Re: Gardening in The Canadian Prairies

19 Aug '10 6:39 pm
You've only been there three years? :shock:

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

20 Aug '10 9:16 am
At the risk of depressing myself, I have to ask - do you have garden help? Your property is immaculate. I bet a weed daren't ever show its face.

In any event, I applaud your Herculean efforts in transporting all those rocks =D> and your forethought to put lights in the pond before filling it with water. =D>

I am looking forward to seeing more as the seasons change.

dorismccomb
valued member
Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

21 Aug '10 1:44 pm
Yes, we moved in June of 2007. The first summer season we did nothing but watch the sun. Prior to building/creating any flowerbeds was to figure out where the sun hits the yard ect. We discovered our low lying areas and then started the design process. We really started digging in the spring of 2008. I am not sure if Im allowed to post my web site, but I have documented all of our work from the very beginning. I also included pages of our previous much smaller yard. We did a prety terrific job in that yard as well. Problem was that we outgrew the yard, ergo we moved.

Ah yes, the weeds. We have a date almost every day. I suffer from Fibromyalgia, so some days I sit inside and pout because I ache all over. The weeds, me and the slugs..we are a trio. I do not have any garden help said for cutting the grass. The fella down the street does that for me. I find grass cutting a bore and do not categorize the task as gardening. :roll: Now trimming the grass...that's an art. I love trimming the grass to perfection.

Happy to post more pictures as we in the northern hemisphere move to autumn.
Below is an image taken October 2009. We had a freak snowfall. The snow melted within a couple of hours but I had the mindset to grab my camera and take a picture.

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

22 Aug '10 8:32 am
Oh dear, now I really do feel shamed. I was hoping you'd say you had an army of under gardeners - a man for every job so to speak.

But no. You do all that yourself. And you have a seriously debiliating ailment.

I bow to you and all you have achieved in your corner of paradise. =D> =D>

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

22 Aug '10 3:03 pm
I've moved a few rocks myself, when I was younger (seems so long ago). I can only add =D> =D>

dorismccomb
valued member
Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

23 Aug '10 5:35 am
Hello

Thanks you very much for the applause. My gardening is such a labour of love for me. Even when I feel poorly, being out with the blooms somehow refreshes me and gives me strength. I also believe that my body movements (bending and stretching) within the garden actually helps my muscles and joints.

It is Sunday, August 22 and the humidex has our temperature at 39c...thank goodness for the wind. My daughter and son-in-law Adam (who moved to Winnipeg from Bendigo, Australia to marry my daughter) are coming by for a bbq, should be fun. Most likely they will jump onto the 'floaties' and splash around in the pond. I so enjoy watching my family and friends enjoy what Jim and I have created. This week we are hosting a street party. All the neighbours have been aching to see what has been going on in our backyard.

I am posting my website address and I will pray for forgiveness (from Moosey) later [-o< . This will allow everyone to view so many more pictures than what I could post here. That's not to say that I won't still post...this forum is exactly what I need. Everyone is so kind. Thank you.
http://www.my-gardening-and-landscaping-makeover.com

Below is an image of one of the dirt piles we moved from the front to the backyard. We used the dirt (we call it clean fill) to berm/raise the back area.

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

23 Aug '10 10:53 pm
I've bookmarked your site, lots to look at while I wait for the rain to stop.

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

8 May '11 5:38 pm
Hi, Doris, and welcome to the forum! I garden on central Vancouver Island, but for years I was in the Central Interior of BC, with a climate much like yours. So I understand some of your challenges; but isn't it fun when you overcome one of them?

I really liked your garden - especially the lights at night and the ponds. I noticed that you have vines growing on your fence - are they roses, or what? I'll have to take a look at your website and probably I'll find out over there.

Cheers!

gordonf

Previous

Return to My Garden Diaries