11 11:57 am
What is happening to the four seasons :?: The leaves are falling, yep it's autumn here in N.Z. but the plants are really confused, I have Iris and spring bulbs flowering already and by the time spring does appear there may be nothing to give me that 'lift' after the dull and dreary months of winter....Perhaps we won't get a winter :?

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

6 Jun '11 12:26 pm
Yes indeed, the weather here is too weird for words!

I have camelias and violets flowering next to my summer-flowering blue Thunbergia vine (which didn't flower in summer at all) and daylilies next to jonquils. All very odd.

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

7 Jun '11 1:35 pm
Hey Candid, take a gander at Gordon's last post. He has a pic of flowering Alliums underplanted with Orangeberry (he calls it creeping Raspberry). Check out how it has totally taken over this area...

PreviousNext

Return to My Garden Diaries