Kerole's Place

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

Spring 2016

6 Sep '16 7:42 am
Oh my. Where have all those months gone? I fear I have nothing of interest to share from all that time away from Mooseys. Non-gardening life has been demanding and then winter came (and went).

My garden has been largely neglected for many months. The 4 segments making up the round White Gardens are overgrown, the shape no longer clearly discernible (that spelling looks odd). The kikuyu grass has infiltrated one of the yellow front Pear Gardens to the point where I may have to haul everything out and start again. The lawns are only just drying out enough to mow. There are weeds everywhere I look.

There are also spring lovelies everywhere I look too. The jonquils and daffodils have finished, the big purple violets are soldiering on, and there are yellow hot poker buds sprouting tall from their weedy beds.

But it is the Taiwanese cherries (Prunus campanulata 'Superba') that take centre stage at this time of year. Gaudy, vibrant magenta-pink, I initially thought I could never live with this much of this colour so close to the house. Fortunately it flowers when nothing else does, a riot of blossom on 8 stout trees forming a wall of eye-searing pink.

And with the vibrant flowers comes hoards of native tuis, their dark iridescent feathers shining like oil in the late winter sun. They fight over the flowers, sometimes as many as 30 birds per tree, gorging on nectar after surviving the sparse winter months. Their presence is one of the very best bits about August.
1.JPG
2.JPG

moosey
head gardener

Re: Kerole's Place

8 Sep '16 5:51 pm
Yeay! Kerole! Have been thinking about you and your spring things. And your under-gardeners, too - they must be growing so much. Love those tui. I've had a flock of Monarch butterflies - looks like about thirty of them - all fluttering in the flowering Viburnums. Apparently (according to my expert friend) Monarchs from the last lot of grubs to hatch find a tree to winter over in. My garden has never been butterfly-alive like this before.

And I've got some new bell-birds. Their song is completely different from the others. So i'm thinking two families - how lovely! And for the first time the seed-ball has attracted some - finches? Two different styles and colours of bird - chunkier than the waxeyes. Usually the only feeding birds I get are waxeyes. I think that tuis are a little rare down this far south.

Great to hear from you. Cheers, all the best, M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

9 Sep '16 1:25 pm
Spring is very much here and I'm not ready for it!

Vile winter storms upended one of the white obelisks my elderly Dad made. A sturdy Graham Thomas and new Eden rose were lashed to it, as well as my pride and joy HF Young clematis. The obelisk left the bed, flew through the air and landed on the lawn before rolling into horse paddock fence. The obelisk fortunately survived with only a bit of damage but my poor roses were a mess, broken and frayed canes all over, and horrors of all horrors, the clematis was snapped right off at ground level!

I found enough courage this morning to have a look in that bed, and YAY! the clematis is sprouting beautifully from the stem beneath the ground.

I have been doing the great NZ Bee Count (on line) and although I see plenty of bee things, I have yet to see much in the way of fluttery things. This one made for a lovely image when I was taking pet portraits of this fabulously wrinkly Neopolitan Mastiff.
3.JPG

moosey
head gardener

9 Sep '16 2:17 pm
Oh my goodness! What a picture! Sorry to hear about your flying roses. Jolly weather! Cheers, M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

25 Sep '16 3:09 am
Oh Kerole, three absolutely wonderful pictures!
I'm sorry about the storms, I'm glad your obelisk was relatively unscathed and I hope your roses and clematis recover well.

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

Non-Gardening Content

5 Oct '16 7:43 pm
I have flowery updates but no time to post about it just yet. Pet portraits have been keeping me away from the dire weedy mess that is my garden.
So today, for your viewing pleasure, I offer pup pictures taken in the weekend.
These are Labrador puppies in Hawke's Bay. One chocolate and three black.
They are for sale... :)
1a.JPG
1b.JPG
2a.JPG
2b.JPG
5.JPG

moosey
head gardener

6 Oct '16 2:06 pm
OH my goodness! The classic big burly father sort of asleep with tiny pudgy baby pose! Love these puppy pix. Drooling, but not weakening, since I am looking after two extra large dogs next week for 10 days, which means I will have four gardening dogs. Eek! Cheers, M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

More pups

6 Oct '16 6:26 pm
Two of the black 'uns...
3a.JPG
3b.JPG

moosey
head gardener

7 Oct '16 5:59 pm
OH my! So tiny and so wrinkly!
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

30 Oct '16 6:09 pm
My daughter picking flowers for a friend.
This gorgeous little rose is Cecile Brunner, the button hole rose, arching beautifully over one end of the chicken house.
e1.JPG

PreviousNext

Return to My Garden Diaries