Re: Jack in 2010

15 Oct '10 3:19 pm
Lovely photos Jack.
I think the Aussie term is woop woop?

jack two
The new improved Jack Holloway v.2

17 Oct '10 9:57 pm
A week since my last pics - spring has matured. There are wonderful leaves everywhere, the weather has been damp if not yet wet and the late azaleas are going fortissimo. The first roses are getting into their stride and the irises are blooming. A walk around the garden is becoming overwhelming. So much to see!
White azaleas from cottage.jpg
One of the set-piece views in Sequoia Gardens. More marketing is needed: the cottage stands empty this weekend.
Ready for visitors 2.jpg
The white theme dominates on both sides of Freddy's Dam at this time of year...
Ready for visitors.jpg
...and yet a guest who was due this week but unfortunately had to cancel, a keen gardener with a deep pocket, told me that when there was a choice she never went for the white flowers in any plant.
Best of friends.jpg
Watching Abigail and Mateczka play is a constant joy. M is so gentle with her, and often has her head right on the ground to be more her fighting size!

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

17 Oct '10 11:21 pm
Jack, the water is so beautiful in your first photo. Love seeing the dogs!

moosey
head gardener

18 Oct '10 7:20 am
Blast! I should be there enjoying the cottage. Jack, if you could just organise your spring ever so slightly, shifting it forwards (or backwards) by about six months? Cheers, hugs to the dogs. What a lovely home they have. M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

moosey
head gardener

18 Oct '10 7:22 am
Oops - and what a lovely home you have too!
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

jack two

18 Oct '10 7:35 am
We all know where your priorities lie, Moosey - and I'm certain your children and NGO will agree with me :wink: :D

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

19 Oct '10 10:12 am
I seem to have missed your latest batch of photos. :(

Your cottage looks absolutely delicious! The colour is gorgeous - barn red. Perfect.

My ears pricked at the comment made by your renegging gardening friend re never choosing white flowers. In many instances I have to agree! Aside from my blasted white gardens, I tend to use white sparingly in the garden. I find pure white to be a bit harsh and does nothing to showcase other colours or plants.

I still love a white garden though! They are cool, invigorating, and very styly. I'm sure Vita would agree! Your sweeps of white-on-white are stunning. 8)

jack two

7 Nov '10 6:34 pm
Right - this is a bit cheeky. I'm going to try to cut and paste an entire post from my blog. Yo see, I think it is both rather good and rather important news. And linking is just a little too mch like cheating. So here goes...

Done. Hmmm. Text copied effortlessly. Pics ignored. Let's try to paste to Word, then copy and paste from Word...

At its best the Italian pot which marked the end of the vista down the Rosemary Terrace looked like this. Yet even then the conifer seemed windblown and the Abelia ‘Francis Mason’ cubes were out of scale and straining at the lead. But the perceptive might have noticed the past tense in the above. Because things are changing.

The map – click on it to enlarge – shows the new visitors’ entrance I am working on. The red loop show the anti-clockwise movement of vehicles through the new parking area. And the new entrance will be along the axis of the Rosemary Terrace, past the pot whose sole purpose was to close the vista down the long, narrow terrace in the past. A beginning and an end are not the same I have realised. (Besides – the pot composition was seriously in need of attention, the abelias out of hand and the conifer departed.) Not seen in the photo below, lost in the cube of abelia at the end of the lawn, is the pot…

No luck. And I need to complete my marking today in order to return the grades before the final examinations start. So sorry all. Here is a link: http://sequoiagardens.wordpress.com/201 ... -entrance/
:)

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

9 Nov '10 2:46 pm
Thanks for sharing your plans Jack. I love a good 'before and after' session. Sequoia looks fab!

My ten cents worth (though I don't think it was actually asked for!) :oops:

I love the big urn and I like that a bit of the hedge behind it has been removed. I like the water feature idea.. it was one of two things that immediately sprung to mind when I first saw it. That or a low creeper spilling gently over the edge. One third of the way down the sides of the pot and no further. If it's to be a pond, then some very low growing grasses filling in the strict square at its base... like a mini Acorus or mondo or something similar. Maybe 4 small concrete spheres at the corners? I dunno. Maybe...

The salvias etc in the borders look lovely - this is a particularly nice colour scheme to use when you want to slow people down along a path. Blues, purples, and dusky pinks are calming and make people stop and peruse rather than charging down to the endpoint. There should be little or no hot colours in this stretch.

I love the directness of the view and the flat swathe of stripy lawn. I agree the hedge top needs to be dead flat.

I wish I were there to lend a shovelling hand. But alas, a virtual wander will have to do...

Love it!

jack two

Crinum macowanii

28 Nov '10 11:08 pm
Three weeks on, and none of the development work has actually happened - although decisions of note are being processed. However my staff have been hard at it, after a terrible hiccup which included two people being fired, one not returning to work at the beginning of November and, saddest of all, the death in his sleep of a gentle man who spent most of his days sweeping leaves... The firing worked wonders though in healing rifts and stopping negativity and I am constantly amazed at what all is being achieved with the help of a few temps who are all eager to earn a post next year. Gardening on this scale, I have said before, is not possible in most places other than Africa... and the issues and problems that a manager of people faces here will confuse the most seasoned of HR experts in the rest of the world...

The delays are all my fault though: it is marking season at school, the academic year having ended on Friday and teachers completing the year this coming week. And finishing the 2nd cottage has been on my mind...

On my blog a lot of the focus has been on wild flowers. And on roses and the future of the Rondel Garden. Here are a few pics taken yesterday of Crinum macowanii which grows wild on the farm. This one is in the garden, though.
Crinum at the bottom end of Alfred's Arches.jpg
Crinum macowanii 2.jpg

PreviousNext

Return to My Garden Diaries