Candids Place

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

Re: Candids Place

3 Nov '11 5:50 pm
Hi, again, Candid!

Loved your garden pics! Especially the dark blue columbines! I'm very partial to that colour of columbine, but I don't have any. They self-seed around my garden, but never in blue :( . Isn't spring/early summer a wonderful time of the year? All the leaves still have that fresh, clean, young look and the bugs haven't had a chance to mar them up too much!

I took my first garden picture in weeks today; it's of my Japanese maple in the rain and it's posted on my Facebook page (haven't got around to posting it here yet, as it's on my phone which uploads pictures automatically to Facebook). It's a bit fiddly to hook the phone up to the computer so I can post it here, but it'll get done soon.

The Fall storms have begun here and most of the leaves have now blown off the trees; I've been bringing in plants that can't handle the cold and/or rain during the winter and the place is filling up. I brought in 3 leafless amyrillis(sp.?) tonight to begin warming up. I'll re-pot them tomorrow and hope for Christmas blooms.

All the best!

gordonf

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

3 Nov '11 6:58 pm
Lovely pics.

Kerole wrote:Oooh MORE garden structures... I'm incredibly jealous! I can't seem to erect the first of a gazillion garden structures that are on the list of 'things I really really want help with'. What's your bloke doing this weekend? :D

Can I put myself down on the waiting list too? :lol:

I've been daydreaming about wisteria but Kerole has reminded me of what I've heard about them requiring a substantial structure to grow on. Clematis is on my wish list buteveryone talks about how tricky they are. :? Comments re Montana noted. :shock: Although there's one neighbour I wouldn't mind hiding a little more... :lol: What I've heard is clematis needs its roots in the shade and flowers in the sun?

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

4 Nov '11 7:03 am
Hi Candid - where have you been all winter?! Nice to have you back.

Your place is looking gorgeous. Love the edgings and gravel paths. So well defined. Jealous again I'm afraid. My garden edgings are in desperate need of definition - the lines are perpetually blurred between plants and lawn and path.

MacFlax - yes, clematis needs a cool root-run with its head in the sun. The fancy hybrids are often plagued with some sort of stem wilt that kills them when they're planted out. It's enough to make me very nervous about buying them - over here they're expensive. But oh so beautiful!

moosey
head gardener

4 Nov '11 10:27 am
I've always wanted to have those big, blousy clematis vines sprawling over everything else. I'm a bit stuck with the montana variety, which is a bit of a thug. Though I'm trying a pale pink montana which I think is called 'Elizabeth', and it seems most restrained. Ah well. Dreams! Cheers, M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

4 Nov '11 5:47 pm
MacFlax - Be sure to plant your clematis LOWER in the ground than it is in the pot, in case it gets that awful wilt; that way, it can regrow from the roots. It's worked for me is all I can say!! I gather that the wilt must stop at ground level and doesn't damage the roots so the plant can grow back from them. There are some wonderful Japanese large-flowered varieties that MUST do all right in your area! Oh, and if one DOES appear to have died, don't give up on it and dig it out - it just might regrow the next year as one of mine did. :D

Cheers!

gordonf

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

5 Nov '11 3:54 pm
Thanks for the tips Gordon. :)

candid
valued helper
Otane, Central Hawkes Bay, New Zealand

9 Feb '12 1:13 pm
Hi Everyone
It's been a busy New Year with lots of visitors popping in for a few days or more, the next ones to cross my doorstep is my dear son with his wife and two children who arrived last weekend for a holiday in the sun from Scotland, so before chaos ascends on my place thought you might like to see how the garden is progressing....I'm really thrilled with how it has come on :D :D :D
DSCF6709.jpg
DSCF6711.jpg
DSCF6712.jpg
DSCF6717.jpg

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

9 Feb '12 2:15 pm
Oh Candid, you're a grandmother!! For some reason I pictured you as part of a young, working, pre-child couple. How wrong I was! You must give off young vibes! :mrgreen:

Your garden is looking very fresh and tidy. Not much sign of the ravishes of mid-summer in your borders at all. I love the pink flower carpet roses and that silver leafed thing in the 3rd photo - what is that?

I've always wanted a pink/lilac and silver colour scheme somewhere. Very pretty and a bit different to the more usual silver and blues.

So nice to hear you survived the madness of the silly season. Time now to kick back and enjoy time with the family. 8)

candid
valued helper
Otane, Central Hawkes Bay, New Zealand

9 Feb '12 3:19 pm
Hi Kerole
The 'grey thingy' is our native Brachyglottis greyi. The large headed agapanthus has put its head through the fence not wanting to be out of the picture :) Oh yes I am a grandmother alright, youngest 3yrs, eldest 20yrs and and several in between and thankfully I don't feel a day over 40. :lol:

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

10 Feb '12 11:25 am
:oops: I didn't recognise it without the yellow button flowers!

Wow, you have a grandchild aged 20? Not long now before you're a great grandmother!

Anyway, your garden is looking very well-loved and orderly. You are putting me to shame...

PreviousNext

Return to My Garden Diaries