Pre-spring garden tour...

tea root

Pre-spring garden tour...

10 Mar '09 11:58 am
It's a cool March day and there is much green life around the house outside to tell you about. Starting off, there's the circular bed. To me, it seems to look even better than last spring with an abundance of daffodils and some tulips tucked in as well. Some of the daffodils have buds and there is this spot of yellow from a large unopened bloom that appears to be too heavy for the stem that it crowns. Another smaller bud next to it has its yellow petals peeking out.

Moving on to the southwest facing flowerbed on the side of the house, there are blue-green rosettes at the base of the sedum at the corner. The spindley stems with the attached seedheads badly need to be cut back when the time comes. Out of the two plantings of rose campion, one of them pulled through the winter and looks rather decent. 'Snow Hill' salvia has some nice green leaves at the soil line and just a little bit of the creeping thyme is hanging in there. Obedient plant leaves are here and there in this left corner of the bed while the Eucalyptus sports a rosy brown color. If this is a perennial, it doesn't appear to have made it. Meanwhile, the goldenrod and echinacea appear to be goners. Moving closer to the center, the jewel-green Hollyhock plants look great and they should bloom in a few months since this is their second year. Naturally, some of the liriope foliage looks brown after this harsh winter while the dusty miller looks rough and may get pulled up. I know one of them most likely will. Candytuft is doing well and has new growth at the base and 'David' phlox has made a comeback as a nice tuft of green foliage. Meanwhile, poppies are dotted in just a few places. Moving past the center, euphorbia has new growth at the base and the old growth will be cut back to the soil. Now the santolina is a little brown, but looks okay overall with some new growth at the base. Tri-colored euonymous looks really good after this cold winter and so does the honeysuckle with many new leaves along its branches. Little blue-green rosettes of Siebold sedum look attractive against the light-brown bare earth and tufts of daylily leaves give a clue to where the bulbs are hiding. Getting closer to the right corner of the bed, the lamb's ear looks great and so do the leaves of 'May Night' salvia which are hugging the dirt. Columbine 'Blue Swan' has healthy foliage while achillea has only few ferny leaves and then next to that is another Obedient plant that's coming up. Then on down to the far corner are emerging tulips, attractive iris leaves, and tufts of wild onion.

Now this southwest facing flowerbed runs along the driveway, and on the other side of this driveway a little further down is a clump of lycoris leaves and then nearby are some kind of bulb leaves that I didn't recognize.

Let's go on to the fairy garden where that other columbine plant is. I saw some healthy foliage from that. And then I spotted a couple of places where wild strawberry leaves have emerged.

We move now across the yard to the main garden where at the edge there is some kind of bulb foliage that has come up and it makes me think of the lycoris I saw a few moments ago. I see that the Strawberry Foxglove has pulled through the winter. It's showing small pale green leaves. The common sage up ahead looks rough, but I see new leaves at the base of the plant and along the branches. The rose bush looks awful, yet it has buds and the lavender is nice and bushy. And the yarrow out here looks healthy. Back at the garden's edge and on the other side of the Corkscrew Willow tree are what appear to be crocus leaves.

Leaving the garden and going back toward the house there is an apple tree between this yard and my parents' yard. Well, a little bit away from the trunk are attractive white-margined leaves that have come up. The blooms from them are something to see.

Then walking along the northeast flowerbed up to the front of the house are bluebells coming up and a few daffodils. In the front yard and around the trunk of this big oak tree are more tulips emerging and then we make our way to the front porch. Growing in the ground right in front of it is a healthy-looking Salad Bernet herb on the right side of the step. Creeping phlox grows on both side of the step. Now on the left side I had planted Thrift, but I didn't see it for all the leaves covering it up if it even survived. On the porch itself sits a pot of cemetery vine which is a creeping sedum. Then close to the house on the porch is a bigger pot with clumps of 'Garnet Brocade' peeping above the soil.
Last edited by tea root on 15 Mar '09 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

14 Mar '09 11:40 pm
Ooh, what an exciting time in the garden.
I'm just wondering what the eucalyptus is you mentioned?

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

A busy garden

15 Mar '09 5:37 am
What a fascinating garden display-spring brings so much hope,doesn't it.
Though everthing sounds interesting,I am curious about the green hollyhocks-I didn't know they came in green?

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

More, more...

15 Mar '09 7:48 am
What a fab written garden tour. Where are the pictures? I would also love to know about the green hollyhocks - I have a fascination with green flowers. :D

tea root

15 Mar '09 1:50 pm
MacFlax wrote:Ooh, what an exciting time in the garden.
I'm just wondering what the eucalyptus is you mentioned?

I think it's an herb. And the leaves are circular and go around the long stem or branches that they're on like beads on a string. I'd show you a photo of it if I had one.

tea root

Re: A busy garden

15 Mar '09 1:52 pm
Dixie wrote:What a fascinating garden display-spring brings so much hope,doesn't it.
Though everthing sounds interesting,I am curious about the green hollyhocks-I didn't know they came in green?

Oh, I didn't mean to confuse anyone. :) I meant that the leaves were very green and I've edited that part in my entry. The hollyhocks have not bloomed yet.

tea root

Re: More, more...

15 Mar '09 1:55 pm
Kerole wrote:What a fab written garden tour. Where are the pictures? I would also love to know about the green hollyhocks - I have a fascination with green flowers. :D

Thanks for the compliment! The hollyhocks have not bloomed yet. I was talking about the leaves being green and I've edited that in the entry. There should be much more to write about come summer if my garden will do I as hope. :)

Return to My Garden Diaries