Jack in 2010

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

Re: Jack in 2010

29 Nov '10 7:27 am
What a gorgeous flower! Oh to have something so tropical and exotic looking growing wild on the property. I suspect I could kill this plant a thousand times over if it lived here.

jack two
The new improved Jack Holloway v.2

Goodbye to 2010

27 Dec '10 8:47 pm
Here we are, at the end of 2010…already. It’s been a good year, all told, although it took some rather unexpected turns. Most importantly (I guess – even on a gardening forum) I am firmly back into teaching, albeit on a part-time basis. But next year I will have 4 classes, a full time-table: Grade 9, 10 and 11 English and grade 11 Afrikaans. Unusual for a part-time (and therefore temporary) teacher, the understanding is that I will take my two classes of 11s through into their final year in 2012. In fact what I have is the best of both worlds – a very satisfying contract with the school, with very clearly defined parameters, allowing me enough time on the farm. If there ever is such a thing as enough time.

‘On the farm’ means several things. With the start of the new financial year in March I ‘buy’ all the pine plantations from my father and take over full responsibility for and benefit from the farm. We’ve had a convoluted arrangement for years and I am pleased the time has come that he is prepared to let go. The second cottage which was supposed to be complete by end November, is now scheduled for February. Rome wasn’t built in a day, but ulcers can develop quickly. I decided that I was not going to get an ulcer…

My marketing strategy needs to be improved on the cottages. Then gradually they will generate more money. Meanwhile I have the teaching income. If along the way someone comes with really a good project and the money up front, I might even design another garden. However, I’ve learnt how uncertain a source of income that can be in present times and places.

But this is a gardening forum. And I haven’t mentioned my garden yet. There hangs the rub. I have so many plans, and limited time and funds to implement them. I have had serious staffing problems, but have an excellent prospect. Hopefully early in the new year I will have something to share…

Meanwhile my garden is looking neat and I am pleased with the mid-summer condition it is in – especially considering the staffing problems we have had. This being rural South Africa, there is plentiful cheap and willing labour, even if it is often highly unskilled. However I have found some gems amongst a group of temps I employed in November, and will be making permanent appointments in the new year. Hopefully maintenance will improve further next year, especially on hedges and garden beds, and we will start on a few new projects too.

And so, as I sign out for 2010, may I wish all my frends at Mooseys a wonderful 2011 filled with satisfied expectations, unexpected pleasures and no unpleasant unexpecteds :D

I signed in the year with a pic of Louis' new year flowers; I sign out wth Louis' Christmas flowers, done with one hand as he had an operation to re-attach the muscles to his left(handed) shoulder and is in a sling for six weeks. Although I did a lot of picking and cutting under his very strict instrctions, I am none the wiser as to how he actually gets a collection of whatever is available to look so good. It is clear that Louis ham-handed is infinitely more skillful than I am unhandicapped...
Louis' Christmas flowers.jpg

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

Re: Goodbye to 2010

27 Dec '10 9:13 pm
jack two wrote:Meanwhile my garden is looking neat and I am pleased with the mid-summer condition it is in

Way ahead of mine, and I only have a suburban block.
Very best wishes for 2011!

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

28 Dec '10 7:36 am
That's a gorgeous posy. Louis has real talent.

A nice wrap up of the year Jack. Does any of the farm go to you your sister?

Here's hoping 2011 treats you well. :D

jack two
The new improved Jack Holloway v.2

28 Dec '10 6:09 pm
Thank you MacFlax, and may 2011 be a great year for you and your garden! Remember that your expectations fro a suburban block, as far as neatness goes, is probably a lot more than I expect from my rural garden!

May 2011 be a memorable year for you and your young family, Kerole! The inheritance thing is complicated. Basically I bought the farm from my dad at a minimal market price some years ago, most of that written off against the annual tax-free gift amount over the years; I paid the last installment from my inheritance from my mom. At the time my father helped my sister to buy their farm and my brother with a business venture, thus passing on a large part of our inheritance early. But the crop of pine trees (strange to think of a 25-year investment as a crop, but it is) has always belonged to my dad. I am now buying that. That sorts the complicated business of my not having an income from the farm (we cut about 1ha of trees per year on a 25 year rotation) and my having to calculate from a daily schedule what work was farm work, what was garden maintenance around his house and what was Jack's OTT concepts of gardening :lol:

2011 will see all of that becoming my responsibility, and as I wll never have my father's financial power, the need to develop tourism - especally the accommodation - is a vital part of ensuring a good chance of sustaining a lifestyle which is really beyond my means...

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

28 Dec '10 9:03 pm
Thanks for the clarification Jack. In hindsight it was a bit of a blunt personal question :oops:

Having the whole farm under your singular control makes life easy for all. Very clean.

moosey
head gardener

29 Dec '10 8:11 pm
Ha! It took me less that two minutes to work out what OTT might mean - but if you hadn't inserted the beaming face it would have taken much longer.

All the very best Jack with your latest set of life's juggling balls. I hope they don't turn into ice-axes (?) and that you are reduced to doing street performances in the local shopping mall. Better to perform in front of a captive audience (a class of students, for example, hee hee) throwing words around.

Will write properly next year. And try and become a better gardener, with a greater understanding of the needs of plants. Easy - my NYRs already done and dusted.
Cheers, M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

Previous

Return to My Garden Diaries