JuneBug
helper

Georgia Garden

13 Mar '10 11:55 pm
Spring is just around the corner. The trees have buds and plants are pushing up through the ground. The daffodils are starting to bloom. I love this time of year. Last weekend we finally had some decent weather here in the Atlanta area. The temperatures were in the low 60s which is perfect for working in the garden. The husband had to work, and while he is not as enthusiatic about the garden as I am, he is a good helper, so I missed being able to 'order' him around. (He can get over zealous with the hegde trimmers, so he does need supervision.) However it was wonderful to be outside. I cleaned out flower beds and trimmed rose bushes (knock-out roses) and raked up leaves. It was glorious work and needless to say after a weekend of doing all that, I had a few sore muscles.

This week brought more rain. It rained almost every day. Up until the middle of last summer our area and most of Georgia was under a severe drought for almost three years. There were state-wide watering restrictions and for over a year there was no outside residential watering allowed except for vegetables gardens. While I understood the need for this I was very concerned about keeping what I had alive. Obviously planting anything new was out of the question. I do have two 60 gallon rain barrels and what little rain we did have managed to keep these full, so I got lots of exercise hauling buckets of water from the rain barrels to water my plants. Then in the middle of last summer after having some rain in the spring, the outside water ban was lifted. There were still restrictions, but we were allowed to use our irrigations systems again - only on certain days and only during certain times of the day. I was so relieved as while most of my plants were still alive, they had definitely suffered and were showing it.

The Atlanta area gets its water from Lake Lanier - a 38,000 acre lake created by damming up the Chatahoochee River. A year ago the lake was 20 feet below full pool - a record setting low. 'Experts' said it would take years for the lake to reach full pool again. However Mother Nature had other ideas. She began giving us rain last summer and lots of it. She made up for a three year drought in a matter of months. The lake was full again which was good news however we also had severe flooding in some areas of Atlanta last September. The Atlanta area has continued to receive rain through the fall and winter. A year ago I thought I would never say, "I'm tired of all this rain", but I AM tired of all this rain. I know my garden is grateful but if Mother Nature would just back off a wee bit with the rain, say on the weekends I would appreciate it.

So this spring will be the first time in quite a while that I can go to the garden nursery store and actually buy plants instead of just look at them. For a long time I would go to the nursery and just look at the plants knowing I couldn't get any, because with the drought I would struggle to keep them alive. Now it will only be a couple more weeks and the gardening centers will have all the new spring plants and I will be able to do more than just look at them. I'm sure there will be weekly visits where I will load my cart to overflowing and my husband will shake his head but being the good guy he is, he understands my passion. (He's also very good a digging holes!)

This weekend looks to have partially decent weather. It is supposed to rain (again) Saturday night and Sunday morning and temperatures will be in the 50s - but I am determined to go outside and finish the work I started last weekend, so I will be ready to get new plants in the ground when the time comes. Here in Atlanta it is generally safe to plant after April 15th. (No more freezing temperatures.)

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

15 Mar '10 7:28 am
Hey there Junebug. So it's been a bit damp in Atlanta huh? We are having the opposite problem - unusually persistent drought conditions. So nice to hear from another Nth American gardener - we down here in the Sthn Hemisphere are heading into Autumn and news of spring is always welcome. I'd love to see some photos of your patch. Good luck persuading your husband that you really really need another 12 of those and 6 of them, and that the horribly expensive tree is just perfect for replacing the other horribly expensive tree that died... :D

We look forward to hearing more of your gardening exploits.

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

15 Mar '10 8:34 pm
Hi Junebug. How wonderful that you will soon be able to go shopping again. Looking forward to hearing more about your garden.

nanny129
honoured member

Re: Georgia Garden

9 Apr '10 7:17 am
hi junebug-- i', nanny129--i live in douglasville,ga-- just found this wonderful site-- then saw you here-- how exciting--judy

moosey
head gardener

10 Apr '10 5:23 pm
Hello to you two 'Georgians'! I feel rather humbled, Junebug, by your talk of water restictions. I moan and groan about not getting enough rain, but I have running water and hey! I can fill buckets all day every day if things get tough. I promise I will never ever moan again!

Droughts are so relative. One gardener in one country things he or she knows what they are. Then we read about another who is so worse off, and give thanks!

Anyway, all the very best for spring in Georgia, and perhaps if you have time to spare in your busy gardening day you could show off some photographs of both your gardens? That would be so nice.

cheers, M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

I love to Garden
valued member
Savannah, Georgia USA

15 Apr '10 9:43 am
Hi, I just registered yesterday (I think) and I am not a big computer person so I might not be too good at all this.. I was visiting gardens online as I impatiently await for my small garden to burst into bloom. I saw what you had written and boy oh boy do I feel your pain. Feast and then Famine. Drought and then Rain. I am in Savannah and my mother is in Atlanta. Last year I did the best I could as I watched all my babies suffer thru the heat and this year, with our late spring and all this standing water, I feel I have been waiting and waiting for the Earth to revive itself. But joy oh joy the wisteria is abundant along all the roadsides. The Azealas have exploded and everywhere I go both in Savannah and Atlanta ( I was visiting there for Easter ) The Creeping Phlox is mounding over walls and under all the Red Bud, Cherry, Pear, and Dogwood trees that are coming back to life. I think we survived the last couple of years and are being rewarded for our efforts by this spring's beautiful show. I can't wait to see what our year will bring. I wish you a wonderful season ahead. Oh and since our season usually runs about a week ahead of yours I'll just let you know that my roses have just started to tease me with their first flush and the Salvia and Snap Dragons have been brightening my days for over a week. I hope any of yours are soon to come if they are not already here. And for all you other gardeners out there thank you for helping me to keep my sanity this month by sharing your beautiful gardens with me as I waited with baited breath for mine to awaken. Thank you, Thank You, Thank You.
May we live in the joy of all of God's gifts and endeavor to appreciate them.

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

22 Apr '10 7:19 pm
How lovely to hear about the awakening of the northern gardens as we head towards winter. I hope the heat won't hit you too hard this year. I absolutely love dogwoods. :)

casper19
contributor

11 Feb '12 9:17 pm
The summers in Georgia are hot and humid, and I was always curious what crops grow there the best? I live in the Midwest, and it seems that corn grows well in this climate.
How much should I expect to pay for an heirloom emergency seed bank online? I'm interested in gardening this summer, and want to start planting seeds in the spring. I'm hoping to plant kratom seeds before summer.

essga11

14 Mar '12 12:53 am
Hi Junebug and the rest of the community as well - I'm a fellow Georgian in the Atl area and I'm about to start my first raised beds EVER. I'm a total novice and I have no idea what I'm doing. Hopefully ya'll can advise me along the way because I have so many questions. I bought a bunch of seeds from Victory that I'm about to stick in their little holes in seed trays I bought. I'm going to try setting them in a window for now but I think I'll slap together a small light set up in the laundry room. I will be delighted if I get just one zucchini out of this whole deal. Lol. Perhaps I'll start a diary here so you can watch me blunder around for your daily comic relief. Nice to meetcha - nice to be here. Wish me luck!

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

14 Mar '12 7:49 am
Good for you for giving it a go! I warn you though, gardening is VERY addictive. One zucchini this year... three cabbages next year... next a grand Victorian countryscape complete with grotto, mini lake, and formal partere... :shock:

This thread has had no activity for 2 years now so please begin your own thread. We'd love to follow your progress and help where possible. 8)

Next

Return to My Garden Diaries