Candids Place

candid
valued helper
Otane, Central Hawkes Bay, New Zealand

Candids Place

17 Dec '10 9:25 am
Thankyou Keroles for replying to my first post....
I'm pleased to say that overnight we have had some much awaited rain and it is continuing to fall as I write.
One part of the garden has a real NZ Native feel about it and includes flaxes, pittos, acacia,ake ake [purperea] hebes and carex.
The garden was really overgrown with those other plants that we sometimes call wildflowers :!: It actually took 4 'fadges' to clear one small area. Pleased to say it is getting back to some sort of order.
In all parts of the garden I have Iris's 'for Africa' a wonderful show but I have sacrificed some of them so I can put in plants to give summer colour to the garden, oh! mustn't forget the wonderful display of Icelandic poppies, they are past their best now but I can be assured that they will pop up year after year.
I was always tentative about roses and avoided planting them in the past but I have rediscovered the Rugosa Roses[I remember them in my grandmothers garden in England] and planted them amongst some of the existing roses, not to familiar with rose varieties or names but one climbing around the veranda I think is Crepuscule, it gave a magnificant display about a month ago and now is preparing for another flush, I will try and upload a photo of it in it's spendid glory. My two named rugosa are 'Agnes' and 'Frau Dagmar Hastrup', three others not sure. It appears I have waffled on enough for now.
I

candid
valued helper

Re: Candids Place

17 Dec '10 11:11 am
I think this rose is Crepuscule
DSCF3355.jpg

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

17 Dec '10 11:24 am
Hi Candid and welcome. Your rose is gorgeous.

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

17 Dec '10 11:43 am
Hello again candid! I'm pleased you've started a new thread and have got to grips with photo uploading. We're a nosy bunch and can't wait to see more photos of your garden.

Crepuscule is a beauty but what an unusual name. It always reminds me of some terrible skin disorder :?

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

17 Dec '10 8:14 pm
Kerole wrote:Crepuscule is a beauty but what an unusual name. It always reminds me of some terrible skin disorder :?

Exactly! :lol:

candid
valued helper

18 Dec '10 12:37 pm
Just a few more photos....I am really lucky that the garden has good features, now all I have to do is try and make it all come together....Opps! think I put a picture on the wrong page, so I will repeat it here...sorry.
DSCF3279.jpg
DSCF3280.jpg
The NZ Native part of garden
DSCF3282.jpg
Gravel paths encircle the house and river stone make good edges
DSCF3357.jpg
Aquilegias, Cranesbill, Pansies, Geums [Mrs.Bradshaw and Lady Strathden] among other ocuppy this small patch.

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

18 Dec '10 1:02 pm
Beautiful. I love your porch area.

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

18 Dec '10 4:55 pm
Oooh... Love the old villa and cottage garden with a NZ native twist. Perfect! :D

moosey
head gardener

19 Dec '10 7:07 am
Hi Candid, Welcome to Mooseys and thanks so much for posting. Yippee for that new Zealand twist!

Crepuscule (it's the second syllable that does the damage, I think) is a beauy. I saw my first Crepuscule at a high country garden in the South ISland NZ called Flaxmere. I was still poking Othellos into soggy planting places and enjoying the wonders of a frost-free hillside in suburbia.That was years and years ago!

So Crepuscule has a special significance for me. I grow it now on a pergola out in the open. Yippee!
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

candid
valued helper

4 Jan '11 8:03 pm
Hi to you all, Happy New Year...

Has anyone got a solution of how to get rid of bindweed, I have been pulling it out by hand, what a chore that is, I realize that it's roots travel far and wide and I'm trying to get on top it before it gets on top of me...thankfully it has not reached the stage where it is smothering everything, just pockets of it here and there. I could try Roundup but I'm reluctant to do so, not keen on chemical attack. I read somewhere that if you do use a chemical weed spray it has a better chance of hitting it in the autumn when the plant is taking down nutrients for winter storage, is this so :?: Any suggestions greatly received.

Next

Return to My Garden Diaries